Why the first deposit date question when searching for cruise insurance ?

MtnGolf4

18 minutes ago, hallux said:

Your question may be better asked in the trip insurance section - 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Agree. You will get a much better, lengthier explanation there.

The short answer is: Pre-existing conditions. Most policies require that you get insurance within 14 days of booking the cruise if you want to be able to cover for any pre-existing conditions. By putting the date in, they can show you (or not) policies that do or do not offer that coverage.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

Also some policies will only allow you to add cancel for any reason on the day you book your cruise and make you’re first deposit.  

Not in NY state that does not allow any cancel for any reason policies as they have deemed these not really insurance.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not in NY state that does not allow any cancel for any reason policies as they have deemed these not really insurance.

This is why we consider, and generally purchase, the insurance through NCL's website. NCL will provide a 90% of fare cancel for any reason FCC. It's not insurance. It's allowed in NYS. And, at least allows us to recoup 90% of the fare. We used this back in August and have just used the FCC for the cruise we booked this week.

NYS, always protecting us consumers....ugh! 

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

This is why we consider, and generally purchase, the insurance through NCL's website. NCL will provide a 90% of fare cancel for any reason FCC. It's not insurance. It's allowed in NYS. And, at least allows us to recoup 90% of the fare. We used this back in August and have just used the FCC for the cruise we booked this week.

NYS, always protecting us consumers....ugh! 

I could be wrong, but I don't think NY state allows them to sell that insurance to New York residents. The State Insurance Commissioner has basically ruled that insurance must cover a risk, and I just feel like cancelling is not really a risk.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think NY state allows them to sell that insurance to New York residents. The State Insurance Commissioner has basically ruled that insurance must cover a risk, and I just feel like cancelling is not really a risk.

Oh, you're correct! 

But, NCL offers a non-insurance FCC if you purchase the AON insurance through NCL's booking site. As  NYS resident, if I purchase AON insurance through NCL and cancel for any reason, AON will deny my claim. I then let NCL know AON has denied my claim. NCL will then provide a 75% or 90% (depending on coverage originally selected) FCC to me. 

Back in August of last year, we canceled our cruise two or three weeks ahead of the cruise. Found a much better deal! AON finally denied the claim in January. It's supposed to be 30 days, but it's me, so they wanted to take longer. 🙂 Anyway, in February, NCL gave us the 90% FCC based on our original cruise fare. 

So, technically the insurance company is giving us nothing. NCL is providing us a credit. Don't ask me the legalities: I sat for the LSAT, interned for a lawyer, then realized I wanted nothing to do with the law. Now I work in HR. Joke's on me! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh, you're correct! 

But, NCL offers a non-insurance FCC if you purchase the AON insurance through NCL's booking site. As  NYS resident, if I purchase AON insurance through NCL and cancel for any reason, AON will deny my claim. I then let NCL know AON has denied my claim. NCL will then provide a 75% or 90% (depending on coverage originally selected) FCC to me. 

Back in August of last year, we canceled our cruise two or three weeks ahead of the cruise. Found a much better deal! AON finally denied the claim in January. It's supposed to be 30 days, but it's me, so they wanted to take longer. 🙂 Anyway, in February, NCL gave us the 90% FCC based on our original cruise fare. 

So, technically the insurance company is giving us nothing. NCL is providing us a credit. Don't ask me the legalities: I sat for the LSAT, interned for a lawyer, then realized I wanted nothing to do with the law. Now I work in HR. Joke's on me! 

I love when other posters say I am correct. 😊

Glad it worked out for you despite it having to be by a roundabout way.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I love when other posters say I am correct. 😊

Glad it worked out for you despite it having to be by a roundabout way.

Hahaha, I know. It's strange to see those words here. Hah.....also, safe travels to you!!! I hope everything goes smoothly and you're reporting from onboard in just a couple days. 

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hahaha, I know. It's strange to see those words here. 

You're correct...(just making you feel good.) 😀

It is indeed rare to see anyone use the words "you're correct" on CC. Usually, all I see are words like, "You're crazy"...or..."You don't know what you're talking about".

Oh wait, those are typical responses to me.

As they say on CC..."YMMV".

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 2

The insurance requires the deposit date (which is the date you paid the deposit on the cruise you booked) ….

I have a good example …. In 2019 we sadly had to cancel an Ultimate Baltics cruise one week before we were due to fly out. I developed a medical condition that was so severe and painful that I couldn’t walk or sleep. 

I was sent forms by AON insurance to complete…. One of the forms was for my doctor to complete and one of the questions asked if it was a pre-existing condition …. 

This is where the deposit date came into effect … I’d had that medical condition a few months beforehand but it was of a minor scale and my doctor prescribed some medication for it. The deposit date was 18 months prior so I was able to claim full cruise price from insurance as it was not pre-existing condition at the time we booked the cruise and paid the deposit. My doctor had to see our cruise confirmation that showed the date the deposit was paid so that he could complete the form accurately. 

• Like 2