So are you Blue Lane today? I was supposed to be but am still green?

SwimCarrie

Two things happen today, the status went blue… a few minutes later went green…

Sooo I paid for the shipping when I order the medallions the day of booking. 

So each time you reload the app.. you will go blue… then a few moments back to green.  I guess they are checking for issues.  

But they are not open to tell you the cause, if you go blue… You have to search it yourself.

secondly today they discontinued the arrival group question.  Now they are assigning your arrival times.  Only folks who are not bothered, Elite, Platinum and the Premiere Plus subscribers.  You just show up when you like.

lots of changes… 

Edited by DuaneO
Grammer

Just had a look on our Ocean Ready and saw that all of us had gone from Green to Blue. 

We are in UK so picking medallions up at Southampton, presumably therefore that is to be expected 

Cruise isn't until 2024 so expect it to change more than a chameleon changes colour 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2023 at 10:47 AM, SwimCarrie said:

Anyone change to Blue today since you didn't pay shipping for the medallion? I was supposed to turn blue, but didn't? 🤷‍♀️

I do not think it really matters.  You get there.  They will ask if you have your medallion.  If you have it you go one way, if you do not you go the other.  Does not seem to make much difference in getting through check in.  Have not had anyone actually look at the colors in 8 cruises in the past year.

We are Canadian, so not eligible for shipping. Shipping to Canada and UK "coming soon" although not in time for our cruise. Yesterday our status went from Green Lane to Blue Lane, and later in the day back to Green Lane. Today our status is back to Blue Lane. 🤨

Pick up at the port is really no hassle, but why does Princess need to make a big deal of Medallion Shipping to those of us who are not USA residents?? The Plus 60 package on my app continues to show "Medallion Shipping".

Happy  Trails!

seachelt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DuaneO said:

secondly today they discontinued the arrival group question.  Now they are assigning your arrival times.  Only folks who are not bothered, Elite, Platinum and the Premiere Plus subscribers.  You just show up when you like.

They are not assigning arrival times.  The whole concept is gone.  What did you see?  What they are likely doing is showing the check-in time window.  This is per a PCL webinar for TA's on July 13 where this change was presented and discussed. 

There is no such thing as Premiere Plus subscribers.  Do you mean guest who purchased the Plus cruise fare option or the Premier cruise fare option?  If so, they have no special priority for check-in at the terminal.  Standard fare guests can also show up at their convenience. 

If a guest has Medallion in hand due to advance shipping, they are assigned to Green Lane at the terminal.  If guest is picking up Medallion, they are assigned Blue Lane.  However, the VP Sales also said folks can go in any lane and be served.  Sometimes the Blue Lane will be shorter if majority of guests have Medallions. 

Suites and Elite have top priority advance boarding onto the ship - which only means something if they have arrived and are checked in prior to commencement of boarding.

Platinum and guests who book Reserve Class cabins and are not yet Platinum or Elite also have a second priority for boarding the ship.  Other guests at the terminal prior to boarding follow after onto the ship.  Once the terminal is cleared, arriving guest simply proceed onto the ship after check-in.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Just turned blue but hadn't ordered medallion as we are not "home" for the summer and board on 8/14. Not too concerned but without paying the premium prices we keep getting lower in the food chain even being "Elite" (not so much any more..)

For future reference, you can have Medallions shipped to any address in USA.  For example, in Fall 2019, we cruised out of PE, FL, and I had Medallions shipped to our pre-cruise hotel because I couldn't get them sent into Canada.  (But that is going to change soon enough as PCL's major markets are all going to be eligible for Medallion shipping).

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

They are not assigning arrival times.  The whole concept is gone.  What did you see?  What they are likely doing is showing the check-in time window.  This is per a PCL webinar for TA's on July 13 where this change was presented and discussed. 

There is no such thing as Premiere Plus subscribers.  Do you mean guest who purchased the Plus cruise fare option or the Premier cruise fare option?  If so, they have no special priority for check-in at the terminal.  Standard fare guests can also show up at their convenience. 

If a guest has Medallion in hand due to advance shipping, they are assigned to Green Lane at the terminal.  If guest is picking up Medallion, they are assigned Blue Lane.  However, the VP Sales also said folks can go in any lane and be served.  Sometimes the Blue Lane will be shorter if majority of guests have Medallions. 

Suites and Elite have top priority advance boarding onto the ship - which only means something if they have arrived and are checked in prior to commencement of boarding.

Platinum and guests who book Reserve Class cabins and are not yet Platinum or Elite also have a second priority for boarding the ship.  Other guests at the terminal prior to boarding follow after onto the ship.  Once the terminal is cleared, arriving guest simply proceed onto the ship after check-in.

Well most of us are not TA.  we just use the app and are at the mercy of PCL if it works.

So we don’t always get the big picture like you did.

I was on the app yesterday, went to arrive time, that kept telling me it’s too early for assignment.  Today at 8am I went to see if I can assign my arrival time and there was nothing.  I looked at the app (Apple) and they updated the app last night.  Called my PCL rep, she told me they did remove that option, but it wasn’t notified to the general guest. 

sorry, Plus

and I’m a Platinum member, going to elite on my next cruise… they allowed us for at lease 10 cruises thru that line that’s marked suites and Elite.

Edited by DuaneO

48 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You must be referring to Apple Devices.  It is separate for Apple/Android.

Correct.  I looks like the Android update went live a little earlier on 07/31/23.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 145504.jpeg

38 minutes ago, DuaneO said:

Well most of us are not TA.  we just use the app and are at the mercy of PCL if it works.

I was on the app yesterday, went to arrive time, that kept telling me it’s too early for assignment.  Today at 8am I went to see if I can assign my arrival time and there was nothing.  I looked at the app (Apple) and they updated the app last night.  Called my PCL rep, she told me they did remove that option, but it wasn’t notified to the general guest. 

sorry, Plus

and I’m a Platinum member, going to elite on my next cruise… they allowed us for at lease 10 cruises thru that line that’s marked suites and Elite.

Platinum is the level that qualified for priority boarding so that was correct.

Edited by ldtr

24 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

Green still but I always order my medallions shipped. I just want to get on at the port not wait around

With the medallion system not much waiting around.  In the old days we would show up at 11, have long lines checking in even with the priority line. Then sit in the Elite embarkation area and boarding would start around noon.

These days show up at 10:30.  No real lines on either side (blue or green).  Takes maybe 30 seconds longer for the person to retrieve the medallions if you do not have them already.  Usually on board by 11.  

1 hour ago, DuaneO said:

sorry, Plus

I am not a TA.  Anyone can watch the webinar live or in replay.  Be that as it may, the changes were posted here on Princess forum with lots of people posting about it.  Sorry, you missed it, but it isn't a big deal now that Arrival Groups are gone as they didn't matter anyway.

1 hour ago, DuaneO said:

I’m a Platinum member, going to elite on my next cruise… they allowed us for at lease 10 cruises thru that line that’s marked suites and Elite.

If you use west coast ports typically, I have not been, but pretty much everything I have read is that Suites and Elites board first if have been waiting in the lounge and then Platinums follow.  Yes, they would often have same check-in line, but then receive different letters for boarding groups for when that would open.  I never seen Platinums go onto the ship at the same moment as Suites and Elites.  But welcome to Elite and you can now be among the first to board if you arrive at the terminal early enought.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Correct.  I looks like the Android update went live a little earlier on 07/31/23.

What I notice is that the update date of the App is a good day before it is in the Play Store.  It was not there on July 31 and not sure if it was there on Aug 1... could be loaded up any time of day/night I suppose.  The two platforms have different version numbers and I have no idea why they continue with such an odd numbering scheme for Android version.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ldtr said:

With the medallion system not much waiting around.  In the old days we would show up at 11, have long lines checking in even with the priority line. Then sit in the Elite embarkation area and boarding would start around noon.

These days show up at 10:30.  No real lines on either side (blue or green).  Takes maybe 30 seconds longer for the person to retrieve the medallions if you do not have them already.  Usually on board by 11.  

Let's give credit where credit is due.  Quick processing and earlier boarding came about because of the App not the Medallion.  It speeds things up when the guests can check themselves in via the App.  Port agents just have to verify identity and fill in the blanks of anything missing, if needed.  RC and X have had paperless app check-in allowing for shorter check-in times/earlier boarding even before the pandemic and they don't make use of the Medallion; they still use key cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

If you use west coast ports typically, I have not been, but pretty much everything I have read is that Suites and Elites board first if have been waiting in the lounge and then Platinums follow.  Yes, they would often have same check-in line, but then receive different letters for boarding groups for when that would open.  I never seen Platinums go onto the ship at the same moment as Suites and Elites.  But welcome to Elite and you can now be among the first to board if you arrive at the terminal early enought.

Lately the difference in time is about 5 minutes. 

The Priority line for processing is actually a Platinum level benefit. As such when they say go to the line marked Elite/Suite that would fit with the benefit.  They did not say to the Elite/Suite  Lounge while waiting to board.

45 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Let's give credit where credit is due.  Quick processing and earlier boarding came about because of the App not the Medallion.  It speeds things up when the guests can check themselves in via the App.  Port agents just have to verify identity and fill in the blanks of anything missing, if needed.  RC and X have had paperless app check-in allowing for shorter check-in times/earlier boarding even before the pandemic and they don't make use of the Medallion; they still use key cards.

Note that the name of the App is Princess Medallion Class.  As such the use of the term Medallion applies to the App as well as the device.  They both Medallion. The all work together as part of the whole of the Medallion hardware/software system.

Edited by ldtr

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

My status changed from green to blue as expected.

Hi, Steeler36, do you know if I(Platinum) can bring my mom and aunt (who are gold) with me to priority check in? They have their own room.

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Lately the difference in time is about 5 minutes. 

The Priority line for processing is actually a Platinum level benefit. As such when they say go to the line marked Elite/Suite that would fit with the benefit.  They did not say to the Elite/Suite  Lounge while waiting to board.

Note that the name of the App is Princess Medallion Class.  As such the use of the term Medallion applies to the App as well as the device.  They both Medallion. The all work together as part of the whole of the Medallion hardware/software system.

Not to be semantic, but Medallion and Medallion App are not synonymous or interchangeable with each other.  The Medallion is the actual device.  The Medallion App is the cruise line program used on phones/tablets.  One can be used without the other.  The Medallion is required use (unless you swap it for a cruise card) and allows guests to unlock their cabins and use portals (don't even have to use those).  The Medallion App is not required use but allows for pre-arrival check-in, dining/excursion/spa reservations, and checking Journey View/Journey Account--all functions that don't require the Medallion and are optional use.  

It would be like saying an Apple AirTag is the same as the Apple Find My App.  One doesn't work without the other, but they are not the same thing.

1 hour ago, adventurenerd said:

My status changed from green to blue as expected.

Hi, Steeler36, do you know if I(Platinum) can bring my mom and aunt (who are gold) with me to priority check in? They have their own room.

Thanks.

You  can ask.  Technically, the answer is no.  But typically you can do one extra per member.  Probably good if an elderly family member.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SCX22 said:

It would be like saying an Apple AirTag is the same as the Apple Find My App.  One doesn't work without the other, but they are not the same thing.

I thought you said the Medallion (device) can work without the MedallionClass App?