Dominican Republic Day Pass Question......

Moonglo

I  am arriving via the NCL getaway in Puerto Plata (Im guessing Amber Cove) and I am looking to book an all-inclusive resort day pass. The one offered by NCL is Emotion by Hodelpa Puerto Plata is 169 per person but I do see if I go independently there are two other resorts that look equally interesting. One is Viva Wyndham V heaven, which includes drinks, food $60 per person and the other is playa Bachata spa and resort. I don’t have a price on that one as of yet. 
I’m curious if any other cruisers have went to any of the above resorts mentioned and how was your experience there? We dock at 7 am a most resorts don’t open for day pass till 10 am…so at best we’ll have  3 1/2 hrs till we need to depart back to the port.
Just looking to hear about other people’s experiences……thank you.

p.s. I am aware there is a forum for Dominican Republic questions...but it appears many posted questions that go there are left unanswered. Im hoping to have better luck here.  

Thanks everyone....

27 minutes ago, Moonglo said:

(Im guessing Amber Cove)

If your itinerary says that's where you're going then it may well be happening, but NCL should be using Taino Bay when the itinerary is not specific as that is actually their port (Amber Cove is Carnival's port, they built it).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Moonglo said:

I  am arriving via the NCL getaway in Puerto Plata (Im guessing Amber Cove) and I am looking to book an all-inclusive resort day pass. The one offered by NCL is Emotion by Hodelpa Puerto Plata is 169 per person but I do see if I go independently there are two other resorts that look equally interesting. One is Viva Wyndham V heaven, which includes drinks, food $60 per person and the other is playa Bachata spa and resort. I don’t have a price on that one as of yet. 
I’m curious if any other cruisers have went to any of the above resorts mentioned and how was your experience there? We dock at 7 am a most resorts don’t open for day pass till 10 am…so at best we’ll have  3 1/2 hrs till we need to depart back to the port.

p.s. I am aware there is a forum for Dominican Republic questions...but it appears many posted questions that go there are left unanswered. Im hoping to have better luck here.  

Thanks everyone....

Every time we have visited Taino Bay, we have only gone to Coconut Cove.

We have watched YouTubes of Emotions and while the location look scenic, the facilities to stretch out on loungers

and the beach seemed limited to non existent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonglo said:

am arriving via the NCL getaway in Puerto Plata (Im guessing Amber Cove)

Why are you guessing that?  As noted above, NCL has resumed docking at Taino Bay. And if that’s where you dock, and you’d only have a few hours at a resort, why not take advantage of more time at Taino Bay itself? 

• Like 1

I was guessing based the itinerary listed on the printout by NCL that says Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata....but  regardless of my starting point......I was curious if anyone had a recent experience with local day pass at a resort.  Im in the figuring out stage as to what we want to do beyond the port. We will of course check out what Taino has to offer. I'm looking at youtube video's of it at present and it looks really nice. Have you been to Taino?

2 hours ago, hallux said:

If your itinerary says that's where you're going then it may well be happening, but NCL should be using Taino Bay when the itinerary is not specific as that is actually their port (Amber Cove is Carnival's port, they built it).

Thank you.....its appreciated.

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2023 at 11:29 AM, Moonglo said:

Thanks everyone....

did you go on your cruise yet, and did you go to Emotion?  I'm stopping in Puerto Plata in January and I'm looking at this excursion.

On 8/13/2023 at 12:27 PM, BirdTravels said:

Every time we have visited Taino Bay, we have only gone to Coconut Cove.

We have watched YouTubes of Emotions and while the location look scenic, the facilities to stretch out on loungers

and the beach seemed limited to non existent. 

Hi @BirdTravels.  How have you liked coconut Cove?  Are drinks included?  Apologies if two months is too old of a thread to respond to

13 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

did you go on your cruise yet, and did you go to Emotion?  I'm stopping in Puerto Plata in January and I'm looking at this excursion.

Hi there....no we do not go on our cruise until February. But since I last posted I've decided to book with NCL excursion called "Puerto Plata Highlights and Beach Escape. So, we will get to see a few touristy sights and a popular beach and have a little time left to enjoy and shop a bit at the port. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 1:03 PM, Turtles06 said:

Why are you guessing that?  As noted above, NCL has resumed docking at Taino Bay. And if that’s where you dock, and you’d only have a few hours at a resort, why not take advantage of more time at Taino Bay itself? 

Maybe because the NCL says this for the Puerto Plata port under the Ports section. Yes, it's confusing...

• Port Name & Location
    Amber Cove Cruise Terminal. Ship will DOCK at this port.
Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Hi @BirdTravels.  How have you liked coconut Cove?  Are drinks included?  Apologies if two months is too old of a thread to respond to

We've been there 3 times. I don't mind it,,,, it's a cheap beach day. 

But,,, it is a long drive over unpaved roads. It bothers some, but for us, it is part of the "personality" of the port. A simple beach buffet lunch is provided. Basic drinks are included (fancier drinks cost $$$). 

image.png.0972ba2e0294b4f25ad8e33f8730e4f3.png

image.png.ed928fa49b5c2ed64a662f458ad3d8aa.png

image.png.3a583949cca448ecfc638dc52bbc9640.png

image.png.dc89dd8230d15a28e8f16f5aca4a88fa.png

BBQ Chicken and Ribs with rice and salads. Fresh fruit (coconut and papaya below)

image.png.9793893e6eac90443a41e89b8118e72c.png

Extra $$$

image.png.0b6933bce1e3ebab8908c9cf05a999ee.png

image.png.c4f7b491984a670840820b316fb4571f.png

image.png.694d40f9c101f06702ca5ea6305880fe.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2