Has Anyone Made it to Greenland?

luvtosing

I believe the Canada, Greenland, Iceland was a fairly new itinerary for Viking and early in the season I know all of Greenland and some of Iceland got canceled. Has anyone made it through that full itinerary? If so, how was it?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, luvtosing said:

I believe the Canada, Greenland, Iceland was a fairly new itinerary for Viking and early in the season I know all of Greenland and some of Iceland got canceled. Has anyone made it through that full itinerary? If so, how was it?  

We did “In Wake of Vikings” the year before COVID struck and made one of the Greenland stops, Qaqortog. The stop was fun….a small museum, a big Danish supermarket chocked full of interesting stuff from all over, some shops, tourist “center”,  and fascinating scenery. The young people of Qaqortog stood out at intervals in the town, answering questions, directing people and just chatting….they were delightful and happy to practice English. I wish our stop had been longer. We missed the other Greenland port.

• Like 3

We visited Greenland in 2016 on a Silversea expedition ship with 100 pax.  Rough crossing from Iceland followed by many visits to settlement large and small, including the capital Nuuk as well as explorations by zodiac of glacier, hot springs and remains of early settlements. 

• Like 1

We were very lucky, it seems, on our In the Wake of the Vikings cruise on Sept. 4, 2018.  We made all the ports, including Faroes, Shetland Islands, Iceland, and the Greenland ports.  And it was sunny and warm for two days in Bergen.

• Like 2

We did western Greenland last month on Silversea. An ice field was blocking one of our stops but luckily cleared and we were able to enter the fjord. The Captain cancelled the Nuuk stop due to a storm system with high winds. Other than those two issues the ship was able to complete the itinerary.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

We booked Into the Northwest Passage which sails to Greenland and Canada.  It’s on Viking Octantis so we’re hoping an expedition ship has a better chance of completing this icy itinerary!

You'll have an interesting trip, visiting quite a number of high latitude "off the track" places. The only unfortunate thing about your agenda is that you will not transit Prins Christianssund on the southeast corner of Greenland. It's one of the more spectacular fjords on the planet. Enjoy your trip! 🍺🥌

Transatlantic2019109.thumb.jpeg.880fba2149a3677ccb9369f910928ee7.jpeg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

You'll have an interesting trip, visiting quite a number of high latitude "off the track" places. The only unfortunate thing about your agenda is that you will not transit Prins Christianssund on the southeast corner of Greenland. It's one of the more spectacular fjords on the planet. Enjoy your trip! 🍺🥌

Transatlantic2019109.thumb.jpeg.880fba2149a3677ccb9369f910928ee7.jpeg

Couldn't agree with this more!  Some of my favorite photographs are from the Sound, although I don't have anything that is this spectacular.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like many have made it to Greenland before this  year's infamous iceberg season due to the melting glaciers and warmer temps.

Has anyone made it on Viking Ocean in 2023?

Viking Expedition is rated higher and no doubt can make it weather permitting.

Perhaps Viking will modify the schedules in the future.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Following particularly interested in the Saturn voyages 

Follow the current Neptune voyage as they just left NYC yesterday on the Iceland, Greenland, Canada cruise. They’ll be the first to try since the early summer itineraries.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

Follow the current Neptune voyage as they just left NYC yesterday on the Iceland, Greenland, Canada cruise. They’ll be the first to try since the early summer itineraries.

How do we follow it? 

On 8/7/2023 at 3:13 PM, Frenchberet said:

We booked Into the Northwest Passage which sails to Greenland and Canada.  It’s on Viking Octantis so we’re hoping an expedition ship has a better chance of completing this icy itinerary!

"Sea" you on board.  🙂   We are also on board prior, out of Milwaukee.   B2B for us.  Luckily same cabin, no moving.  😉 

Edited by island lady

On 8/7/2023 at 12:13 PM, Frenchberet said:

Only ice hull ships are allowed into the NW Passage.  You'll have a memorable experience.  Almost like the one we're on now on the V Saturn (stateroom 6075).  We did the NW passage 2023, KEF Iceland to SAN San Diego CA, 57 days on the Scenic Eclipse I.

• Like 2

I am interested in any updates on this from Saturn or Sky as I am seeing mixed reports on whether my 30/08 trip is going to have a lot more sea days than I had hoped for or not 

(yes I know weather can change again etc)

13 hours ago, uktog said:

I am interested in any updates on this from Saturn or Sky as I am seeing mixed reports on whether my 30/08 trip is going to have a lot more sea days than I had hoped for or not 

(yes I know weather can change again etc)

I’m planning for the worst and hoping for the best! Saturn is currently headed towards Nanortalik, so we will see how it goes for them with the two Greenland ports and L’Anse aux Meadows afterwards. When do you leave home for NY? Hopefully, there will be additional data points on those ports before we all leave our homes for the August 30th sailing. 

My mom just got back from a NYC => Reykjavik voyage on the Neptune. L'Anse aux Meadows was canceled for rough seas, but they made both stops in Greenland. Unfortunately about 12 passengers got Covid about halfway through the voyage. They had to isolate in their staterooms for the rest of the trip.

• Thanks 1

My parents are on the Saturn right now, Iceland to NY. They had to cancel their first stop in Iceland (don't ask me the name of the port. LOL!). It was a tender port, I know that. But they did both stops in Greenland. However, for yesterday's port, my parents ended up cancelling their excursion. It was raining pretty hard all day, and while my mom is mobile enough, she has to be a little more careful. I'm sure it just wasn't worth risking a fall/injury as hard as it was raining. They did go into town today where they docked, even though it was raining for part of the day, but not as hard.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, malawijay said:

My mom just got back from a NYC => Reykjavik voyage on the Neptune. L'Anse aux Meadows was canceled for rough seas, but they made both stops in Greenland. Unfortunately about 12 passengers got Covid about halfway through the voyage. They had to isolate in their staterooms for the rest of the trip.

Thanks so much for this info. Did the canceled port/rough seas make the trip difficult or did they avoid the discomfort to passengers by canceling?  

2 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

My parents are on the Saturn right now, Iceland to NY. They had to cancel their first stop in Iceland (don't ask me the name of the port. LOL!). It was a tender port, I know that. But they did both stops in Greenland. However, for yesterday's port, my parents ended up cancelling their excursion. It was raining pretty hard all day, and while my mom is mobile enough, she has to be a little more careful. I'm sure it just wasn't worth risking a fall/injury as hard as it was raining. They did go into town today where they docked, even though it was raining for part of the day, but not as hard.

Thanks very much for this info. It seems like a canceled port here and there for this itinerary, no matter when the sailing! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, luvtosing said:

Thanks very much for this info. It seems like a canceled port here and there for this itinerary, no matter when the sailing! 

For sure! I don't know if all of the ports for Iceland are tenders, but the first one definitely was, so that one they had to skip. But I know my parents were happy to say they've actually been to Greenland. LOL!

• Like 1