Not a newbie sails Odyssey August 11, 2023. Alaska: Glaciers, Fjords & Inside Passage

jondfk

52 minutes ago, Dunnedg said:

I started reading this thread last week and was looking forward to hearing abiut the trip. Despite Two separate threads recently discussing whether the MDR is open for breakfast and lunch 😴, this thread is following the same pattern. 
What amazes me most is that the people who want silver service for every seem to be the same people who don’t appropriately when required.

Anyway, I will be taking a back seat from Cruise ‘criticisms’ for now as it is too depressing.

I will be looking forward instead to a positive cruise in November eating as the mood takes me.

I suppose that’s directed at me though I don’t know what if is that I don’t do appropriately?  I promised in opening to report our genuine experiences and I think I’ve done so.  The boarding was a breeze and was reported as such.  I expressed surprise and joy at our unexpected upgrade (I didn’t even ding SB for delivering our luggage to the wrong room) and haven’t even once heard the “supply chain” excuse that was so common on Ovation.  Last evenings meal met all expectations and was reported as such.  

On the other hand, yes we’ve experienced unacceptable service lapses, all acknowledged by the management.  I’m truly sorry if my honest feedback has disappointed you.  I haven’t bothered to mention cancelled and severely rescheduled excursions because we accept that such things happen, they have however limited our exposure beyond the ship, thus far.  Perhaps earning me fair criticism for not reporting more fulsomely on the cruise overall.

We tend to avoid mass gatherings and I therefore don’t comment on things like the captain’s welcome party which we choose not to attend.  We did have a pleasant one on one chat with captain Tim which was throughly enjoyable.

Based on your feedback I’ll limit further posts to the answering of specific questions and report only positives.  Enjoy cruise critic and I sincerely hope your November cruise meets your every expectation.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Based on your feedback I’ll limit further posts to the answering of specific questions and report only positives.  Enjoy cruise critic and I sincerely hope your November cruise meets your every expectation.

jondkf,  please don't limit your further posts due to the complaint of one poster here.  Your posts are welcomed here.  There is always going to be someone who disagrees with what you say.  Just ignore them.  

• Like 9

On 8/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, CalmSea said:

Don't forget that there is an additional YVR surcharge of $5.00 in the direction from the airport to downtown.

Last June, when we disembark at Canada Place, the place was a chaos, with two other ships disembarking at the same time. We did took the 5 minutes walk to Waterfront station and took the Canada line to the airport, and with no surcharge in going this direction. However, one has to know how to get the correct entrance. The closest entrance to Waterfront station from the cruise terminal takes you to the wrong line.

Follow up on the light rail costs:

As CalmSea pointed out, costs vary depending on direction.  I was charged $8.51 (US) from Templeton to the Waterfront, and $4.64 back to Templeton.  That said, it was clean, well maintained, quick and comfortable.  If you have lots of luggage, it might be a bit challenging.

We had an excellent cruise, even better than last year.  I felt like the staff were all on top of their game.  Friendly, helpful and engaging.  I didn't meet any team members that I would have traded in for someone else.  Our room Stewards were outstanding.  The Venturing team is the best: we sailed with four of them in Antarctica in 2019 and it was great to see them again. 

We did eat in MDR once, otherwise we were entertained by Humpbacks (actually lost count one night), Orcas, Pacific white-sided dolphins, amazing sunsets...  TK rib night generated a number of "those were the best I've ever eaten" from fellow travelers. Crab feed with baked Alaska twice in the Colonnade, Halibut at E&O was sooooo good!  And the fruit was top notch.  Zero complaints about food from me, but I am relatively easy to please. 

Entertainment was good.  Enjoyed Michael playing guitar in Club and Observation Lounge.  Roy Tan was back with us the first week, and treated my wife and I to an impromptu arrangement of Blue Skies, and Hallelujah with Craig on guitar after Observation Lounge shut down one evening.  Words cannot describe the experience.

Love the Odyssey class ships!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

We did have a pleasant one on one chat with captain Tim which was throughly enjoyable.

we also found our chats with Captain Tim thoroughly enjoyable.

we were disappointed with a couple of rescheduled shorex/venture times and know this happens based on many cruises over the years.

sorry you’ve had quite a few service lapses.  Overall, we found the service was really good and a major improvement over the April ovation crossing.  We primarily ate dinner in the restaurant and had the same table and wait staff…this worked our so well for our party of 4.  

Nancy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

jondkf,  please don't limit your further posts due to the complaint of one poster here.  Your posts are welcomed here.  There is always going to be someone who disagrees with what you say.  Just ignore them.  

Agreed.  Grateful for your ongoing posts.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nancygp said:

My only real service issue was getting, real fast, 1/2 and 1/2 with my morning coffee in the colonnade.

Did they have Truvia available (if you noticed)?

I am already fantasizing that my husband (early riser) will run to Seabourn Square every morning to bring me a cup of coffee ready for the moment I wake up--so he can avoid my morning grouchiness. But I need to make sure he has the tools available that he'll need!

5 minutes ago, Earthtones said:

I am already fantasizing that my husband (early riser) will run to Seabourn Square every morning to bring me a cup of coffee ready for the moment I wake up--so he can avoid my morning grouchiness. But I need to make sure he has the tools available that he'll need!

Sorry, don’t know about Truvia.  I’m a Splenda user and bring my own packets as they take up almost no space. 😄

Nancy

• Thanks 1

Sorry to have started some of the conversations with @jondfkthat caused some unhappiness. I like solving puzzles, and sometimes it gets me into trouble.

Talking about puzzles, sometimes complaints/feedback do help. On the Quest last year, I made a complaint at the Square for not getting my favorite Sudoko printout. On the Odyssey, I am glad to see a printout of the Herald in my suite, and a printout of Sudoko at the Square.

Even with some hicupps, more on the Quest than the Odyssey, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruises. We regreted that, on the Odyssey, we purchased only one Future Cruise Deposit per person instead of two. Within a month off the ship, we already booked another cruise on the Odyssey for next year, and now we are eyeing another itinary.

I cannot say I enjoy reading negative comments, but I do pay attention to them. Often, I learn things from those comments, and they warn me of any possible surprises ahead. I hope, comments, both positive and negative, will continue to come.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Earthtones said:

I’ll ask Paul the excellent barista at the square.  All that is out on the counter is white sugar, raw sugar and what I’ve been told is Splenda powder in a small dispenser that clogs easily.  In my backpack I carry Splenda in a click dispenser which I keep in my pocket most of the day.  Perhaps Truvia is available in a similar form?

We were told on Ovation that packets of all kinds, sugar, ketchup, etc had been eliminated to reduce waste going overboard.  True or false I don’t know.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SLSD said:

Agree with SLSD.  Dont let one buzzkill stop you from your excellent reporting.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Agree with SLSD.  Dont let one buzzkill stop you from your excellent reporting.

Thanks for supporting reporting highplanesdrifers.  What some don't realize is that everyone has a different way of reporting about their cruises.  Some people concentrate on the details onboard the ship, while others report more about what they see in ports.  Both types of reporting work for me!  I just like to gather as much information as I can and appreciate all reports.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

Well, a second attempt at breakfast in the dining room, today they set up 25 tables, about twice as many as that first morning, before breakfast ended most, but not all had been used.  Quite a change for the better.  Todays meal was perfect, everything came together perfectly with a high level of service start to finish.  I did note that the pastry trays did run down to a very few items for those arriving late, didn’t affect our experience though.

Likewise an excellent meal last evening, our best yet.  We’ve settled in with a particular server with all of the associated goodness.  Drinks arrive with little more than a confirmation of what we like, the tongs go to the bread basket in anticipation, so many small details that collectively make a  large difference.

The bar staff continues to impress mightily our favorites, Candi in Observation and Numnum at the Patio are full of life.  Both have worked hard to fill in gaps (mind you we haven’t ask for anything that isn’t in the menu) neither have said “supply chain” they’ve just said may I order it tomorrow, success on every occasion.

Hubbard glacier today with much clearer sky’s the scenery is already amazing.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Earthtones said:

Truvia is not currently available, neither barista has any insight as to whether or not it may be in the future.  Could be a casualty of the less litter practice.

For my part I do understand this policy, but still find it difficult to describe how much ketchup, mayonnaise etc I want and where.  I always seem to get too much which seems wasteful.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Well, a second attempt at breakfast in the dining room, today they set up 25 tables, about twice as many as that first morning, before breakfast ended most, but not all had been used.  Quite a change for the better.  Todays meal was perfect, everything came together perfectly with a high level of service start to finish.  I did note that the pastry trays did run down to a very few items for those arriving late, didn’t affect our experience though.

Likewise an excellent meal last evening, our best yet.  We’ve settled in with a particular server with all of the associated goodness.  Drinks arrive with little more than a confirmation of what we like, the tongs go to the bread basket in anticipation, so many small details that collectively make a  large difference.

The bar staff continues to impress mightily our favorites, Candi in Observation and Numnum at the Patio are full of life.  Both have worked hard to fill in gaps (mind you we haven’t ask for anything that isn’t in the menu) neither have said “supply chain” they’ve just said may I order it tomorrow, success on every occasion.

Hubbard glacier today with much clearer sky’s the scenery is already amazing.

Sounds as if they serve the bread. Is the bread basket no longer on the table? It's been almost 4 years since our last cruise so I'm trying to keep up with all onboard changes, large and small. I will feel like a total newbie if we are ever able to cruise again!

20 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Sounds as if they serve the bread. Is the bread basket no longer on the table? It's been almost 4 years since our last cruise so I'm trying to keep up with all onboard changes, large and small. I will feel like a total newbie if we are ever able to cruise again!

They bring a tray with 3 breadbaskets and offer you a choice, total of 5 or 6 choices.  Our current very good waiter is quick to offer more once you finish your original choice - I try my best to resist seconds.  Was done exactly the same way on Ovation in June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Is the bread basket no longer on the table?

The breadsticks are still on the table and as mentioned the bread is served and you get offered choices from white roll, baguette slice, wholemeal, wholegrain, rye etc.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned early on we were surprised with an upgrade to a penthouse suite, on Ovation we were in a nice V4 suite which actually suited us well.  I’m the sort who does extensive research prior to booking and even more prior to sailing so I was aware of the general layout of the PH room.  I’m aware of no special privileges afforded to this room and nothing has been offered that we didn’t or couldn’t have on Ovation.

The room has a Nespreso machine which has proved handy now and again but certainly isn’t in in self worth the considerable premium.  I had decidedly mixed feelings about the semi walled off bed space and yes with real experience I still find it odd.  The doors are glass opaque yes but still glass so I can’t use the rest of the room while DW naps for example.  Might be useful if sharing the room with kids or family, mostly though it’s just in the way.  Another gimmicky feature is the shortcut through the closet to the washroom, this has actually proved quite useful so it’s a gimmick no more.  I commented on Ovation that the separate bathtub and shower seems to me a waste of space though I have no doubt some few use both, personally I’d rather see a bit larger shower or a lot more space to maneuver around the bath.

Now, towels.  On Ovation quite a number of us noted how small, thin and scratchy the towels were, not quite Motel 6 standard more like Best Western.  Towels here are a bit better, 5* hotel quality certainly not, but Hilton or Marriott grade, nearly.  

in all other respects the suite is in excellent repair, if maintenance is being deferred prior to fleet exit it is not evident in this room.  Quite satisfied.  We’ve had the usual number of “toilet didn’t flush” events which reminds me we had none on Ovation.  Maintenance has been quick to respond and effective in their solutions.

The room has enormous storage space, but we felt the same about our V4.  Closet space is larger but again was more than adequate on Ovation.  We have enjoyed the larger dining table and space for same especially as the number of restaurant closed days has led to greater reliance on room service.

Ask any specific questions you may have please ask.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jondfk said:

Truvia is not currently available, neither barista has any insight as to whether or not it may be in the future.  Could be a casualty of the less litter practice.

Thanks for checking. I'll bring my own--in the individual paper packets, so unfortunately the waste will be equivalent to what it would be if it were available in paper packets from the ship. 

• Like 1

Last evening we enjoyed a meal at Keller grill.  The host is quite convinced we met previously on Ovation, and perhaps we did but I simply don’t remember.  In any case he and his team took excellent care of us.  The place was full, every table, every seat, a server was assigned but honesty it was more a team effort with all team member performing multiple roles.

The food.  We enjoyed the small nibbles provided to start, a relish tray and some unique breadsticks.  Like most around us we had the Caesar salad, it’s perhaps not the best ever, but very very good.  We shared the NY steak for two, and found it too large even as split, but we noted others managed to finish so perhaps the portion is correct.  Dessert brought a lovely piece of coconut cake to share.  A throughly enjoyable meal.  We missed the large bar, and especially the amazing pianist we enjoyed on Ovation on the other hand we found the much smaller space more intimate and personal.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, jondfk said:

We missed the large bar, and especially the amazing pianist we enjoyed on Ovation on the other hand we found the much smaller space more intimate and personal.

Jon,  That's exactly our feelings about the TK Grill on the smaller ships.  We like the small intimate personal space, but miss the bar with the musician.  

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Jon,  That's exactly our feelings about the TK Grill on the smaller ships.  We like the small intimate personal space, but miss the bar with the musician.  

Susan,

we feel the same

nancy

9 hours ago, jondfk said:

We enjoyed the small nibbles provided to start, a relish tray and some unique breadsticks.

For those who are celiac/gluten free, the GF bread rolls in TK are outstanding. Last year aboard Encore we arranged to have them brought to the MDR each night we weren't in TK. Sooo good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1