What happens if you miss embarkation?

Have been wondering what happens if we have a flight cancellation or delay and miss embarkation in Rome.  Would we be able to meet the ship in Naples which is the first stop?  I seem to remember that this wouldn’t be allowed from a US port.  If you miss embarkation you can’t try to catch up.    It would be an easy, cheap, train trip down to Naples if it were allowed. If it has to happen, Rome with Naples as the next stop would be the place to do it.  Knowing we have that option would  ease my mind so much about flight delays.   Any one have any idea?

We always arrive at least a day early in the US. We sailed from Rome (Civitavecchia) this summer and arrived several days early to explore. I would never feel comfortable flying in on the day of a cruise, especially internationally. 

• Like 7

. We have an event in Belgium the day before that conflicts with the last flight to Rome the night before. If I could have been on it I would have booked it. Believe me.   We are supposed to land in Rome at 930 am so have as much cushion as I could get with a 8pm departure that night.   I can call Royal.. Just wanting to see if anyone on CC has any insight.  

• Like 1

We have had friends miss the embarkation and they were able to join at the next port.  They had to fly at their own expense though.  My understanding is that if you are using Royal for your air transportation they will cover that.

I would think you could do this.

I would think it important though that as soon as you know you’ll miss embarkation that you let Royal know what has happened and what your intentions are.

24 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I would think you could do this.

I would think it important though that as soon as you know you’ll miss embarkation that you let Royal know what has happened and what your intentions are.

Exactly, otherwise your room could be given to someone with a Royal Up bid in. 

• Like 1

For sure hoping it doesn’t happen but won’t be the end of the world, in this situation, to have an extra evening in Rome given Naples is so easy to get to. 

Edited by taymiss2

If you're already in Europe, you should be fine as there will be other flights you can jump on to get there (at your expense). Royal has a department for day-of travel emergencies that you can call in an absolute last case scenario to make plans to meet the ship if possible. Linked here.

1 hour ago, notscb said:

If you're already in Europe, you should be fine as there will be other flights you can jump on to get there (at your expense). Royal has a department for day-of travel emergencies that you can call in an absolute last case scenario to make plans to meet the ship if possible. Linked here.

Awesome!  Thanks for the info.  I will be able to enjoy our time precruise so much more. The whole reason we will be in Europe to begin with is the event in Belgium. Added the cruise on last minute. 

• Like 2

Just back from a Princess cruise out of Rome (with Naples as the next stop), and there happened to be a train strike in Rome on embarkation day, so yes, hundreds of folks were delayed/late and had to join the ship the next day.  I even met one woman who joined the cruise four days late, as she had some other issues with travel.

Luckily for us (not really luck, I am an intense planner) we arrived in Rome multiple days before the cruise, and also took a private shuttle car to the port.

Since your ship is departing late at night, you should have no problem boarding the same day the flight arrives (there may be a one or two hour cut off for embarkation before ship departure).  Do you have transportation reserved already from the airport, or will you take a taxi?  The cost is about 150 Euros for a taxi.  Does RC offer some kind of transportation you can purchase?

Have a great time!

We were recently on a Med cruise out of Barcelona that was a 7 day ending in  Civitavecchia. We were talking to a couple who told us they had an issue with their flight from the US and were able to board in Marseille which was Day 3 and our first port stop after a day at sea. I don’t know if their flight was booked through Royal or not.

8 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Just back from a Princess cruise out of Rome (with Naples as the next stop), and there happened to be a train strike in Rome on embarkation day, so yes, hundreds of folks were delayed/late and had to join the ship the next day.  I even met one woman who joined the cruise four days late, as she had some other issues with travel.

Luckily for us (not really luck, I am an intense planner) we arrived in Rome multiple days before the cruise, and also took a private shuttle car to the port.

Since your ship is departing late at night, you should have no problem boarding the same day the flight arrives (there may be a one or two hour cut off for embarkation before ship departure).  Do you have transportation reserved already from the airport, or will you take a taxi?  The cost is about 150 Euros for a taxi.  Does RC offer some kind of transportation you can purchase?

Have a great time!

I was planning on taking the train but wondered if I need a back up planned in case of train strike.  I believe those are planned ahead of time so should have some notice. 

11 hours ago, BettyCruiser said:

I have heard of people disembarking early in Naples, so I don’t think Italy has a law similar the PVSA in the US so catching up to the ship in Naples shouldn’t be a problem.

It's not Italy, but the EU that has cabotage laws similar to the PVSA in the US.  However, since the members of the EU are sovereign nations and not states like the US, it gets a bit more complicated, and "downlining" could be disallowed in certain circumstances, but generally it is okay.  The OP's situation should not be a problem.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

It's not Italy, but the EU that has cabotage laws similar to the PVSA in the US.  However, since the members of the EU are sovereign nations and not states like the US, it gets a bit more complicated, and "downlining" could be disallowed in certain circumstances, but generally it is okay.  The OP's situation should not be a problem.

Awesome! Hope for the best but plan for the worst case scenario is my motto. Ha