Just got an email outlining the "NEW" offerings

canadarocks

15 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I don't communicate much with crew, only our server in the MDR and the bartenders at Good Spirits.  Like I previously said, if it's indeed true, it's not too difficult to take a picture and post it on the thread.

A picture of what? What picture would prove that crew told them both parties must choose prixe fixe or a la carte?

I took a few days off from this thread but I'm glad I came back...it's gotten so much more entertaining 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Been on two of their newer ships.  Spent 14 nights on the Discovery and another 14 on the Majestic.  I didn't mention grilled meats at night since we never eat in the buffet for dinner. I did mention that X had it available for lunch, while this is a short coming of Princess.  I did compare my 28 days on the Royal Class with 19 days on the Edge Class of X, and when it comes to lunch buffet choices, it's my opinion that X blows the doors off of Princess.

I was only talking about lunch time options on Princess versus their competition.  According to some it could be blasphemous to say, but Carnival has the most varied lunch time options versus all of the main stream cruise lines.

As for variety and cook to order, I'm going to put Virgin in the mix. I know it's not buffet, but it IS variety and it IS cooked to order.

(Yes, I know, I just grabbed that big ole spoon and stirred the pot; I'll exit stage left now😄)💕

The Countess

16 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

True, but if they wish to keep up with the Joneses they should know what X and HAL are serving.  But maybe they expect their loyal customers to keep blinders on and not know what their competitors are serving.  

The Alfredogate snafu could cause many to jump ship as many have stated on the boards.

They may be stating that but all of my future cruises look to be very heavily booked

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

The humorous aspect is that you are telling people about a feature on cruise ships that you admit in your posts you seldom use.  Yet you basically told people on one post that people on Princess did not understand how much better buffets on other ships are, quoting your experience on two ships on Princess. Then you stated that you did not use it in the evenings. Went to  at lunch twice. Then in another post point out that you have only gone to a buffet for dinner a handful of times of out of all of your cruise.

That is what is too funny.

I guess I will tell people what cabins they should book based upon what I can see walking past an open door.

All you need to do is visit the buffet once on a cruise ship to make a determination as to how good or bad it is and to compare it to other ships that you have previously sailed on.  We have been on the Discovery and the Majestic and the buffet at lunch is a joke in our opinion on both ships.  Just because we seldom went there doesn't mean that we can't inform an opinion as to how good or bad it is compared to the 37 other ships we have sailed on outside of Princess.  Certainly don't think that the lunch buffet is going to be that much better on any of the older ships in the fleet.

We're not loyal to any one cruise line and I tell it like it is.  The buffet on the Edge and Apex on X is much better, once again at lunch.  We don't go to the buffet for dinner, that's what sit down establishments are for.  Out of 55 cruises on 39 different ships I can count on one hand how many times we have gone.  Once again, there could be a major upgrade in what is offered at dinner time versus lunchtime, but I could care less since I will be not be going there for dinner.  It's similar to the teetotaler not caring what types of Chardonnay are on board since they will not be drinking any.

I'm glad you thought my opinion was funny concerning zero cooked to order options at lunch, whether it be an italian stir fry or asian stir fry or grilled meats,  but what is really funny is that Princess considers themselves an upgraded cruise line versus the 3 entry level lines and in my opinion the lunch time offerings are better on NCL and Carnival.  Carnival has Blue Iguana Cantina, Big Chicken, Guy's Burgers, Street Eats, Guy's Pig n Anchor, Deli as a half dozen included take away places and Cucina del Capitano and Chibang as two sit down options for lunch that are all included in your fare.  The best take away on Princess was the Noodle Bowl Bar on the Majestic.

But I will say because of the Plus package and the value it presents to us, Princess is our new cruise line of choice.  That's why we currently have 7 future cruises booked on the Royal and Sphere Class ships.

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

As for variety and cook to order, I'm going to put Virgin in the mix. I know it's not buffet, but it IS variety and it IS cooked to order.

(Yes, I know, I just grabbed that big ole spoon and stirred the pot; I'll exit stage left now😄)💕

The Countess

Another cruise line that has better lunch time options than Princess.

34 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I'd estimate no more than about 20 have said this will cause them to jump ship from Princess.  I'm not sure that will have corporate very worried.

I agree.  The majority of the basic fare people that are upset about the changes with room service, ocean now and Alfredo's are mainly blowing air and they will remain loyal. 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

They may be stating that but all of my future cruises look to be very heavily booked

The industry is on the uptick at this point, so I guess the only way to figure things out would be if all of a sudden there are many cancellations from those that have not yet made final payment.  I would expect it to be a low number though.

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

I guess I will tell people what cabins they should book based upon what I can see walking past an open door.

I was making my comparison based upon actually eating the food at the Princess buffet compared to what I had on other ships, not only looking at the offerings, but if I was able to get a cooked to order protein on X for lunch and after walking around the entire buffet on Princess I discover they have no grilled options, then I know what my limited choices are.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I was making my comparison based upon actually eating the food at the Princess buffet compared to what I had on other ships, not only looking at the offerings, but if I was able to get a cooked to order protein on X for lunch and after walking around the entire buffet on Princess I discover they have no grilled options, then I know what my limited choices are.

Just as when you first started posting in the stream about the Sun you were telling long time Princess passengers that they should embrace the changes Princess was making, even though at that time you had just booked your Discovery cruise and had not set foot on a Princess Cruise.

Obvious from your post about the buffet on the Majestic that you were not even fully aware of all of the offerings ( your comment about not seeing any pizza for example during lunch)

Actually eating a small number of times and never for dinner based upon your posts.

too funny.

All you need to do is visit the buffet once on a cruise ship to make a determination as to how good or bad it is and to compare it to other ships that you have previously sailed on.  We have been on the Discovery and the Majestic and the buffet at lunch is a joke in our opinion on both ships.  Just because we seldom went there doesn't mean that we can't inform an opinion as to how good or bad it is compared to the 37 other ships we have sailed on outside of Princess.  Certainly don't think that the lunch buffet is going to be that much better on any of the older ships in the fleet.

We're not loyal to any one cruise line and I tell it like it is.  The buffet on the Edge and Apex on X is much better, once again at lunch.  We don't go to the buffet for dinner, that's what sit down establishments are for.  Out of 55 cruises on 39 different ships I can count on one hand how many times we have gone.  Once again, there could be a major upgrade in what is offered at dinner time versus lunchtime, but I could care less since I will be not be going there for dinner.  It's similar to the teetotaler not caring what types of Chardonnay are on board since they will not be drinking any.

I'm glad you thought my opinion was funny concerning zero cooked to order options at lunch, whether it be an italian stir fry or asian stir fry or grilled meats,  but what is really funny is that Princess considers themselves an upgraded cruise line versus the 3 entry level lines and in my opinion the lunch time offerings are better on NCL and Carnival.  Carnival has Blue Iguana Cantina, Big Chicken, Guy's Burgers, Street Eats, Guy's Pig n Anchor, Deli as a half dozen included take away places and Cucina del Capitano and Chibang as two sit down options for lunch that are all included in your fare.  The best take away on Princess was the Noodle Bowl Bar on the Majestic.

But I will say because of the Plus package and the value it presents to us, Princess is our new cruise line of choice.  That's why we currently have 7 future cruises booked on the Royal and Sphere Class ships.

I am also not loyal to Princess since I cruise more on other lines but it seem to like lecturing others on things about Princess with pretty limited experience in actually using those features is pretty hilarious.

So you base the entire choice on grilled options, not on the quality of everything else.  Based on your statements most likely did not try much of anything else.

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

The Countess

Certainly there are some very good buffets out there. Oceania has an outstanding one. better than the main stream lines MDRs in my opinion.

My comments was not if there are better ones out there. Especially at the higher price point of the premium lines.

It was mostly about the comments made about Princess passengers not knowing what is out there by a person that by admission does not actually eat in the buffet for dinner on any line. And in a 14 day cruise only tried the buffet twice.

32 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Just as when you first started posting in the stream about the Sun you were telling long time Princess passengers that they should embrace the changes Princess was making, even though at that time you had just booked your Discovery cruise and had not set foot on a Princess Cruise.

Obvious from your post about the buffet on the Majestic that you were not even fully aware of all of the offerings ( your comment about not seeing any pizza for example during lunch)

Actually eating a small number of times and never for dinner based upon your posts.

too funny.

Keep laughing, Princess buffet still s*cks for lunch.  Once again, only have to eat there once at lunchtime to know how things are.  And if the Discovery doesn't offer grilled items at lunch, why would any of the older ships offer it?

Easy way to fix things though, we'll just pony up money to eat at Gigi's.

Another cruise line that has better lunch time options than Princess.

That wasn't the point; Virgin also has better options than Celebrity and Carnival, as they have NO buffet and it is all cooked to order, if we're going there, and it appears that we are going there.

The Countess

• Like 1

I am also not loyal to Princess since I cruise more on other lines but it seem to like lecturing others on things about Princess with pretty limited experience in actually using those features is pretty hilarious.

Like I've said, whether you have eaten at the buffet once or 100 times, you still know that what they offer is inferior to what you can get at X. 

So you base the entire choice on grilled options, not on the quality of everything else.  Based on your statements most likely did not try much of anything else.

I hate buffets in general.  Like things cooked to order.  If I go at breakfast, I'll get a cooked to order omelette  I obviously tried a few of the buffet offerings on both the Discovery as well as the Majestic. But, ended up getting the great Noodle Bowl offerings on the Majestic instead.

It was the only thing that we really disliked about either ship.  The MDR, Alfredo's/Gigi's, the IC, Good Spirits all were great.  But this one downfall has not deterred us from cruising on Princess.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ldtr said:

It was mostly about the comments made about Princess passengers not knowing what is out there by a person that by admission does not actually eat in the buffet for dinner on any line. And in a 14 day cruise only tried the buffet twice.

We keep going round and round on this topic, yet you keep bringing up the buffet at dinner and my entire gripe was not about dinner but the LUNCHTIME offerings. And if I went twice or 14 days, it would not matter.   I was making a direct correlation between the lunchtime offerings on Princess versus X and even mentioning Carnival, since their variety of lunch offerings can't be touched by any of the mainstream cruise lines.  Possibly Virgin, but we have never sailed on them.

14 minutes ago, jwattle said:

That wasn't the point; Virgin also has better options than Celebrity and Carnival, as they have NO buffet and it is all cooked to order, if we're going there, and it appears that we are going there.

The Countess

Everybody has an opinion and I don't know if you can get a filet or lamb chops cooked to order on Virgin or not.  If you can, great, but I'll never get the opportunity since Virgin is not our cup of tea from the various YouTube videos that I have seen of their offerings.

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

We keep going round and round on this topic, yet you keep bringing up the buffet at dinner and my entire gripe was not about dinner but the LUNCHTIME offerings. And if I went twice or 14 days, it would not matter.   I was making a direct correlation between the lunchtime offerings on Princess versus X and even mentioning Carnival, since their variety of lunch offerings can't be touched by any of the mainstream cruise lines.  Possibly Virgin, but we have never sailed on them.

in your opinion

However you still seem to be telling Princess cruisers that like the buffet that it is because they do not understand what other lines offer.

No attempt to even look at the variety, the prep of ethic foods ( the adobo for example is very good). Or for that matter even try many of them 

No people may know and understand very well what other lines offer. They just has different views compared to you.

Because maybe they value the variety, the ethnic dishes, like curry, etc.

But according to your posts they must only like it because they do not under stand what other lines offer. After all you must be the expert with the little you have actually tried them

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Keep laughing, Princess buffet still s*cks for lunch.  Once again, only have to eat there once at lunchtime to know how things are.  And if the Discovery doesn't offer grilled items at lunch, why would any of the older ships offer it?

Easy way to fix things though, we'll just pony up money to eat at Gigi's.

Maybe they offer what Princess cruisers have actually liked, accompanied to someone new to the line talking about how Princess is their new favorite complaining how bad it is.

Too funny.

You come to Princess then want to change it to the lines you left.