Will Celebrity Eclipse Wash My Clothes in Cold Water?

Retirement2016

This might be a stupid question but if they are doing everyone’s laundry together how do they know which items belong to which guest/cabin? I send out a lot of small items like socks and undies so just curious. 

Also, while I’m here on this topic, I’m considering pre purchasing a bag of laundry on the flash sale. How do I go about redeeming this while on board? I’m a little wary about laundry procedures.  My last experience on coincidentally the Equinox over New Years I was told there was no such thing as bag of laundry price anymore and I could send my things out for the a la carte price. This was in Aqua class. Was my steward just mistaken or was it something else Celebrity briefly took away for a bit? 

Edited by tigervixxxen

@tigervixxxen We've had a lot of laundry done on Celebrity ships. I suspect small items like socks and undies are put in a mesh bag or similar. Larger items, including mens  undershirts have a small tag on a seam, usually shoulder, with the cabin #. It's always fun when you wear something you took on your last cruise, but don't wear often, to find that little tag.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

@tigervixxxen We've had a lot of laundry done on Celebrity ships. I suspect small items like socks and undies are put in a mesh bag or similar. Larger items, including mens  undershirts have a small tag on a seam, usually shoulder, with the cabin #. It's always fun when you wear something you took on your last cruise, but don't wear often, to find that little tag.

Oh yes! Those annoying scratchy tags you find six months later that have stiffened and are now irritating. We’re always surprised and yet pleased for the reminder of an excellent journey!

• Like 4

On 8/3/2023 at 12:49 PM, mrgabriel said:

Your option is to wash it yourself in the sink and let it drip dry, or send for dry cleaning. Since it takes forever for things to dry in the damp sea air, I send things to be dry cleaned. 

I love the fact that X doesn't have self-serve laundry because it isn't a vacation for me if I have to do dishes or laundry! 😁

That’s what we do,either wash by hand or dry clean.  We do it as we go in morning or evening and don’t wait for it to accumulate.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 12:36 AM, crazyank said:

You can specify all you want.  Your clothes will be washed in hot water along with a lot of other bags of laundry

Yup. my Socks come back in my Wife's size............

On 8/4/2023 at 2:36 AM, crazyank said:

You can specify all you want.  Your clothes will be washed in hot water along with a lot of other bags of laundry

100% agree. Given the laundry facilities and staff there is no way they could accommodate special instructions. We only send items that can handle that and haven’t had issues except for one pair of faded black socks. And we sail often on long cruises so we use laundry a lot.

It isn't called the Boil 'n Bake for nothing.

Larger items get the neck irritators attached. Smaller items probably go into mesh bags that are labelled.

I sent a suit for dry cleaning once, and when it was returned to the cabin, I just put it in the garment bag for the trip home. When I took it out at home, it was very obvious that it too got into the Boil 'n Bake.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:20 AM, micruiser2002 said:

I find it hard to believe based on the way they wash multiple bags of laundry with all different colors, etc that they even use hot water.  I would assume they use warm or cold for washing.  Otherwise it seems to me there would be a lot more complaints about peoples laundry coming back tinted from other laundry.  I think the bigger issue is the dryer and what is the heat setting for that.

They may be using a product like synthrapol which captures loose dye so it doesn’t bleed onto other garments. It works best at hot temperatures. There’s a similar product referred to as colour catchers (shout among other brands make these) and it’s like a dryer sheet but prevents stray dye from transferring. I am a professional dryer and use synthrapol every single day at work and I use the sheets at home when washing quilts for the first time.

I remember back when I was in cadets on a military base we would put all our laundry in a big mesh bag and then all the mesh bags are thrown into the washer and dryer. No need to sort through each piece of laundry.

I find it amazing that you even get the correct clothes returned to you!!  After all those slips of paper could get separated that you mark your laundry on.  How do they mark the bags that all go into those giant machines?  

1 hour ago, mauimary said:

I find it amazing that you even get the correct clothes returned to you!!  After all those slips of paper could get separated that you mark your laundry on.  How do they mark the bags that all go into those giant machines?  

Barcode system? Tyvek labels? Lots of options.

5 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Barcode system? Tyvek labels? Lots of options.

We took a behind the scenes tour of the Equinox in June and found the laundry to be the most interesting. They pointed out a long line of crew workers who do some type of tagging or markings to keep the laundry for going to the wrong people. After seeing this and how the laundry is handled, I have to laugh at the OP's question about cold water washing. No way any passenger instructions can or will be followed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We took a behind the scenes tour of the Equinox in June and found the laundry to be the most interesting. They pointed out a long line of crew workers who do some type of tagging or markings to keep the laundry for going to the wrong people. After seeing this and how the laundry is handled, I have to laugh at the OP's question about cold water washing. No way any passenger instructions can or will be followed. 

It’s on my list of tours to take. I’ve seen large commercial laundries on land before and it’s pretty incredible. There’s no way cold would even be an option, what if someone has a skin infection etc. I wouldn’t want my clothes to be communally washed on cold even if it were an option.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 1:52 AM, 1Virgo said:

I ve had a tour of laundry. No way would I ever send my clothes to be washed. Commercial/communal washers.  forget how many laundry bags go into one machine. Your clothes won’t be washed on delicate cycle nor how you do at home.  There are some great clothing soaps that require no rinsing or little.  You can get clothes lines to fit shower. 

No need for special soap X's shampoo works just great.

After washing roll items tightly in a towel to get out most of the water after that they will dry fast - Aircon on doors/windows closed.

Shrinkages? The uniforms of all the crew upto and including the Captain are washed by the laundry and I have never seen any of them struggling with shrunken clothes.

Do they follow special instructions? The service offered is "wash and fold" we always write "please return items on hangers, thank you". We make the "please" and "thank you" large and they always do it so clearly they do read the requests.

Lost or damaged? Have experienced both and have always been fully compensated following a polite request at Guest Services. No need to rant and rave as ever you "catch more flies with sugar than with salt".

Back to Back - the time limit on the Elite bags doesn't apply - speak to your Steward and you can put in your wash almost upto the last day.

Use the laundry and enjoy your cruise.