A coughing fest on Riviera. PSA: PLEASE cover your mouth and nose

cruisr

Of course this can be a PSA for any ship or any cruiseline and since we disembarked the Riviera today I have been inspired to write this.

My DH and I have been on a lot of cruises since mid 2021.  I like to think of myself as a considerate person.  I just experienced a cough fest cruise.  Started out ok on July 21 but as the cruise progressed, so did the coughing.  Hardly anyone wore masks, even though the sneezing and coughing increased.  It could be colds, flu, covid, I don’t know.  The thing I do know it is common courtesy to cover one’s mouth and nose when sneezing and coughing, especially in a lift.  A balled fist, lamely placed in the region of the mouth/nose is not covering.  On the close quarters of tour motorcoaches, please cover your mouth and nose.  My Mum always told me this starting as a child.  Its not hard to do.

For whatever reason we found the group of passengers on this cruise especially rude and inconsiderate of their fellow passengers.  incidents of being pushed and shoved as people jostled to get the attention of a buffet server.  Credit where due, the servers would usually, say, “This person was before you”.  People apparently have forgotten the words, please, thank you and pardon me.  Overhearing a table next to us in Red Ginger, a man said to his lovely server, “ Get me another beer”.  No please, just a demand.  The wait staff are not servants and one should ask for something with a please and a thank you.

In any case, again this can happen anywhere but it just seemed the % of inconsiderate and downright rude and entitled people were pretty high on this cruise.

I do hope nobody contracted Covid, a cold or the flu due to the cough fest cruise.  Actually saw more masks during disembarkation today then ever before.

At least that is something as the coughing in the transfer to OSL was non stop.  My DH and I just kept shaking our heads.

Healthy and safe cruising to all.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

Aloha. The amount of rudeness in our society is so prevalent and shameful throughout the world and permeates all of society.  Dividing time between NY and Hawaii I find manners lacking everywhere.  At Starbucks recently I held the door open for a woman who yelled at me and said she could open her own door.  Shameful 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. The amount of rudeness in our society is so prevalent and shameful throughout the world and permeates all of society.  Dividing time between NY and Hawaii I find manners lacking everywhere.  At Starbucks recently I held the door open for a woman who yelled at me and said she could open her own door.  Shameful 

some days you just cannot win 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

Of course this can be a PSA for any ship or any cruiseline and since we disembarked the Riviera today I have been inspired to write this.

There is an excellent long post on another thread by @maxamizethat mentions some of the same issues about fellow passengers, that time on a Vista cruise. Doesn't mention coughing, but lots of other issues about some others on the cruise. It's really a bit depressing to hear such about those who are on a "luxury" cruise. 

The other thread: "Vista Review - Roman Rivièra’s July 25th – August 4th."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Doesn't mention coughing, but lots of other issues about some others on the cruise. It's really a bit depressing to hear such about those who are on a "luxury" cruise. 

The other thread: "Vista Review - Roman Rivièra’s July 25th – August 4th."

Sad to say  but just because you have money for an upscale cruise does not mean they have good manners

One cruise  we saw a man  in the Terrace  at lunch at a larger table  all alone  he finished his soup  then was snapping his fingers for the wait staff  to remove the dish  ..all the while never looking up from his book he was reading 🙄

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

cover a cough

cover a sneeze

never ever forget it

please.

Learned when I was four years old, how hard is this?

With some adults acting like 2 year olds this is difficult...  🙂 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We were also on this cruise and the previous leg. The cruise from Reykjavik to Oslo was different from any other of our many Oceania cruises in terms of passengers. Some left their manners behind, for many the dress code was not country club casual and bus tours were a cough fest with few sick passengers wearing a mask to stop the spread of germs. I commented to management that a note could be put in Currents advising the wearing of masks on bus tours if you have a cough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunnies said:

We were also on this cruise and the previous leg. The cruise from Reykjavik to Oslo was different from any other of our many Oceania cruises in terms of passengers. Some left their manners behind, for many the dress code was not country club casual and bus tours were a cough fest with few sick passengers wearing a mask to stop the spread of germs. I commented to management that a note could be put in Currents advising the wearing of masks on bus tours if you have a cough. 

Maybe a quarter (25%) of the passengers even read their Currents. Most ignore, and are totally oblivious to any and all CD or senior staff announcements. If you want to protect yourself, YOU must take the necessary precautions and not count on your fellow passengers in any regard. A sad state of affairs, but the way it is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Three of our four family members contracted COVID at the end of our recent Marina cruise - many people were coughing and, of course in retrospect, we should have masked. We thought we were safe, as we ate by ourselves and, for the most part, did not go on organized tours. But one of us was on a bus tour where a passenger coughed constantly. Thank goodness for six vaccinations (in my case) - mild cases all around with lingering cough, etc. We'll know better next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

After you cough or sneeze  into your hands  GO WASH your hands  or at least gel up

A total waste of breath. You are not going to teach manners, etiquette, or medical safety measures to Oceania aged population. They either practice them or they don’t.

Case in point; even with constant urging from the staff on scene, look at the people that refuse to use the provided hand sanitizer then grab and use the railings on the gangway. Something so simple, and they won’t do it.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BWV said:

Three of our four family members contracted COVID at the end of our recent Marina cruise - many people were coughing and, of course in retrospect, we should have masked. We thought we were safe, as we ate by ourselves and, for the most part, did not go on organized tours. But one of us was on a bus tour where a passenger coughed constantly. Thank goodness for six vaccinations (in my case) - mild cases all around with lingering cough, etc. We'll know better next time.

We sail in November and I am bringing masks for bus rides. We are away for a month and I do not want to risk getting sick. I wash my hands a lot, and after the last three yrs and good about not touching my face. But there are things you cannot control, like coughing on a bus by unmasked ppl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about washing one's hands after going to the restroom, as a deterrent to spreading noro or other stomach-related viruses to your fellow pax?  This is particularly true of "real men," who don't even think about carrying out this simple task.  Washing hands is not just for keeping respiratory ailments at bay.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sunnies said:

Yes, the dress code was totally ignored to the point that a man in Polo Grill had on a baseball cap all through dinner.  Tee shirts in Jacques.  I expect casual at the buffet but was really surprised to see beyond casual in the “fine dining venues”.  

People seem to have lost all sense of societal norms and really don’t care about anyone but themselves.  Others dining attire is not going to make me sick (though I may cringe inwardly) but coughing on me and spreading germs certainly may.

I feel bad for locals in the more remote ports that we went to.  I hope none of the motorcoach drivers or guides caught anything from the coughing Riviera guests. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A total waste of breath. You are not going to teach manners, etiquette, or medical safety measures to Oceania aged population. They either practice them or they don’t.

Case in point; even with constant urging from the staff on scene, look at the people that refuse to use the provided hand sanitizer then grab and use the railings on the gangway. Something so simple, and they won’t do it.

A couple of months ago I was cruising with Saga (British cruise line). At every venue -- dining or entertainment -- you were greeted by a crew member wielding a bottle of hand sanitizer. At the main dining room there were sinks nearby for people who preferred soap and water, but there was no entry without at least a modicum of sanitizing.

• Like 4

On 8/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, LHT28 said:

After you cough or sneeze  into your hands  GO WASH your hands  or at least gel up

Use the inside of your elbow if you cannot sneeze or cough into a tissue. Throw tissues away and wash hands. CDC

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mamaclark said:

Use the inside of your elbow if you cannot sneeze or cough into a tissue.

I have seen people try that  & just cough under their  arm  anyway  so the germs are still in the air waiting for someone 🤑

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I have seen people try that  & just cough under their  arm  anyway  so the germs are still in the air waiting for someone 🤑

Works for me and the CDC. I think the point is never to cough or sneeze into your hands. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ugh, we were on that leg and stayed on for the next leg. We are currently quarantined in our cabin because now we have covid. Fully vaxxed and avoided covid until now. That first leg we couldn't believe how much coughing, rudeness and poorly dressed passengers there were. We kept referring to it as the Wild West. Very upset that O isn't doing more to keep passengers healthy. Spent $50k on this cruise and now stuck in our cabin for 5 days. At least the Medical Center squeezed $5k out of us. 

• Like 1

I rarely, if ever ride a bus, period.  It is bad enough being, on a cruise ship, but busses are the worst.  You wait for entitled people, breathe unhealthy air and cannot move to a better area.  Just thinking about being on one for several hours makes me quiver.  I will gladly pay more for a private tour for just the two of us, or a small group of 6-8.  I work in a high school and rarely get sick; never did all through Covid, even when the kids were dropping like flies.  I wish the answer was clear, but some people do not care about anyone except the person they see in the mirror, period.  Manners and common sense are all too uncommon, so defend yourself appropriately!  You have every right to stay well.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Momnipotent said:

Ugh, we were on that leg and stayed on for the next leg. We are currently quarantined in our cabin because now we have covid. Fully vaxxed and avoided covid until now. That first leg we couldn't believe how much coughing, rudeness and poorly dressed passengers there were. We kept referring to it as the Wild West. Very upset that O isn't doing more to keep passengers healthy. Spent $50k on this cruise and now stuck in our cabin for 5 days. At least the Medical Center squeezed $5k out of us. 

Can you explain what the 5k charge was for?  I read somewhere else that another passenger was charged that also.  Why and for what?