Celebrity vs Holland American

nextariel

Hi nextariel (love your screen name!),

We are also elite + with Celebrity, love this cruise line. We enjoy HAL too and are getting ready for our 3rd Holland America cruise. I did not read through posted responses to your question, so apologies for any duplication. A few of our personal and subjective thoughts:

Prefer HAL Neptune Suite to =X= Sky Suite or AQ Cabin

Prefer X Suite service level to HAL’s Neptune and Suite class service

Prefer X service level (guest service, front desk, room service and dining)

Definitely enjoy Luminae suite dining (menu and venue)  over HAL Club Orange 

HAL spa service (thalassotherapy, sauna and massage) excels X (less buy up pressure)

Not big on buffets but prefer that HAL serves their guests, limiting germs 

Enjoy specialty dining menu on both lines but HAL up charges more items 

X seems to be younger and more demographically diverse 

HAL cruisers may be more mature, international and enjoy different itineraries

HAL seems more “old charm” and has promenade decks!

Entertainment is hit/miss on both but HAL’s World stage is amazing 

Definitely not bar flys 🤣 but have found HAL’s bar service unfriendly in a couple venues

HAL has king sized beds in their suites, which X does not! Huge win as I’m 6’7”

HAL laundry service much better than X (lots of wire hangers!) 😉

HAL does have more children on summer cruises, as does X though X may have more children in off / shoulder season cruising 

Happy to share more, feel free to message us! Good luck on your future cruise! 

Edited by Mermen
  • Like 1

This is interesting as it reflects a change in direction for Celebrity toward a more family friendly approach.  We booked on a 2025 Cruise specifically for Mardi Gras.  We got this notice of a major change in itinerary based on this change in approach.  Also noteworthy, we received the change notice with a date for cancellation but no firm info as to pricing adjustments or info on when this info would be available, which makes decision making quite challenging.  This is our first experience with Celebrity and based on both this change in approach and the less than stellar handling of this matter, it will be our last.  This is not really relevant to OP's general question, but it provides a data point for reflection.

Dear Guest,

At Celebrity Cruises, we are passionate about providing award-winning vacation experiences.  As we position our brand for continued success, we constantly seek opportunities to elevate our already incredible offerings.  With this goal in mind, Celebrity Cruises will be redeploying Celebrity Constellation in January 2025, with shorter itineraries to better serve family travelers out of Tampa, Florida. As a result, your Celebrity Constellation Mardi Gras sailing, embarking on March 1, 2025 will be necessarily adjusted, as reflected below.

RTFImage_64db99def69c890388005860.PNG

No action will be required on your part to sail on this modified itinerary. Your cruise will automatically be adjusted, with your embarkation date and stateroom assignment remaining the same. Your cruise fare will be pro-rated to the shortened voyage length. Additionally, in appreciation for your flexibility and for continuing to remain on this sailing, you will receive an onboard credit of $200 per stateroom, $400 for Retreat accommodations. An updated invoice will be sent once this process is complete.

Any onboard amenities booked with your current promotion or purchased pre-cruise via the Celebrity Cruise Planner (such as internet or beverage packages) will be adjusted and pro-rated automatically. If you have pre-booked any shore excursions, specialty dining or other onboard items scheduled on days that have been removed from the itinerary, you will be refunded in full to your original method of payment.

Guests with independent hotel or shore excursion arrangements in Tampa will need to contact providers directly to make required travel modifications. Guests with hotel reservations booked through Flights by Celebrity will automatically be re-accommodated (you will not need to call in to initiate the process).

If you do not wish to accept this sailing modification, you will have the option to cancel and rebook a new itinerary or receive a 100% refund from now through August 29, 2023. If you do choose to cancel your reservation and have pre-booked any shore excursions, beverage, internet, specialty dining, other onboard packages or hotel stays through Celebrity Cruises, you will also receive a 100% refund for these items. Please note, any reservation paid with Future Cruise Credit will not be eligible for a cash refund; however, the Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated. Please contact us or your travel agent for alternative sailing options and your reservation will be shifted at prevailing rates.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

9 minutes ago, mkl55 said:

We booked on a 2025 Cruise specifically for Mardi Gras.

It looks like you still get Mardi Gras, but little else.  Thankfully they made this change a year and a half out.  No one would have booked flights yet, and there are  plenty of opportunities to choose something else. 

If we donate allow cruise lines some flexibility to adjust to changing business environments, they will stop opening bookings so far out.  On the other hand, they will anger some folks who vote with their feet.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mkl55 said:

This is interesting as it reflects a change in direction for Celebrity toward a more family friendly approach.  We booked on a 2025 Cruise specifically for Mardi Gras.  We got this notice of a major change in itinerary based on this change in approach.  Also noteworthy, we received the change notice with a date for cancellation but no firm info as to pricing adjustments or info on when this info would be available, which makes decision making quite challenging.  This is our first experience with Celebrity and based on both this change in approach and the less than stellar handling of this matter, it will be our last.  This is not really relevant to OP's general question, but it provides a data point for reflection.

Dear Guest,

At Celebrity Cruises, we are passionate about providing award-winning vacation experiences.  As we position our brand for continued success, we constantly seek opportunities to elevate our already incredible offerings.  With this goal in mind, Celebrity Cruises will be redeploying Celebrity Constellation in January 2025, with shorter itineraries to better serve family travelers out of Tampa, Florida. As a result, your Celebrity Constellation Mardi Gras sailing, embarking on March 1, 2025 will be necessarily adjusted, as reflected below.

RTFImage_64db99def69c890388005860.PNG

No action will be required on your part to sail on this modified itinerary. Your cruise will automatically be adjusted, with your embarkation date and stateroom assignment remaining the same. Your cruise fare will be pro-rated to the shortened voyage length. Additionally, in appreciation for your flexibility and for continuing to remain on this sailing, you will receive an onboard credit of $200 per stateroom, $400 for Retreat accommodations. An updated invoice will be sent once this process is complete.

Any onboard amenities booked with your current promotion or purchased pre-cruise via the Celebrity Cruise Planner (such as internet or beverage packages) will be adjusted and pro-rated automatically. If you have pre-booked any shore excursions, specialty dining or other onboard items scheduled on days that have been removed from the itinerary, you will be refunded in full to your original method of payment.

Guests with independent hotel or shore excursion arrangements in Tampa will need to contact providers directly to make required travel modifications. Guests with hotel reservations booked through Flights by Celebrity will automatically be re-accommodated (you will not need to call in to initiate the process).

If you do not wish to accept this sailing modification, you will have the option to cancel and rebook a new itinerary or receive a 100% refund from now through August 29, 2023. If you do choose to cancel your reservation and have pre-booked any shore excursions, beverage, internet, specialty dining, other onboard packages or hotel stays through Celebrity Cruises, you will also receive a 100% refund for these items. Please note, any reservation paid with Future Cruise Credit will not be eligible for a cash refund; however, the Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated. Please contact us or your travel agent for alternative sailing options and your reservation will be shifted at prevailing rates.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

WOW, I guess we now know the direction Celebrity plans to take. Looks like we will be jumping ship.

• Like 2

Being Elite Plus with Celebrity & 3 Star Mariner with Holland America  .the main differences I see is in the entertainment . Celebrity has  Broadway style shows  & other music through out the ship in small groups to as little as one guitar player . .Celebrity has entertainment past midm=night .Holland America lacks Broadway  style shows  uses a dance Team repeatedly for shows & has Music Walk with the Rolling Rock Group--rock music  ,Billboard on board 2 pianos with vocalists singing more typical songs & Blues Club which has some dancing & occasionally will have a comedian .They also have a studio for arts   .This is on their Pinnacle Class ships . HAL has the Dutch Cade which is excellent 

The more I think of it they both pretty well match up fairly closely   .Then holland does have long itineraries which Celebrity generally does not .except trans Atlantics  ie 

We have cruised Celebrity to the Z Level and HAL to 4 **** 

Never have we experienced the repeat back to back cruisers that we experienced over the last year on our 8 week stay on N Statendam.  B2B were never less than 200 pax and as high as 700+.  We found the demographics very similar between the two lines.

If you are a frequent cruiser (like us) the stage shows on Celebrity get stale fast but guest entertainers are better than on HAL.  However we like to dance and the opportunities on HAL are much better than on Celebrity.  Celebrity has picked all the busiest walkways and put a small dance floor in the middle.

One thing that I have found as I read threads on both HAL and X, here and another location, is that Celebrity sites have more vicious, nasty and unsympathetic responses if one tries to post a negative experience.  HAL members, as a group,  are friendlier and more helpful by a country mile.  The friends you make on both lines are equally fantastic.

• Like 3

I’ve done both lines recently. 

My main differences:

HAL - has better itineraries and we usually sail for the itinerary. The passengers tend to skew older and educated. I like the HAL shore excursions a bit better than Celebrity. HAL is less expensive than Celebrity. I’ve always received excellent service. 

Celebrity - has better nightlife. The crowd is a bit younger than HAL. There is just a more “electric feel” onboard. I have more fun onboard Celebrity. I like the solarium and spa cafe on Celebrity. I’ve always received excellent service. 

You really can’t go wrong with either. If it boils down to itinerary with you, then choose the one with the best itinerary. If you care more about having fun at night onboard, maybe think about celebrity.

You’re cruising, just remember to enjoy yourself, let the little things go, and have fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are also elite + on Celebrity and no longer book them due to both the new ships with the "infinity balcony" and the lack of any new cruises/ports...they just do the same cruises over and over.  HAL has much more interesting itineraries and it's much easier to book longer cruises (we used to try to do 10-14 nights...now we book more in the 20-28 night range.  Specialty restaurant cost on Celebrity is absurd as are their drink prices.  The food and service in Blu is very good and arrives hot, unlike the MDR.  Certainly there is more nightlife (after 10pm) on Celebrity than on HAL.....which speaks to the average age of passengers.  Contrary to popular opinion, the average age of HAL passengers is not :"dead", but there are far more white heads.  Interestingly, we've seen less wheel chairs and walkers on HAL than on Celebrity...can't explain.   For accuracy, we now fit the HAL demographic.   Celebrity desserts used to be outstanding, but that waned prior to Covid....I'd say the buffet food is very comparable.  As a note, even though no one has asked....we no longer book or recommend Princess at all.....based on food, ship layout (no way to see forward sitting indoors/all entertainment along one long hallway on the sky princess turned us off completely.

• Like 4

On 8/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, nextariel said:

I looked through 25 pages and did not find a topic regarding a comparison to Celebrity.

Well, I find your first statement a bit hard to believe, as the comparisons never end.  So, here's the bottom line... you will get tons of advice regarding X vs HA, BUT, you will never, ever know until you sail them. Period. 

Princess is Princess

Celebrity is Celebrity

Holland is Holland

Each has their strengths, each has their minuses, and EVERY ship is different.  You will simply never know until you try it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, julia said:

Well, I find your first statement a bit hard to believe, as the comparisons never end.  So, here's the bottom line... you will get tons of advice regarding X vs HA, BUT, you will never, ever know until you sail them. Period. 

Princess is Princess

Celebrity is Celebrity

Holland is Holland

Each has their strengths, each has their minuses, and EVERY ship is different.  You will simply never know until you try it.

The answer is always easy for those of us who are destination travelers - HAL for us, and the rest of those comparison issues simply don't matter particularly when they are  so subjective or narrow in scope .

Itineraries are black and white. But if one is looking first for  7-14 days at sea on a ship - any ship- that is where it gets harder to split hairs between various cruise lines.  

But for itinerary choices beyond the routine, that is clearly HAL's strong suit and glad to see this was highlighted. However, this can matter not one whit for many who just like to be on a ship. Which works for many, many people too. Then you start drilling down for many other qualities. 

• Like 1

I have cruised several times on Celebrity and enjoyed each cruise for different reasons.  The service was good and the low number of children was good.  It has been quite some time since I sailed on Holland America but that will change in October.  I am finding longer and different itineraries on Holland America.  I have been to all the Caribbean islands so it will be nice to go some different ports.  I know one thing I will miss on Holland America is the Yum Yum Man.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

answer is always easy for those of us who are destination travelers - HAL for us, and the rest of those comparison issues simply don't matter particularly when they are  so subjective or narrow in scope

With all due respect, there is more to consider than just itinerary for destination travelers. There is also size of ship and time in port, just to name a couple. Smaller ships means fewer passengers, which can make a big difference in ease of getting ashore, especially where there are tender ports. I’m currently on an Oceania cruise with 4 stops in Greenland. Tendering has not been an issue even if not on a ship tour.

Also, I look for a generous amount of time ashore. On a number of recent comparisons I’ve done, HAL port times are on the short side. I will be on Azamara in October in the Med - not only are there some unusual ports HAL no longer seems to offer (presumably due to no longer having small ships), but often the ship stays in port quite late. It’s not unusual for Azamara to depart at 10:00 pm and seems fairly standard to have a couple of overnights.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

With all due respect, there is more to consider than just itinerary for destination travelers. There is also size of ship and time in port, just to name a couple. Smaller ships means fewer passengers, which can make a big difference in ease of getting ashore, especially where there are tender ports. I’m currently on an Oceania cruise with 4 stops in Greenland. Tendering has not been an issue even if not on a ship tour.

Also, I look for a generous amount of time ashore. On a number of recent comparisons I’ve done, HAL port times are on the short side. I will be on Azamara in October in the Med - not only are there some unusual ports HAL no longer seems to offer (presumably due to no longer having small ships), but often the ship stays in port quite late. It’s not unusual for Azamara to depart at 10:00 pm and seems fairly standard to have a couple of overnights.

Good points. Variety of destinations and quality of time in each destination matter too. 

Size of ship and ability to access destination ports. 

11 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

The answer is always easy for those of us who are destination travelers - HAL for us, and the rest of those comparison issues simply don't matter particularly when they are  so subjective or narrow in scope .

Cruising into a port for less than half a day does not equal destination travel.  It's one notch above having a layover at the airport...

2 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Cruising into a port for less than half a day does not equal destination travel.  It's one notch above having a layover at the airport...

How many HAL ports are less than half a day?  Not something I associate with our own 650 plus day HAL experiences. But this may be a new trend. Please, more information. Thnx.

The worst new trend is larger ships required to use the more out of the way industrial ports that can accommodate them.

On 8/13/2023 at 1:40 PM, GatorMomInNC said:

I will say I don't like the entertainment on EITHER however I also don't think I have found a show on either line - or RCCL or NCL or Carnival for that matter- that I can sit through the whole thing.  Personally, other than Disney, they all pretty much are the same stuff.     Having said that, I did find the glass blowing interesting on Celebrity; the port talks interesting on HAL (not just telling you where to shop to get a kickback).  Also, HAL has some classical music venues that I didn't go to but looked interesting.

From the limited experience I have on Celebrity and HAL, I found the Celebrity ships are newer/more modern; HAL is a little more traditional.   I really like the laid back feeling of HAL - less party time, more relax time.   

The entertainment on the RCCL Oasis class is outstanding!  (Broadway shows, Aqua Theater shows, Ice Skating shows)  I have only cruised on three TA voyages on the Oasis class and was never board.  

On 8/16/2023 at 5:33 PM, CNSJ said:

When I first started sailing HAL, I was told they have classical music because many of the four/five star mariners went to high school when the classical music was being first released.....😇

Now I enjoy the 1970/80s rock from my early days....Its "Classical" Rock.

Love the classical music venue on HAL!  Also, I’m a 80’s gal and have fond memories being in high school during the time when MTV all began. 

On 8/17/2023 at 8:33 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Being Elite Plus with Celebrity & 3 Star Mariner with Holland America  .the main differences I see is in the entertainment . Celebrity has  Broadway style shows  & other music through out the ship in small groups to as little as one guitar player . .Celebrity has entertainment past midm=night .Holland America lacks Broadway  style shows  uses a dance Team repeatedly for shows & has Music Walk with the Rolling Rock Group--rock music  ,Billboard on board 2 pianos with vocalists singing more typical songs & Blues Club which has some dancing & occasionally will have a comedian .They also have a studio for arts   .This is on their Pinnacle Class ships . HAL has the Dutch Cade which is excellent 

The more I think of it they both pretty well match up fairly closely   .Then holland does have long itineraries which Celebrity generally does not .except trans Atlantics  ie 

The itineraries brings us back to HAL!  Although, we have been sailing a lot on Celebrity abroad and many TA/TP. 

Edited by whirlybird3

15 hours ago, julia said:

A person might learn from their experience or mistakes, but it is much more efficient to learn from the mistakes and experience of others.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 5:50 AM, Toofarfromthesea said:

You might find this helpful for an overview:

Thank you so much for this link.  We've cruised both lines extensively and the presentation is fair to both cruise lines.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It’s not unusual for Azamara to depart at 10:00 pm and seems fairly standard to have a couple of overnights.

I did like a late sail, but I am afraid I am in bed before 10.

21 hours ago, C 2 C said:

A person might learn from their experience or mistakes, but it is much more efficient to learn from the mistakes and experience of others.

Or to re-phrase that:  you can learn from other people's mistakes.  You haven't got time to make them all yourself.

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2023 at 11:26 AM, nextariel said:

I looked through 25 pages and did not find a topic regarding a comparison to Celebrity. We are Elite + with Celebrity and looking at an itinerary in British Isles I prefer on Holland. Any incite from those who are familiar with both lines would be appreciated. 

ship size, staterooms (we are usually Aqua or Retreat), food, beverage package, laundry, evening entertainment, spa

We are looking at doing the same cruise in 2025 on HAL. We are Elite on Celebrity and 3 Star on HAL. We are to the point in our travels that we look at itinerary first and then the cruise line. Our past 5 cruises on Celebrity have been in Sky Suites with the Retreat. Our last two HAL cruises have been in Signature Suites, which have a name with no real suite amenities.  Last year we had a SS on the Reflection from Rome followed by a 14 night cruise from Venice on the HAL Oosterdam. We love the extra amenities of the Retreat, smaller private restaurant and the lounge. Priority boarding and tendering is also nice. Overall we felt the food on the Oosterdam was superior to Celebrity and Luminae. Celebrity had better shows and bars but again overall I would rate both cruises about the same for satisfaction/

We are doing a one week cruise in November on one of the newer HAL Pinnacle class ships the Koingsdam in an Aft facing verandah cabin. We booked this with the HAL HIA promo for drinks, Wi-Fi and one night in a specialty restaurant and a $200 shore excursion credit. We also booked with the HAL Club Orange which provides breakfast and dinners in the Club Orange private restaurant with an enhanced MDR menu, we get an enhanced room service menu and priority boarding and tendering. BTW HAL doesn't not charge for room service in any cabin category. CO costs $25 pp per night to add on or $50 per cabin per night. The 3 new Pinnacle class ships all have the dedicated CO dining room. The 2025  British Isles cruise we are looking at is on one of these new ships, The New Statendam with CO dining room. 

With HAL if you book very early you can get the Early Booking promo with the HIA and get the Premium Bev package, Premium Wi-Fi and prepaid gratuities along with the other standard HIA amenities. We did this for our Volendam cruise next August which we booked with Club Orange to get priority tendering and the enhanced MDR menu in the MDR (no club orange dr). We booked this cruise for the better itinerary over Celebrity and Oceania we also booked in a Vista Suite with a balcony.

Edited by terrydtx