Onboard Emerald Hawaii bound

LawDog61

Just now, voljeep said:

how do you 'prep' for an earthquake ??

As someone who lived in SoCal for almost thirty years, earthquake preparedness is an on-going thing. It's not like boarding up your windows and laying out sand bags.

1) Having a plan is important. You don't know where you'll be when one strikes so knowing in advance how your family can reach each other is a good thing.

2) Earthquake "proofing" your living spaces. There's no such thing as earthquake proof really but you can make the structures more resistant. Having your house built to code, not leaving heavy objects on high shelves, securing tall furniture to the wall so it won't topple over and so on.

3) Keeping emergency lighting and plenty of batteries around. We stored our batteries in the freezer!

4) Have a supply of non-perishable food as well as a stash of potable water.

In general, be prepared to go without utilities for at least four days.

Certainly not a comprehensive list, but gives you an idea of how you prep for an earthquake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

it's hard to tell online if a question is real or sarcastic, so I am assuming real:

• lots of building regulations & retrofit work...infrastructure is big (this was what I meant mostly in my previous post...spending infrastructure funds on building for earthquakes that will happen rather than things like storm drainage that might happen every century)
  • on a personal level, emergency go kit with meds, $, food & water, documents...
  • disaster & meet up plan with family/friends
  • know how to shut off water/power/gas
  • it's a constant low level of readiness rather than a prep after a warning like a tornado, hurricane, fire...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This sailing epitomizes our changing world from climate change.

Who would have thought that it would be possible for a cruise to sail from out-of-control wildfires in Hawaii to a hurricane in California?

What's next...a blizzard in Fort Lauderdale?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

This sailing epitomizes our changing world from climate change.

Who would have thought that it would be possible for a cruise to sail from out-of-control wildfires in Hawaii to a hurricane in California?

What's next...a blizzard in Fort Lauderdale?

nah - but the tropics are getting active - we're 'prepped' as much as we can - water , spam - extra propane tank for grill - trying to reduce amount of food in fridge - batteries - 'crank radio' - try to keep a mostly full tank of gas in vehicles - had palms trimmed, but we do that all the time anyway.

• Like 2

Southern California airports are cancelling some flights.  Passengers should be prepared for delays and/or modifications to their flight plans.  

If you can fly out of Long Beach, you will avoid the traffic at LAX.

Wishing you all safe travels today and tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

I love your wallpaper! Hope you are safe & dry!

Thanks.  This is a current photo of my backyard when I was growing up.  Wish I had that house now.  We spent a lot of time over the summers and weekends there as my dad developed the West end of Oahu.

• Like 1

Disembarking was a real mess.  They told disembarking passengers (all 700 of us and all with with luggage ) to go to the explorer lounge at 10:15.   No lines, no organization. And everyone was in a hurry trying to beat the storm. 

Over all a very pleasant cruise, but so many strange and tragic events. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawDog61 said:

Disembarking was a real mess.  They told disembarking passengers (all 700 of us and all with with luggage ) to go to the explorer lounge at 10:15.   No lines, no organization. And everyone was in a hurry trying to beat the storm. 

Over all a very pleasant cruise, but so many strange and tragic events. 

I hope you made it home without too many obstacles.  Steady rain has picked up (I live between you and the port). 

2:43 PM Earthquake...so cal.  Wow

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I hope you made it home without too many obstacles.  Steady rain has picked up (I live between you and the port). 

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, no problems.  Thanks for the good wishes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

We just had a 5.1 earthquake a few minutes ago. 

You keep supplies, know where to turn off the gas, have a plan for evacuation, taking pets, etc. You also want to know where to take cover, and where not to in your home. 

Also, have meeting spots for family, in case we lose phone usage. 

It was terrifying in 94, and we never want to relive that. We have freeways here which were near the earthquake area that were never the same, and to this day are reminders of how powerful earthquakes are.

Edited by startedwithamouse

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

It's "cute" watching the weather channel about this little tropical storm ...

Does Southern California not have any storm drainage to control the rain on the roads? - guess not since this projected 4 inches of rain is a 100 year storm

Weather apps are useless. It's not the amount, but the time it falls in and how SoCal can't handle the drainage of that much, that fast.  And we don't want all the debris to drain to the ocean, further polluting it. Our freeways are some of the oldest in the country, and flood very quickly.

• Like 1