Celebrity vs Holland American

nextariel

I looked through 25 pages and did not find a topic regarding a comparison to Celebrity. We are Elite + with Celebrity and looking at an itinerary in British Isles I prefer on Holland. Any incite from those who are familiar with both lines would be appreciated. 

ship size, staterooms (we are usually Aqua or Retreat), food, beverage package, laundry, evening entertainment, spa

Wow!  A great deal to unpack and reply to.  

I'lll toss out a few:

HAL ships are all one class of service, with the exception of the Club Orange Add on.  You get a few more perks with Neptune Suites (includes club orange) , like a special dining room on Pinnacle class ships.

Ships size:  HAL will compare to Millennium and Solstice class ships size wise, although Solstice are 25% bigger)

Staterooms:  I find standard balcony cabins larger on HAL.

Laundry:   Include for Neptune suites, but the by the bag cost is reasonable and very good.

Food:  Will be on par with Celebrity, but I find HAL Lido Buffett better by a stretch. 

Evening Entertainment:  Adequate at best on HAL.  Not as good as Celebrity, but a British Isles cruise is about ports IMHO.

Spa:  Both lines have essentially same.

You did not ask about service.  I find service on HAL much better and consistant!

Enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 8

Just disembarked HAL Rotterdam two weeks ago and our next cruise is on Celebrity Beyond but I have sailed both lines almost exclusively.  I'll touch on a few points:

Food:  Although I liked the physical set-up of the Oceanview Cafe vs. the Lido Buffet I felt the food on HAL was somewhat better at lunch.  Their baked goods are exceptional.  

Service:  overall, service was excellent on HAL, especially at breakfast in the Lido where a server will always get you coffee and/or juice.  On the Apex, this was sorely missing in the Oceanview.  As for dinner food and service in the MDR I found that this is where HAL excels.  I had a special diet request, and our servers took it as their personal obligation to insure that my meal was as requested, always with a smile.  I am not looking forward to Anytime Dining on the Beyond.  I now know my preference is for the same set of servers at every dinner.  Cabin attendants were excellent too.

Laundry:  on HAL its amazing!  You can specify whether you want your laundry folded or on hangars or a combination of both.  It come back beautiful without any wrinkles.  On Celebrity not so much.

Entertainment:  this is where HAL really needs to improve.  First let me say, I am not a fan of Billboards and the Rolling Stones Rock Room.  I do enjoy the BB Kings performers.  Where they really need improvement is their main stage.  IMO, a video on the history of HAL IS NOT A SUITABLE evening entertainment.  Nor is 3 showings of their dance troupe performing to pre-recorded music acceptable.  No other real evening entertainment like on Celebrity.  

For right now, our recent cruise on HAL was our last unless we hear that HAL greatly improves their entertainment.

• Like 7

baggal you said it all.

nextariel you did not mention the ship

We have cruised on Celebrity for 20 years but in the last year we have sailed HAL a dozen times.

Both products are very similar but the "shows" on HAL are mediocre on a good day.

We liked the food better on HAL.  The crew are fantastic on both lines.

If this is the ship, we loved it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't compare directly: my only cruise booked on Celebrity never took place, because of some pandemic or other.

My impression was that Celebrity offered some amenities that might be welcome on a trans-ocean cruise (my booking was TPAC) but not so much with a port-intensive itinerary. I wasn't totally comfortable with the idea of class stratification on Celebrity, but since the cruise was cancelled, I don't know whether my concern was realistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread/these breakdowns of food, service, etc are so helpful- thank you! We’ve sailed Celebrity and Cunard recently but just booked with HAL, a line I last sailed in 2006, because of scheduling and convenience factors. I’ve been trying to find comparisons so we know what we can expect and this is the first I’ve seen for post-covid comparisons. 

Edited by SybilUnrest

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Article written January 7, 2020 - not updated since then.

This is very outdated on the Celebrity side. I am surprised to see newer HA ships with "kids" programming and family rooms. I thought HA was senior citizens and no or very few children. 

I’ve sailed with both lines post pandemic. I prefer Celebrity ship decor to HAL (note I have not sailed the newest/largest ship in each line, I prefer smaller).

I also prefer Celebrity food, especially comparing the main dining room head to head. HAL food quality isn’t much different, but the style of preparation and presentation is nicer on X, imo. I don’t eat much in the buffet.

HAL entertainment doesn’t have enough depth of offerings, and daytime activities are slim.

HAL’s big bonus for me is itinerary. If I could sail HAL itineraries on Celebrity ships, I’d be a happy camper.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Here are some recent comparison threads. Search for “celebrity” within the thread title and you will find quite a few. Welcome to the Holland America board!

This has been great information. 

• Like 1

We used to cruise HAL at least once a year, but decided we were tired of all the cut-backs, awful entertainment, and the ship being dead by 10 pm.  We decided to try Celebrity and have not been back on HAL.

For us, the newer Celebrity ships are nicer, entertainment options that last past midnight, larger portions at dinner (with better free food options), and better Caribbean itineraries have us choosing Celebrity.

Celebrity is going to be more money.  It has been on  every cruise we have compared to HAL.  To us, the Celebrity has better value for our cruise vacation.  For example, we are tired to going to the same ports on HAL's eastern Carribean itineraries.  Half Moon Cay is nice, but the short port hours make the stop almost worthless.

Celebrity, in general, also draws a younger, more active, customers.  This means fun activities like 70's night and silent disco along with pool music.  For example, the Sunset Bar on the Celebrity ships, with its live music throughout the day and evening, is a fun place to relax and have a drink.

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I’ve sailed with both lines post pandemic. I prefer Celebrity ship decor to HAL (note I have not sailed the newest/largest ship in each line, I prefer smaller).

I also prefer Celebrity food, especially comparing the main dining room head to head. HAL food quality isn’t much different, but the style of preparation and presentation is nicer on X, imo. I don’t eat much in the buffet.

HAL entertainment doesn’t have enough depth of offerings, and daytime activities are slim.

HAL’s big bonus for me is itinerary. If I could sail HAL itineraries on Celebrity ships, I’d be a happy camper.

I pretty much agree having sailed an equal number of times on each but have not cruised on X post COVID.

No more production shows or ship band on HAL but I really didn't miss the shows.

It's usually the HAL itineraries that win out.

• Like 1

I like both lines.  The itineraries win hands down on HAL but the entertainment is better on Celebrity.  They both have pros and cons, but in reality, I don't think you can go wrong with either line.  I've always been a big fan of the stage shows while cruising and HAL has basically taken them away, but for a person that never cared about stage shows anyway, it won't make a difference.  It's really about what is or isn't important to you about cruising.  But as I said, the itineraries which are also very important to me, have me booking the next cruise in Feb on HAL.  Both of these lines are a notch above many of the others out there.  Bon Voyage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I book a cruise based on 2 factors...the ports and dates of cruise.

Was on X transatlantic in April, was on 3 HAL cruises in 2022 and will be back on HAL  (Westerdam) next month.

I have likes and dislikes on each.

For HAL I like that, so far, there is not a fee for normal room, service, at least comparing 2022 to 2023, the food choices in the MDR were better (IMO) on HAL. In general I prefer HAL's itineraries. Prefer smaller ships so have not sailed on any Pinnacle class hjip.

I dislike that HAL will charge me corkage for all wine bring aboard while X will allow a couple of bottles with no charge so log as I confine my drinking of them to my cabin.

For X, as I said, I like wine policy. From breakfast and lunch I felt the OVC had a better selection and quality than the HAL buffet.

My main gripe with X was the worst wine selection for the Basic Drink Package. Even tje premium package was ( IMHO)) barely adequate. X gets a Wine Spectator award for the wine list, but that does not include the drink packages. HAL, at least in 2022, had decent wines by the glass in the basic package.

Bottom line, I will gladly sail with either. It will just depend on where and when.

• Like 4

Celebrity has better shows, activities, decor, and innovation.  MDR food is slightly better, if the ship is properly stocked.  HAL still wins on food when you compare MDR breakfast, buffet, and poolside options.  HAL has better prices, itineraries, live music, cabins, and staff moral.

• Like 1

I will say I don't like the entertainment on EITHER however I also don't think I have found a show on either line - or RCCL or NCL or Carnival for that matter- that I can sit through the whole thing.  Personally, other than Disney, they all pretty much are the same stuff.     Having said that, I did find the glass blowing interesting on Celebrity; the port talks interesting on HAL (not just telling you where to shop to get a kickback).  Also, HAL has some classical music venues that I didn't go to but looked interesting.

From the limited experience I have on Celebrity and HAL, I found the Celebrity ships are newer/more modern; HAL is a little more traditional.   I really like the laid back feeling of HAL - less party time, more relax time.   

• Like 1

We alternated between the two for about 15 years. DH liked the suite benefits on Celebrity and I liked the relaxation and peaceful atmosphere on more traditional HAL ships.

Celebrity’s infinite veranda concept did not appeal to us at all, and the Edge-class ships seemed focused on trendy style over comfort. With multiple Caribbean cruises from 3 to 6 days in length, X is clearly aiming at attracting younger passengers  Friends we used to cruise on X with have migrated to Azamara.

People have great vacations on either line but we no longer book X and feel most at home on HAL. 

On 8/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

We alternated between the two for about 15 years. DH liked the suite benefits on Celebrity and I liked the relaxation and peaceful atmosphere on more traditional HAL ships.

Celebrity’s infinite veranda concept did not appeal to us at all, and the Edge-class ships seemed focused on trendy style over comfort. With multiple Caribbean cruises from 3 to 6 days in length, X is clearly aiming at attracting younger passengers  Friends we used to cruise on X with have migrated to Azamara.

People have great vacations on either line but we no longer book X and feel most at home on HAL. 

I agree with your assessment. We recently sailed on the Rotterdam 14 day Norwegian Fjords cruise from Amsterdam and found the ship, service, food, and music venues to be superior to our post pandemic cruises on Celebrity Eclipse and Apex. Your thoughts on infinite verandas and Edge class ships is spot on. We were really turned off by the Apex. Now we understand that Celebrity feels they need to re imagine themselves in order to attract future cruise age demographics. Ok, so  be it! 

Our experience on recent Celebrity Cruises found the food and service was lacking, therefore our venture cruising on Holland America seemed well founded. Our focus is now directed towards Holland America and we will forgo our Elite status on Celebrity in order to sail on Pinnacle Class ships!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

HAL no longer has classical musicians regularly aboard ships, unfortunately.

Oh too bad.  There was some sort of venue on the Noordam with classical music on my cruise in February.  Is it just on longer cruises (this was 2 weeks)? I am going again in a couple weeks and I was going to actually try and go this time but my next cruise is only 7 nights. 

On 8/15/2023 at 8:43 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

Oh too bad.  There was some sort of venue on the Noordam with classical music on my cruise in February.  Is it just on longer cruises (this was 2 weeks)? I am going again in a couple weeks and I was going to actually try and go this time but my next cruise is only 7 nights. 

I think classical music is coming back but I don't know if it's in the main theatre or elsewhere.

• Like 2

When I first started sailing HAL, I was told they have classical music because many of the four/five star mariners went to high school when the classical music was being first released.....😇

Now I enjoy the 1970/80s rock from my early days....Its "Classical" Rock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1