Embarkation day - what to do with carryon before staterooms are available

ThunderSC44

10 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

If I recall, pre-pandemic, they actually closed off the hallways to guests on embark day until those rooms were ready.  

Is my memory serving me right ?

Yep, for years they have had the main doors closed off with signs saying to please not enter until rooms are ready after 1:30ish.

They also almost ALWAYS tell you this when you are checking in too.

Edited by wemjam

41 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

If I recall, pre-pandemic, they actually closed off the hallways to guests on embark day until those rooms were ready.  

Is my memory serving me right ?

It was our experience on Venezia, this past June 19 sailing. We arrived on board around 1 pm, went to shore excursion desk to sign up for Behind the Fun tour, then headed to deck 8 for our cabin because I was Platinum and hoped to drop off our carryons. The door to the corridor from the elevator/staircase was closed off. It was so close to 1:30 that we just waited.

My general advice for air and cruise travel is to use a backpack as carryon, because it leaves your hands free.

• Like 1

I am somewhat in doubt of the need for a carry on aboard a ship. On an airplane, this is for the few things that I might need on the flight, which for the most part is reading material and maybe a few snacks. As technology had made reading and other entertainment into smaller devices and the ship is full of snacks, I am not sure unless I was coming right from the airport that I would need to have a separate carry on when boarding a ship. If I do have one, it will be small and likely a backpack.

On a recent hotel trip I noticed a lot of people gathering in the lobby with a week's worth of luggage, some keeping hold of the wheeled carts that are in limited supply. Most sating areas had available seats that were blocked by piles of luggage. I can only imagine what it would have been like if others had wanted to sit down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

I am somewhat in doubt of the need for a carry on aboard a ship. ... 

If I do have one, it will be small and likely a backpack.

A seasoned traveler!

You do need ONE per family as you board. That's where the SUPER IMPORTANT stuff like Passports go. Easy peasy.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, jsglow said:

You do need ONE per family as you board. That's where the SUPER IMPORTANT stuff like Passports go. Easy peasy.

If I suggested to DW that I carry my passport myself and, in a carryon, she would just use that laser beam vision to let me know that she holds those documents, and they go in her purse. But thanks for the encouragement!

• Haha 5

This is all new to us. Only waited once in 20+ cruises on NCL, the doors were closed and we waited near by because it was close to the time we could enter. We will check the large suitcase with all our clothes but we will both have a carry on with the recommended fan, soda, wine (special type for sail away) and our machines, which we never put in checked bags.

So reading this I see it is suggested we find a seat and of course if it is at a food venue we wouldn't wait there after we are done. However we can sit in other areas (hopefully in the shade) for what could be a long wait. Our check out time in 11:00AM and the walk is 5-10 minutes from port. Will take check in between 11:30-12:30 if available, though if we find something to do will leave luggage at hotel and look at later times.

If I am reading this post correctly this should work.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gluttonfp said:

Is there anyplace we can change clothes if we want to use the pool before we have access to our cabin? I'll be on HAL Noordam.

there is always a bathroom by the pool area or by the buffet area on ever ship ive been on.  . try posting on the HAL forums instead

1 hour ago, AFS1970 said:

If I suggested to DW that I carry my passport myself and, in a carryon, she would just use that laser beam vision to let me know that she holds those documents, and they go in her purse. But thanks for the encouragement!

HA! I'm in charge of Passports for our family so I'm the laser beam guy.  We're doing a cruise with our adult 30 something kids in the Fall and I can't believe I had to go 'parental' on my DD do get her darn one renewed after some extended procrastination. 'Um honey, this stuff has been taking many months. Get on it.' 🫤

(She got her new one back this past week. 👍)

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gluttonfp said:

Is there anyplace we can change clothes if we want to use the pool before we have access to our cabin? I'll be on HAL Noordam.

As Shof515 suggested, posting HAL questions on the HAL forum will get you better results🤔 but I will say you won't have to wait to drop your luggage - even if your cabin isn't ready, you can drop your bags in it. Then just go to any restroom to change your clothes (yes - every pool has restrooms nearby).  Please don't change clothes in your cabin🫣 when you drop your bags unless it has already been cleaned as steward needs access and no need to take towels from your cabin to the pool - there are towels at every pool.🏊‍♀️🤽‍♂️

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!🚢

On 8/4/2023 at 2:46 PM, ThunderSC44 said:

Thanks all.  I agree we can manage moving around with the bags,andi wouldn't want to get in the way of the staff as they work hard to prepare for our cruise.

You won’t be alone in rolling your bags about with you. 😎. Generally, we find somewhere pleasant to sit and look at the views and skyline of wherever we are sailing from and just keep our bags close to us. The time always seems to go very quickly. 

Have a fantastic time on your first cruise. Be prepared to get addicted to cruising!

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

HA! I'm in charge of Passports for our family so I'm the laser beam guy.  We're doing a cruise with our adult 30 something kids in the Fall and I can't believe I had to go 'parental' on my DD do get her darn one renewed after some extended procrastination. 'Um honey, this stuff has been taking many months. Get on it.' 🫤

(She got her new one back this past week. 👍)

I sailed with my daughter age 25 while Covid testing etc had to be done before cruising. The night before, at the hotel in Miami, I had to walk her through the process of testing with the Binax deal AND Verifly because she hadn’t done it yet! Then when we got to the port and they asked for her documents, she had packed her birth certificate in her CHECKED luggage! Oh my word. She had received many reminders about all of this.

4 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

This is all new to us. Only waited once in 20+ cruises on NCL, the doors were closed and we waited near by because it was close to the time we could enter. We will check the large suitcase with all our clothes but we will both have a carry on with the recommended fan, soda, wine (special type for sail away) and our machines, which we never put in checked bags.

So reading this I see it is suggested we find a seat and of course if it is at a food venue we wouldn't wait there after we are done. However we can sit in other areas (hopefully in the shade) for what could be a long wait. Our check out time in 11:00AM and the walk is 5-10 minutes from port. Will take check in between 11:30-12:30 if available, though if we find something to do will leave luggage at hotel and look at later times.

Correction for you, your check in time will be a 1/2 hour window (not an hour), so I would try for the 11:00-11:30 window, you can always arrive later if you must but not before.

Then from there you are correct, you can go and eat, and then find some place quiet to sit.  There are plenty of places you can sit inside in the A/C if you wish.  Look for areas along the Promenade, bars, Library, etc. little cubbies here and there all along the ship where seating is available.  

• Like 1

We have become the folks who carry on all our luggage. For a seven day, we take two airplane type carry-on's and one larger suitcase.  We find our way to the lido deck and stay put until it is time to go to our room.  We have found that we like to have our belongings with us and when cabins open, we proceed to our cabin, unpack and start our vacation.  I have read so many stories here on Cruise Critic of folks not getting a piece of their luggage delivered.  This is what lead to my "carry on" only policy.  We are the ones that find a spot outside on the Lido deck, grab a drink, one of us gets a plate of food that we share, enjoy the music and watching the other guests that are as excited about the cruise as we are!  So much fun!

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 5:14 PM, slavigne5577 said:

I pick an arrival time for 12:30-1:00 or 1:00-1:30. By the time we board its either nearly time or past time to enter rooms. We walk onto ship with very little line at all. But then that's in Nola were sail way is 3 or 3:30.

Exactly what we do.  Plus the buffet starts to empty at that time as everyone is rushing to their rooms.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:01 AM, AFS1970 said:

I am somewhat in doubt of the need for a carry on aboard a ship. On an airplane, this is for the few things that I might need on the flight, which for the most part is reading material and maybe a few snacks. As technology had made reading and other entertainment into smaller devices and the ship is full of snacks, I am not sure unless I was coming right from the airport that I would need to have a separate carry on when boarding a ship. If I do have one, it will be small and likely a backpack.

On a recent hotel trip I noticed a lot of people gathering in the lobby with a week's worth of luggage, some keeping hold of the wheeled carts that are in limited supply. Most sating areas had available seats that were blocked by piles of luggage. I can only imagine what it would have been like if others had wanted to sit down.

Good for you.  I'm assuming that you don't have any travel documents, medications, medical devices, a need to access sun screen, etc.

On 8/6/2023 at 10:37 AM, latebloomer56 said:

You could also see if your hotel offers a late check-out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lasvegascruising said:

We have become the folks who carry on all our luggage. For a seven day, we take two airplane type carry-on's and one larger suitcase.  We find our way to the lido deck and stay put until it is time to go to our room.  We have found that we like to have our belongings with us and when cabins open, we proceed to our cabin, unpack and start our vacation.  I have read so many stories here on Cruise Critic of folks not getting a piece of their luggage delivered.  This is what lead to my "carry on" only policy.  We are the ones that find a spot outside on the Lido deck, grab a drink, one of us gets a plate of food that we share, enjoy the music and watching the other guests that are as excited about the cruise as we are!  So much fun!

We got you beat.... for 7 days we can do two legit size (22x14x9) airplane carry on's and two small shoulder bags.  NO big suitcases needed 😁

That's a clean outfit for everyday, dress clothes and shoes as needed, swimming clothes and cover ups, sandals, hats, all our extras like curling irons, blow dryers, books, toiletry bag, liquids bag, my really cool small fan I found, and other miscellaneous - even can squeeze our own prescription snorkel masks and snorkels in when we know we will be doing that.

When people ask us about tips for cruising, we always tell them.  Lay out everything you think you will need.... then get rid of 1/2 of it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wemjam said:

We got you beat.... for 7 days we can do two legit size (22x14x9) airplane carry on's and two small shoulder bags.  NO big suitcases needed 😁

When people ask us about tips for cruising, we always tell them.  Lay out everything you think you will need.... then get rid of 1/2 of it.

When is your next class? Sign me up!!

I already remove half, then remove half again, then add wine...

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

When is your next class? Sign me up!!

I already remove half, then remove half again, then add wine...

🤣  I always say I pack like Garanimals... if you are old enough to remember that one.  That way everything just goes with everything else.  One pair of sandals with everything, and a cute pair of small beachy pumps for my sundresses.

I don't know what they call the fabric, rayon I think, but the best thing that every happened with that stretchy fabric that doesn't wrinkle and like folds down to nothing.  Most of my sundresses are this!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:01 AM, AFS1970 said:

I am somewhat in doubt of the need for a carry on aboard a ship.

14 hours ago, lasvegascruising said:

We have become the folks who carry on all our luggage.

And there you have it.  Exactly opposite opinions.

Carry-on of valuable items (cameras/GoPros, jewelry, travel docs, whatever) can vary significantly, depending on the traveler(s), along with medications, stuff for the kids (assuming you brought them and didn't leave them at the hotel...oh crap!)  We used to being DSLR cameras, but we've found the latest mobile phones have "almost as good" camera capabilities for typical cruising pics and are far more portable, obviously.  If we want to go birding on a vacation we take the big lenses, but that's not why we cruise.

We also bring a change of clothes in case the checked luggage goes astray.  So we usually have one backpack, maybe two, plus a purse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carry-on of valuable items (cameras/GoPros, jewelry, travel docs, whatever) can vary significantly, depending on the traveler(s), along with medications, stuff for the kids (assuming you brought them and didn't leave them at the hotel...oh crap!)

Do you mean leave the stuff at the hotel... or the kids?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, wemjam said:

🤣  I always say I pack like Garanimals... if you are old enough to remember that one.  That way everything just goes with everything else.  One pair of sandals with everything, and a cute pair of small beachy pumps for my sundresses...

Not only am I old enough to remember Garanimals, I remember life before Garanimals, lol!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

That's a clean outfit for everyday, dress clothes and shoes as needed, swimming clothes and cover ups, sandals, hats, all our extras like curling irons, blow dryers, books, toiletry bag, liquids bag, my really cool small fan I found, and other miscellaneous - even can squeeze our own prescription snorkel masks and snorkels in when we know we will be doing that.

Definitely the way to do it.  DH and I are doing a B2B on Pride soon and a couple of days in London before that.  We will be gone 26 days and are only bringing 2 carry-ons and 2 backpacks.  It's life-changing.

• Like 2