Explora cruises from the eyes of clients

travelberlin

On 8/31/2023 at 6:24 PM, Critically Cruising said:

So what you have is a cooked-to-order BUFFET.

The adjective may be different but the noun is still the same.

We like the idea that one cannot self serve anything from the buffet. We have never been able to avail ourselves of any buffet (land or sea) because of the terrible habits of others. We were told on social media forums that Holland America lines served guests at their buffet. Then we booked and walked through and found it was like all others, self-service. Will not sail with Hal again. DW caught covid and norovirus , at the same time, on day 6 of a 7 day cruise on this ship with a 97 CDC rating.

With the problem of guests only being able to book 2 reservations and the other 2 restaurants being crowded during Christmas/New Years it would leave only the buffet and room service. Room service for us is reminiscent of being confined to quarters during the pandemic for all our meals. Looking forward to your opportune review.  Booking Explora from past experience of Yacht Clubs. We are not gastronomes by any means.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We like the idea that one cannot self serve anything from the buffet. We have never been able to avail ourselves of any buffet (land or sea) because of the terrible habits of others. We were told on social media forums that Holland America lines served guests at their buffet. Then we booked and walked through and found it was like all others, self-service. Will not sail with Hal again. DW caught covid and norovirus , at the same time, on day 6 of a 7 day cruise on this ship with a 97 CDC rating.

With the problem of guests only being able to book 2 reservations and the other 2 restaurants being crowded during Christmas/New Years it would leave only the buffet and room service. Room service for us is reminiscent of being confined to quarters during the pandemic for all our meals. Looking forward to your opportune review.  Booking Explora from past experience of Yacht Clubs. We are not gastronomes by any means.

On for a little over a day now. We love the Emporium Marketplace.  It is NOT a self-serve buffet.  It IS a self-order buffet.  How many times have you ordered through a waiter an omelet and not gotten exactly what you wanted. You wanted certain veggies and cheese and cooked well done. Sometimes it takes 3 breakfasts to get it right. Perfect this morning. No middle man included to mis-communicate. If a host sees you with a plate they immediately assist you back to the table. At lunch, wines were pre-corked around the room, easy-peezy service. Sushi bar is prepared right in front of you.

We are eating Fil Rouge this evening.  Report tomorrow.

Only complaint so far, and not really a complaint is checkin on the ship was a little haphazard. I think Explora thought ‘no lines’ was improvement. Quite the opposite for us, as we do like at least a modicum of a queue. Safety drill was totally painless.

Bartenders at Lobby Bar are outstanding mixologists.  They really know their stuff. Several trained by the liquor company reps on speciality cocktails. Today I had a superb Jameson-based ginger cocktail.

a comment tomorrow on EJ entertainment strategy

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

On for a little over a day now. We love the Emporium Marketplace.  It is NOT a self-serve buffet.  It IS a self-order buffet.  How many times have you ordered through a waiter an omelet and not gotten exactly what you wanted. You wanted certain veggies and cheese and cooked well done. Sometimes it takes 3 breakfasts to get it right. Perfect this morning. No middle man included to mis-communicate. If a host sees you with a plate they immediately assist you back to the table. At lunch, wines were pre-corked around the room, easy-peezy service. Sushi bar is prepared right in front of you.

Only complaint so far, and not really a complaint is checkin on the ship was a little haphazard. I think Explora thought ‘no lines’ was improvement. Quite the opposite for us, as we do like at least a modicum of a queue. Safety drill was totally painless.

Bartenders at Lobby Bar are outstanding mixologists.  They really know their stuff. Several trained by the liquor company reps on speciality cocktails. Today I had a superb Jameson-based ginger cocktail.

FANTASTIC Thanks 

19 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

If a host sees you with a plate they immediately assist you back to the table.

Maybe on your side of the room.  Many were busy chatting with each other near us.

At lunch, wines were pre-corked around the room, easy-peezy service.

For the first glass.  Refills never arrived

Safety drill was totally painless.

Of course, the drill was never mentioned in either the daily program (which has no name) or the Explora app.  And any announcement wasn't piped into the suite, just the 7 short and 1 long whistle. Perfect for those taking a nap before dinner.  And at the muster, no roll call or attendance, so I guess I could have just skipped it with no problem.  Especially since all that was done was a casual, haphazard display of one person trying to put on a life jacket, with comedic effect.

Bartenders at Lobby Bar are outstanding mixologists.  They really know their stuff.

Three bars, including the lobby, didn't know how to make a Sidecar.  A classic cocktail with only 3 ingredients.   Maybe they know the corporate specialty drinks, but can't even google a classic.

Are we on the same ship?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kelleherdl said:

This is wonderful to hear

36 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

Maybe on your side of the room.  Many were busy chatting with each other near us.

Of course, the drill was never mentioned in either the daily program (which has no name) or the Explora app.  And any announcement wasn't piped into the suite, just the 7 short and 1 long whistle. Perfect for those taking a nap before dinner.  And at the muster, no roll call or attendance, so I guess I could have just skipped it with no problem.  Especially since all that was done was a casual, haphazard display of one person trying to put on a life jacket, with comedic effect.

Three bars, including the lobby, didn't know how to make a Sidecar.  A classic cocktail with only 3 ingredients.   Maybe they know the corporate specialty drinks, but can't even google a classic.

Are we on the same ship?

Where's your muster Station?

37 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

Are we on the same ship?

Oh no, sidecar is hubby fav drink

4 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

On for a little over a day now. We love the Emporium Marketplace.  It is NOT a self-serve buffet.  It IS a self-order buffet.  How many times have you ordered through a waiter an omelet and not gotten exactly what you wanted. You wanted certain veggies and cheese and cooked well done. Sometimes it takes 3 breakfasts to get it right. Perfect this morning. No middle man included to mis-communicate. If a host sees you with a plate they immediately assist you back to the table. At lunch, wines were pre-corked around the room, easy-peezy service. Sushi bar is prepared right in front of you. - Wonderful. Unless the dinner Marketplace would be "downgraded", I'm sure all my meals onboard E1 would come from that place, so enticing it is from the videos and photos offered elsewhere to date...

We are eating Fil Rouge this evening.  Report tomorrow. - Curious to read about!

Only complaint so far, and not really a complaint is checkin on the ship was a little haphazard. I think Explora thought ‘no lines’ was improvement. Quite the opposite for us, as we do like at least a modicum of a queue. Safety drill was totally painless. - Can't really to understand this. Seems that for some reason; mainly difficulties with port's authorities conditions or elsewhere, they decided to process your check-in inside the ship? It's rare, but sometimes it happens even on Mainstream MSC. If you enter on a secondary port with few check-ins for the segment or the port is not ready to do the whole thing outside, or you're part of a specialty charter group, they'll give you a number at luggage drop off, then they'll direct you inside the ship, then guest services will call you to make check-in. Was it the procedure. No worries if that was the case. No lines is in fact a solid improvement.

Bartenders at Lobby Bar are outstanding mixologists.  They really know their stuff. Several trained by the liquor company reps on speciality cocktails. Today I had a superb Jameson-based ginger cocktail. - Of course!...

a comment tomorrow on EJ entertainment strategy - Interested on reading as well!...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Critically Cruising said:

Maybe on your side of the room.  Many were busy chatting with each other near us.   our table probably finished two bottles,  chain balance and a Syrah. Yes they were talking to each other. The conversation were about which tables needed service  

as above our glasses were recharged even before emptying 

the Iceland Immigration agents were on board right thru the drill, with DEFINITE announcements over PA system including suite speakers, alarms, and card scans for all guests as we arrived at our muster station

Three bars, including the lobby, didn't know how to make a Sidecar.  A  classic cocktail with only 3 ingredients.   Maybe they know the corporate specialty drinks, but can't even google a classic.

we had no problem ordering our preferred cocktail

Are we on the same ship?

well I believe are, but from your post maybe not.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Is there any other evening entertainment or is your alternative just the bar (can’t stand swing 😆)

The swing music experience (because everything is labeled an experience onboard) is in theater that's not considered a theater.  There are other musical acts in other venues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 8:10 AM, uktog said:

100% agree- I also find it annoying that those people who were cancelled were sorted out immediately and people like us, “real cruisers” have never been contacted or sorted out. 
Id love the view of people who aren’t agents or influencers and paid for their cruises and who focus on real “value”. 

I was on Explora for the first 3 weeks of Jan. Beautiful ship. SwRmi g with Travel Agents whom I believe got a “ sell a cruise get one fir yourself” incentive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elizabethbea said:

SwRmi g with Travel Agents whom I believe got a “ sell a cruise get one fir yourself” incentive

Our cruise in mid-December had about 400 passengers, ~200 of which apparently were travel agents or influencers.  Seems for their financial health (this has been going on for months) Explora will have to end up with a more normal ratio of full-paying passengers to "discounted/comp'd" passengers.

3 minutes ago, PutnamNY said:

We booked our cruise via the Explora website. We don't know where and how to even find Travel Agents.

I believe you can get a lot of value from using an experienced TA - both in terms of advice and management if your booking as well as financially. All of that should not cost you one cent extra and using them should be a financial benefit to you 

I can’t think of a con

Not sure when you booked but if it was recently I suggest you consider contacting a TA who can get the booking transferred to them and then offer you all the benefits that come from using a good TA 

Note Cruise Critic rules prevent anyone posting the details of a TA here for you

7 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I believe you can get a lot of value from using an experienced TA - both in terms of advice and management if your booking as well as financially. All of that should not cost you one cent extra and using them should be a financial benefit to you 

I can’t think of a con

Not sure when you booked but if it was recently I suggest you consider contacting a TA who can get the booking transferred to them and then offer you all the benefits that come from using a good TA 

Note Cruise Critic rules prevent anyone posting the details of a TA here for you

Excellent wise and experienced advice

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PutnamNY said:

Should I try one of those YouTube video agents? There were a few who have posted detailed videos.

Only if you’re looking for a videographer for a wedding 😂😂😂😉

Ok more seriously - I’d suggest rather than the video abilities being your criteria talk to someone you trust and see who they use - get advice from friends or experienced cruisers - then contact the agents and interview them - you’ll soon get a feel for their style and approach and that’s important that it fits with your style and requirements 

• Like 2

I agree that travel arranged with a trusted TA is absolutely the way to go.  They are there not only to book your cruise, but to navigate any travel-related issues you may experience.  I am getting ready to go on my 40th cruise and have always used a travel agent!

• Like 1