Canadian cash--Will there be ATM machines at Halifax port? We prefer to use our credit cards, but want some cash on hand

barb in ga

We're on a NYC to Quebec City cruise next month. We will want to have a little cash on hand for small purchases as needed. Halifax is our first Canadian port; will I be able to find a cash point pretty close? We were in Vancouver in May before our  Alaska cruise and found we were able to use credit cards for everything, but we may be looking to make some small purchases, water, snacks, post cards etc on this itinerary.

Barb

1 hour ago, barb in ga said:

Halifax is our first Canadian port; will I be able to find a cash point pretty close?

Yes-- there are many in town at physical banks but the closest one I found to the pier itself was in the lobby of the Westin Hotel which is right there by the ship. 

16 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

"Generally" I understand we get the best conversion rates from real bank ATMs. 

Correct. The ATM at an actual Canadian bank will be the best rate you can get and you wont pay the fees you do at commercial exchanges or onboard the ship. 

• Like 3

On 8/11/2023 at 1:31 AM, Ashland said:

We find it easier to just order online from our local bank...the small service fee..worth it.

We also went to our local bank and we were able to pay us$ and receive $Can in 2 days.  The exchange rate was a little less than the going rate, but very convenient and far(!) better exchange rate than using us$ at vendors in Halifax last August.

Lifelong Canadian here. While I understand the desire to get some small amount of cash, it's not absolutely necessary. I literally don't remember the last time I used cash, easily many years ago. Even a $1 purchase is easily done on my credit card, the machine doesn't care what the amount is and it avoids having to receive those annoying big coins as change.  Up here we make extensive use of the tap and rarely even have to insert the CC into a reader and enter a PIN though that option will always be there if your card isn't so configured. The only exception I can think of is Costco which only accepts a very limited number of credit cards and we just use our ATM card when we're there. Have a great trip ;o)

17 hours ago, roomba920 said:

I hope you have an international calling plan. I didn't and my bank locked my debit card when I tried to use an ATM in Canada. They emailed me to ask if it was me, but I had no cell or internet service.

Good idea to notify your banks that issued your credit cards and ATM card before you leave.  Of course some don't need to hear from you (Chase & AXP as they will attempt to contact you by text or email which may not be a good thing).  The bank who issued my ATM card did want to know.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

5 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Good idea to notify your banks that issued your credit cards and ATM card before you leave.  Of course some don't need to hear from you (Chase & AXP as they will attempt to contact you by text or email which may not be a good thing).  The bank who issued my ATM card did want to know.

LOL, ya well I did, and ya, they told me I didn't need to notify them. Then they proceeded to lock me out of my account when I tried to use my debit card at a Canadian ATM. They shouldn't assume that everyone has an international cell phone plan.

• Like 1