Hayhu Beach Club

Monica887

I learned about Hayhu Beach Club from this board but struggled to find info, so I thought I'd share my review. 

https://www.hayhubeach.com/day-pass/

Pricing info is on the website, but I wasn't sure what package to do. They were responsive with pictures and maps when I emailed. I don't drink a ton, and it was just 2 of us so we went with the a la carte package - no regrets - didn't need more. If I had a bigger group VIP would be worth it. 

The first thing when you enter is the bar area and small shop. 

PXL_20230810_184508044.thumb.jpg.51c03e7c1e89e431653a433dbcb1be63.jpg

You go down the steps from that platform, and on each side is table seating and one small massage station. 

PXL_20230810_184427442.thumb.jpg.3bee10505b8ea71dbdc5bd0b29d5d7c8.jpg

Above the table areas are the 2 VIP sections.  That package includes private bathroom and shower and towels, and more food credit. PXL_20230810_184412775.thumb.jpg.6c0167c797fed7a90c29280efefee9f1.jpg

Keep walking towards the beach and on each side is the a la carte section. This space is shared with other guests, but on our day, we had one other couple on our side, and a family on the other side. Not too crowded at all. 

PXL_20230810_153632577.thumb.jpg.1f8c6ed8ca4078bc1bd289afe994c687.jpg

Walk past the a la carte section and you get to the Beach and Jungle seating. 

PXL_20230810_184238082.thumb.jpg.5d2b031dabc3eba602f1d387c97bd75a.jpg

This is on the beach instead of a platform and more private, if that's important to you. I'm glad I didn't bother upgrading. I actually preferred the platform.  

PXL_20230810_184313144.thumb.jpg.04b70961e5ddce4fe3a7cd3fc421c666.jpg

There's a small outdoor shower for the non VIP people. 

PXL_20230810_184555951.thumb.jpg.a69ec4bc3dabc5f80814769f03d7aa43.jpg

And watch your step - sea turtle nests everywhere!

PXL_20230810_153517916.thumb.jpg.f79db865abade2525eb39d6ce6ad5e8c.jpg

The sargassum is real. We saw at least one family leave because of it. While there were some small kids playing in the water, it wasn't the most perfect blue, clean water some people are looking for.

PXL_20230810_184316932.thumb.jpg.e3142d7630507c353dfcf8281af841e1.jpg

I'll do a separate post with menu pictures, but 100% I would come back. Super peaceful and well run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Transportation IS included but it's a long walk from the dock. Give yourself plenty of time to get there, especially since the directions are confusing.

Also, in the basic package, towels are NOT included - don't make the same mistake I did! Bring a towel!

Between the two of us we ordered 3 dishes and 2 drinks. That was still $4 less than the food credit it comes with, so that whole day cost $120 plus tip. Far better than any excursion! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got caipirosca de mango, mezcalito sour, palta pora, chipa guazu, and ceviche cocaveggie. 

They initially didn't have any coconut for the veggie dish, but was able to get a fresh coconut from "a neighbor!" Everything was fresh and delicious. Vegetarian choices. I wish we had room for dessert - they sounded delicious!

PXL_20230810_172711275.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.f0b1014c9e71f625c0ac9904349fefcf.jpg

PXL_20230810_174543589.thumb.jpg.57bb6c7dcb976bb8867d0b4032529217.jpg

PXL_20230810_174629746.thumb.jpg.3aab0f343eb1fdfe5ef62a1d7784445f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, always smiling said:

Thank you very much for the great review.  I would love to do this for our February cruise, however, I'm not concerned it may be too much walking for my 79 year old mother from the dock?  Is there any sort of shuttle or service available?

There is sometimes a trolley that runs the length of the pier, otherwise there may be wheelchair assistance from the ship. It has always been a little unpredictable and even then you have to walk all through the port area to wherever the transport pick-up is located. Driver may be able to come into the port to pick up someone with mobility issues from the taxi stand now but one person would probably need to go outside the port first to meet them. Coming back they should be able to drop you inside the port but you still have the whole port area and length of pier to walk. Return wheelchairs are on first come first served basis so allow plenty of time.

We have always found it best to bring our own light weight transport chair for ports and airports and especially for Costa Maya. 

The walk will be the same for any place you want to visit outside the port.

• Like 2

@Monica887 Thanks so much for your review and pics. We have a reservation for our cruise this fall and are looking forward to it even more so after reading your review. We are crossing our fingers that the sargassum is nearly gone or greatly reduced when we get there.

Edited by texangal39

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this great review.  I just made reservations for our cruise on the Joy next week.  they were quick to respond and provided excellent information.  Looking forward to this excursion and hoping the seaweed is gone.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rather than post a new review, I will add my experience to this thread since I didn’t capture shots of the menu. We were there on November 23, 2023 for the day. We were one of the first people to get off the ship as I wanted get the most out of our time at the resort. Booking was simple and the staff replies quickly to inquiries and messages. We booked the Beach & Jungle plan and I’m glad we did because it afforded us our own private area. You are encouraged to communicate via WhatsApp which is a quick download on your cellphone and easy to use. A week before arriving we received an email with instructions on how to get to the pickup area and find our driver. A few days before arrival we received a message from the driver with his picture and more instructions. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get from your ship to the pickup spot because it takes a good 15-20 minutes. Also, make sure you communicate the time correctly you wan to be picked up to go to the resort and head back to the ship by clarifying your pickup time in their time zone rather than ship time.

The ride to the property takes about 25-30 minutes and you will lose cell service, but the resort offers free WiFi that works well. But if ever there is a day to unplug, this is it! We arrived and hopped out and Carlos was waiting at the entrance with a smile. He gave us a tour, introduced us to the team, and guided us to our reserved spot. We enjoyed a cute covered area with 2 sun loungers, 2 bean bags, and 2 tables for food and beverages. The beach was clean and the resort was charming and comfortable. We were soon settled in and we placed an order for 2 mango smoothies, which turned out to be fresh and not overly sweet; perfect! We quickly received our shrimp tostadas which were so amazing we had multiple orders of it! We also thoroughly enjoyed the guacamole and sashimi. Everyone was very kind, smiled and the staff checked on us enough that we felt taken care of but were not overly bothered as we relaxed and enjoyed the beach and the peaceful surroundings. If you are looking for a quiet getaway with excellent food, beverages, and service choose this place. It is not a party atmosphere, which is great if you are looking to completely disconnect in a quiet place. There is an outdoor shower area to wash off the sand, a massage area on the beach where a nice young lady will work the tension out of your body, clean facilities, a bar area, and plenty of seating areas if you want to get out of the sun or socialize with others. The resort offers kayaks and during our stay there was no sargassum on the beach. There was a very small clump in the water farther out in the ocean, which was not a bother at all. This place brought back memories when our family went to the beach when I was young; playing in the water and sand, great food, and the best naps in the world on the beach after a good swim and some sand castle building. I highly recommend this place as there isn’t much to do in the Costa Maya area aside from some Mayan ruins and the beach. We paid cash and tipped the staff and were picked up on time. You are asked what time you want to leave and they arrange a driver to pick you up at that time. We were back on the ship 1 hour before final boarding. Overall I can’t say enough about this place. I am not a fan of Costa Maya for a few reasons, but Hayhu makes it all worth it! 

IMG_3748.jpeg

IMG_3745.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg

IMG_3741.jpeg

IMG_3739.jpeg

IMG_3740.jpeg

IMG_3733.jpeg

IMG_3728.jpeg

IMG_3721.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

Edited by texangal39
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thankx Monica for recommending and your review. Because of it we decided on  Hayhu. We are glad we did! As everyone's previous review, don't underestimate the walk and unfounded anxiety of will there be a cab. There is communication with cabbie in advance. problem my cell phone= work, so on vacation it is not by my side. Also time is different that ship time (Virgin does not change clocks w/ time zone change.) just a reminder. Cabbie was better than great, he and wife were designated drivers for resort (Gabriel and Ruth) Ride is nothing compared to Maya Chan but people we talked to on beach thought it was a Great Adventure. Greeted as previously described but the greatest thing that no one mentioned... the water was sensational... NO seaweed at all... walk forever to get out waist deep. Light waves, cool not hot,not cold temp HEAVEN!!!!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Outta My Work Clothes said:

Thankx Monica for recommending and your review. Because of it we decided on  Hayhu. We are glad we did! As everyone's previous review, don't underestimate the walk and unfounded anxiety of will there be a cab. There is communication with cabbie in advance. problem my cell phone= work, so on vacation it is not by my side. Also time is different that ship time (Virgin does not change clocks w/ time zone change.) just a reminder. Cabbie was better than great, he and wife were designated drivers for resort (Gabriel and Ruth) Ride is nothing compared to Maya Chan but people we talked to on beach thought it was a Great Adventure. Greeted as previously described but the greatest thing that no one mentioned... the water was sensational... NO seaweed at all... walk forever to get out waist deep. Light waves, cool not hot,not cold temp HEAVEN!!!!  

Not really understanding some of your comments but I assume you are saying they have worked out reliable transport now and communications are via WhatsApp?

Time zones will depend on where your ship is leaving from, time of year and whether your ship alters time or not so it depends on individual sailings.

With regards route, I presume you are saying the route is on the inland highway and then turn in towards coast for shorter rough ride as opposed to going along the Oceanside the whole way to Maya Chan?

Again sargassum depends on season - there have been reports of bad days but if you went recently this is generally a clearer time of year. 

Glad you had a good day. I was one of the first to discover this location when it first opened and I am still waiting for the opportunity to try it!

Edited by c-leg5

Let me translate.... 

they sent me a tex on my phone with specific details of pick up spot/ who will be picking up and when. Should of given my wifes number as I don't carry my cell all the time. Do not have What'sApp.

Time Zone: of coarse it depends on time of year, ship etc... just a TIP to be aware of... NCL changes ship time with the port. Therefore no problem. Virgin maintains ship time time and does not change... you could easily be a port runner if you are not aware of the time difference.

Sargassum  is seasonal, Yes. but as pictures showed earlier of the dark (red) side of it... which we have encountered in Oct several yrs ago; past Nov, there was no seaweed anywhere and it was one of the best beach days we ever had.

What a Great Discovery! I hope you get to enjoy soon, and with NO red tide! No knock on Chan, but we loved our visit.

PS: we took stroll on beach and came upon a couple who were snow birds from PA, just sitting on beach at their house w couple of dogs... What a Life!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Outta My Work Clothes said:

Where are you looking at in Jan Jean?

We actually went to Hayhu!  The day before, we got an email that our outing was cancelled.  I had Hayhu WhatsApp saved and quickly texted them asking for just the a la carte option.  They had a last minute cancelation so they did accommodate us.  We walked to the pickup spot about 0.75 walk and Gabriel picked us up at 9am.  25 minute cab ride.  We had a $30 each food and drink credit.  We got ceviche and guacamole plus diet cokes.  We did pay with cc but were charged the 5%.  Did a lot of snorkeling. Left to go back to port at 330.  Our onboard was 530.  

20240101_125231.jpg

P1010001.JPG

P1010008_edit_1704136167899.JPG

P1010012_edit_1704136243953.JPG

P1010013.JPG

20240101_124215.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/12/2023 at 5:39 AM, jean87510 said:

I reviewed this place last year and want to also share that the snorkeling is phenomenal.  We are trying something different in 3 weeks but plan to visit again soon.

Hi Jean. We made reservations at Hayhu for our March cruise. How far out is the best snorkeling? Also, was there one  particular area better than the other? We are looking forward to trying this place!! Thank you!

Edited by houseflipper48

10 hours ago, houseflipper48 said:

Hi Jean. We made reservations at Hayhu for our March cruise. How far out is the best snorkeling? Also, was there one  particular area better than the other? We are looking forward to trying this place!! Thank you!

The good reef is a far swim to the right at a 2:00 position.  There is closer reef that's easier.  The people that work there will show you from the shore which direction to go.  We are both strong swimmers and honestly I think this is important in going to the farther reef.  Another idea, if you are hesitant, is to pre ask if anyone working there can take you out.  I did this in Punta Sur, Cozumel once and it was great as I never would have found on my own.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to those who are reviewing and providing pics! I have a girls' cruise Sept 2024 and I'm the planner so this is where we're going 😬

Does anyone know, if you book VIP, can you still grab a lounger on the beach if you want, or are those reserved for other bookings? And does anyone know how the seaweed is in Sept? I seem to recall there are typically better months than others.