Unpopular Opinion: I'm excited about the changes to Plus and Premier

drwbrt

32 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There could be a fly in the ointment.  It looks like sharing could be allowed at Alfredo's.  There are a la carte as well as the 14.99 option.  At the Salty Dog though, it's currently three courses per person for $18.00.  Unless the Salty Dog's menu goes a la carte, then sharing would be verboten since it's a per person charge similar to Crown Grill and not a la carte.  Salty Dog looks nice, but is way too much food for lunch and there are better options for dinner.

We just got off the Emerald in July and from what I remember, someone mentioned that the Salty Dog now has an A la Carte menu.   We did not eat there, so I can't confirm

31 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The Salty Dog GastroPub also has an a la carte menu and the cover charge is no longer $18.  one of their small plates, as they refer to them, is now only $10 and the price fix menu is also $14.99 for two small plates and dessert.  

Sadly, they aren’t open for lunch.  That may change in time, though.  

I mistakenly assumed they were open for lunch.  The only time we would go there is on our recently booked two 4 day cruises on the Discovery.  The 160 to bump up from Plus to Premier is the cost for 2 dinners in specialty venues that we get per sailing.  This way all of the other perks associated with premier is pure gravy.  After the 4 day B2B we are staying on for another 7.  At this point, we're slumming it that week with only the Plus, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Correct me if I’m wrong .. or even if you just disagree with my thoughts on the OceanNow feature on the app.  
I believe Princess, upon the restart in July 2021, started with the expanded room service menu and delivery to wherever you might be on the ship to keep people from forming crowds and keeping the dining rooms emptier to reduce close contact with others.  We will just bring whatever you want, even from the beverage package, directly to your room, or to the pool or to wherever you might be. 

YES - They increased the range of things that could be ordered to the cabin due to pandemic- related crowd concerns.  This went to regular meals which was only possible in Suites before.  All they needed to do was revert back stating it had been a Covid-19 measure.

NO - In the sense that Ocean Now was for delivery where you were in various ship venues and open deck for food and drinks, albeit the food was snacky and quick-service type stuff.  So I don't see a change there in the same way.  It existed pre-pandemic.

Well, fast forward to 2023 and now they’ve kept this in place but the ships are sailing at full capacity.  Do they cut down the number of these orders or do they hire more staff.  The former won out there.  The only way to cut back on the number of room service orders, now that we’re all spoiled, is to charge for it. 

Sure, but why not eliminate full meal service to cabins again?  Or have they?

Maybe it will work, maybe it won’t but they won’t be going backwards on the charges.  It sees, like all the lines are beginning to charge for delivery service, except for the continental breakfasts.  

Agree.

I see Celebrity implemented this earlier in the year and are charging more than twice of what Princess charges.  And, you can’t get your meal delivered to wherever you may be at the time .. it’s your room or not at all.  I’m sure it’s cut back on hiring more staff for that line.  
Anyway, it’s still a bargain on Princess as far as I’m concerned.  Yes, Princess is apparently less expensive based on various price comparison posts I have read in this forum in the past week or so.

I get the RS service charge for certain.  I understand the other one - from their revenue-generation perspective, but it just seems odd that this has happened given the original concept of the Medallion and App functionality.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, mikjr said:

We just got off the Emerald in July and from what I remember, someone mentioned that the Salty Dog now has an A la Carte menu.   We did not eat there, so I can't confirm

Have not seen it online.  But if the venue is only open at dinnertime, we would prefer other options.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It's not 60-80 worth of only beverages.  You're forgetting about the 16.00 per day for grats and the whatever per day for wifi.  As drwbrt said, there are a small percentage of people that can consume a lot of non-alcoholic drinks on a daily basis in order to make the plus package valuable to them after factoring in the wifi and gratuities as well. 

For us, the only problem is that the Wi-Fi isn't worth all that much as we don't need it. The free Wi-Fi we used to receive was more than sufficient. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 3:05 PM, kickbackcruisers said:

We were just on the Caribbean for 14 days, ate at Marketplace several evenings, there was never anything at Planks or Streamers. Usually one side closed & many crew eating in the back area.

yeah that's how it's been for quite some time.  I am assuming they're going to be bringing those back to life in the not too distant future.  If not, then that's definitely poor form. 

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

For us, the only problem is that the Wi-Fi isn't worth all that much as we don't need it. The free Wi-Fi we used to receive was more than sufficient. 

Unfortunately that ship has sailed.  I consider the wifi as part of the Plus package pure gravy since I've never paid for wifi unless it was part of a general package on Princess, Celebrity and MSC or limited minutes similar to NCL.  We have never used wifi on RCI or Carnival because we won't pay for it.  The 44 per day for the Plus package minus gratuities is worth it for our drink consumption since that is cheaper than any other cruise line.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2023 at 10:12 AM, drwbrt said:

We wanted to go back on NCL but the price was killing us. Princess won. 

Our last two cruises were both on NCL.  Pre covid transatlantic and Europe.   We booked an 11 day Mediterranean Cruise for September 2024.   At the time (early 2023) the price seemed very fair and our Big Box TA included crew gratuities.   We are also Platinum so free specialty meals included as well as liquor etc.   As some of us travel single the price seemed very good.    Today to book the same cruise it is 40% higher!   Complicated but NCL decided to Interport the ship by have passengers board at multiple ports and differing durations.   

Having not sailed Princess ( Elite) for many, many years I thought time to check out options.   We found a 14 day sailing on the Enchanted Nov 2024 from NYC to FLL stopping in great Caribbean Islands.   I priced it out and it was $100 less per day for a single and included the Premier Package, balcony etc just like on NCL.   In addition the Big Box TA has a group contract on that sailing and the price dropped quite a bit and an OBC of $150 is now included.   To top it off the deposit is only $100 ($135 for we Canadians).

So it seems Princess definitely beat out NCL in this circumstance.   I know it's difficult to compare cruises in differing parts of the world but always nice to have some options and competition.  BTW you can often find excellent pricing on NCL cruises after final payment of 120 days prior to sailing.   

• Like 1

Another thought on the pricing model now being used by Princess.   I have sailed 43 times over the last 45 years on a number of cruise lines (Princess Elite and NCL Platinum).    It has been 15 years since I was on Princess having sailed NCL and Celebrity over that time period.

Princess is now offering 3 options:   Standard with just the basics such as MDR, buffet etc.  Quite similar to the way it was when I first started sailing.   To be competitive to other lines such as NCL they offer the Plus package and then to compete with the NCL upgraded Free at Sea package they offer Premier.

NCL does not give you the option to opt out of their Free at Sea unless they have a Sailaway (aka guarantee) which typically comes closer to sailing.   Yes you can opt out of the Beverage package but you are really only saving the 20% tip on $109 per day in other words $21.80 per day.   The base cruise fare factors in the cost of liquor even if you don't take the Beverage package.   I have long time loyal NCL friends who refuse to try any other cruise line.   They are frugal and opt out of the Beverage package and also the Specialty Dining where you pay a small tip on the 2 or 3 free meals.   Not logical since NCL has really included in the base fare the cost of those meals.  Why opt out for such a small amount!

We have two future bookings for 2024.   One on NCL 11 days in Europe and the other on Princess 14 days in Caribbean.  The NCL cruise was booked last year and Princess last week.   On both sailings we have the full Free at Sea on NCL and on Princess we chose Premier.   Both include prepaid gratuities and the Princess cruise $150 OBC.    Same cabin types (single balcony).   Bottom line Princess is actually $100 less per day.   Most certainly hard to compare two cruises in different parts of the world from a financial standpoint.

I think Princess is overall very competitive to the other mainstream cruise lines such as NCL.  It would be much better, from a PR standpoint,had they grandfathered the additional perks to those that already booked in Plus and Premier prior to the changes.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TashaB said:

BTW you can often find excellent pricing on NCL cruises after final payment of 120 days prior to sailing.   

This is how I took my NCL cruise earlier this year.  I booked at about 80 days out.  @New2cruise2022 booked at maybe 100 days out.  We really haven't found anything that touched on that pricing.  I was able to book one of the studios and ended up bidding into a balcony for $115 (x2).  All in, with the FAS+ upgrade I was under $200/day for a single pass in a balcony with nearly all inclusive experience.  I can't find that deal anywhere today, certainly not on NCL.  Our Princess booking with five passengers is right at $165pp/day for two insides with everyone on Premier, and I will have a $0 balance on the last night.  I still feel like I'm getting good value, especially in comparison.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 12:59 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Correct me if I’m wrong .. or even if you just disagree with my thoughts on the OceanNow feature on the app.  
I believe Princess, upon the restart in July 2021, started with the expanded room service menu and delivery to wherever you might be on the ship to keep people from forming crowds and keeping the dining rooms emptier to reduce close contact with others.  We will just bring whatever you want, even from the beverage package, directly to your room, or to the pool or to wherever you might be. 

Well, fast forward to 2023 and now they’ve kept this in place but the ships are sailing at full capacity.  Do they cut down the number of these orders or do they hire more staff.  The former won out there.  The only way to cut back on the number of room service orders, now that we’re all spoiled, is to charge for it. 

Maybe it will work, maybe it won’t but they won’t be going backwards on the charges.  It sees, like all the lines are beginning to charge for delivery service, except for the continental breakfasts.  
I see Celebrity implemented this earlier in the year and are charging more than twice of what Princess charges.  And, you can’t get your meal delivered to wherever you may be at the time .. it’s your room or not at all.
 I’m sure it’s cut back on hiring more staff for that line.  
Anyway, it’s still a bargain on Princess as far as I’m concerned.  

And when RCL did it years ago we didn't get a notification before our cruise.  Nor did we expect one.  Were we shocked when we got on the cruise?  To say the least....did it ruin our cruise?  Got 3 more booked.  Anyday on a cruise is better than staying at home.....IMO

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TashaB said:

Our last two cruises were both on NCL.  Pre covid transatlantic and Europe.   We booked an 11 day Mediterranean Cruise for September 2024.   At the time (early 2023) the price seemed very fair and our Big Box TA included crew gratuities.   We are also Platinum so free specialty meals included as well as liquor etc.   As some of us travel single the price seemed very good.    Today to book the same cruise it is 40% higher!   Complicated but NCL decided to Interport the ship by have passengers board at multiple ports and differing durations.   

Having not sailed Princess ( Elite) for many, many years I thought time to check out options.   We found a 14 day sailing on the Enchanted Nov 2024 from NYC to FLL stopping in great Caribbean Islands.   I priced it out and it was $100 less per day for a single and included the Premier Package, balcony etc just like on NCL.   In addition the Big Box TA has a group contract on that sailing and the price dropped quite a bit and an OBC of $150 is now included.   To top it off the deposit is only $100 ($135 for we Canadians).

So it seems Princess definitely beat out NCL in this circumstance.   I know it's difficult to compare cruises in differing parts of the world but always nice to have some options and competition.  BTW you can often find excellent pricing on NCL cruises after final payment of 120 days prior to sailing.   

TashaB, I use the same TA, but lately their prices have been higher than booking directly with Princess online. Here's how I work around that.  After I select and book the perfect cabin with Princess, I then transfer the booking to the warehouse club and garner their post cruise cash gift card, plus an additional 3 percent when I pay for the cruise with their credit card.

Check it out.

27 minutes ago, getaway101 said:

And when RCL did it years ago we didn't get a notification before our cruise.  Nor did we expect one.  Were we shocked when we got on the cruise?  To say the least....did it ruin our cruise?  Got 3 more booked.  Anyday on a cruise is better than staying at home.....IMO

I think what we’ve all seen is all a lot of drama over a few extra bucks.  I’m a bargain traveler and the changes don’t bother me in the very least!  I was surprised it took them this long to implement those changes.   They’ve had that space open for the GastroPub for so long and it was underutilized.  Then, they had Alfredo’s/GiGis that were so over-utilized that one oftentimes couldn’t even get in without a long wait.  
I think it was a sensible move and fiscally responsible on their part to actually add them to the packages as now people that say the packages just aren’t worth it for them as they don’t drink alcohol, here is another couple perks added to make the packages more appealing to them now.  I know many standard fare passengers won’t see it that way but it’s because they perceive it as something taken away vs a real benefit added.  Once their ire dies down, they may see it that way.  That’s the way I look at it anyway but, then again, I was never angry about it in the first place.  

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

TashaB, I use the same TA, but lately their prices have been higher than booking directly with Princess online. Here's how I work around that.  After I select and book the perfect cabin with Princess, I then transfer the booking to the warehouse club and garner their post cruise cash gift card, plus an additional 3 percent when I pay for the cruise with their credit card.

Check it out.

Good morning.  Always happy for some good advice on booking.   I always start off by checking directly with the cruise line first and then with the Big Box.   In this circumstance (Nov 2, 2024 Enchanted 14 day Caribbean from NYC) the BB was less expensive when I went to the next stage of actually making the booking.   The availability of cabins was certainly much less (Category B balcony) so I would assume they have a group on this sailing and blocked cabins.    In addition the $150 OBC was added.  Perhaps it was a coincidence that we chose this sailing and the price was less.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:41 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Have not seen it online.  But if the venue is only open at dinnertime, we would prefer other options.

The best thing about Salty Dog not being open until dinner is that it's easy to get a nice window seat with your International Cafe breakfast/lunch. I spent a few mornings in there on the Discovery drinking espresso while the girlfriend slept in.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

The best thing about Salty Dog not being open until dinner is that it's easy to get a nice window seat with your International Cafe breakfast/lunch. I spent a few mornings in there on the Discovery drinking espresso while the girlfriend slept in.

That would only be on certain ships. Grand class ships have the restaurant as part of the Wheelhouse bar on a different deck

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Check it out.

Not that I am interested in the BB Travel Center, but I do not understand how any agency would be selling a cruise voyage for a higher price than Princess' list price.  Is it possible that the quote you are getting from the BB is with your Princess profile not present, so you are not seeing the best possible fare for your profile?  Whereas, on Princess.com, you are no doubt logged in and then you should be seeing the best price for you.

Edited by Steelers36

3 hours ago, TashaB said:

Good morning.  Always happy for some good advice on booking.   I always start off by checking directly with the cruise line first and then with the Big Box.   In this circumstance (Nov 2, 2024 Enchanted 14 day Caribbean from NYC) the BB was less expensive when I went to the next stage of actually making the booking.   The availability of cabins was certainly much less (Category B balcony) so I would assume they have a group on this sailing and blocked cabins.    In addition the $150 OBC was added.  Perhaps it was a coincidence that we chose this sailing and the price was less.

Maybe you should consider looking around elsewhere as well as the BB can be beaten.  That said, no agency should ever be trying to sell you a voyage at a higher cost than Princess charges.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think what we’ve all seen is all a lot of drama over a few extra bucks.

As a semi-frugal person, I can tell you that it sucks when a company takes something away that they had been giving you, but charges you the same price. So I understand that from a non-package-buying point of view. It's not the amount, it's the principle.

From the package-buying POV, it's also a bit of a shell game to raise the package price and just add in things that it doesn't cost Princess much, if anything, to throw in (and yes, were probably either underutilized, like the fitness classes, or overutilized, like the pizzeria), So I understand that gripe as well, for the same reason.

On the other hand, as a semi-frugal person who likes a drink or two on vacation as well as LOTS of espresso, the Plus package was a great value before and remains one now. Once that stops being the case, people will vote with their feet, but until then...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not that I am interested in the BB Travel Center, but I do not understand how any agency would be selling a cruise voyage for a higher price than Princess' list price.  Is it possible that the quote you are getting from the BB is with your Princess profile not present, so you are not seeing the best possible fare for your profile?  Whereas, on Princess.com, you are no doubt logged in and then you should be seeing the best price for you.

Well, to test your theory and to verify my own observation and experience, I just logged into both Princess and my warehouse club account.  I searched for the January 2024 world cruise as an example. 

On Princess the starting price for an inside per person is $16,399.  On the warehouse, it's $23,399, with my Princess Captains Club number.  

Check it out for yourself.  That's why I always put the pencil to it .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

From the package-buying POV

Well, I bought the package when I originally booked the cruise and still don’t get the new inclusions (which I already paid for), even though I can’t re-fare with price drops etc. - really fair field there!

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We usually book with BB travel center.The price that shows up  on their website is the one with the plus package.

. You will also see a note that you can upgrade to premium for a listed amount. If you call them and tell them you want the standard fare they will quote it and it will match what is on the Princess site. Crazy but that is what we have experienced. 

Edited by hobo1937
Typing error
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, villauk said:

Well, I bought the package when I originally booked the cruise and still don’t get the new inclusions (which I already paid for), even though I can’t re-fare with price drops etc. - really fair field there!

Let me guess: you bought when they were $50/$80? According to Princess, you can pay the difference and get the new inclusions, if you desire. I booked next year's Eclipse/Panama Canal cruise with Plus after they first raised the price in the spring, so (at least theoretically) the new inclusions should be, well, included.

34 minutes ago, hobo1937 said:

We usually book with BB travel center.The price that shows up  on their website is the one with the plus package.

. You will also see a note that you can upgrade to premium for a listed amount. If you call them and tell them you want the standard fare they will quote it and it will match what is on the Princess site. Crazy but that is what we have experienced. 

Interesting.  I travel with the standard and all that I saw with the warehouse club was the higher price and no way to unselect.  That was my example for an expensive cruise.  When I do an actual booking it's all online.  I only call in when I have to because usually it's like talking to someone with a tin can and string telephone.

3 hours ago, hobo1937 said:

Makes sense to a certain extent since it was reported that the agencies receive x% of commission for standard fare, a slightly higher commission for the plus package and an even higher % for the premier package.