Checking in without the app

On all of our previous RC cruises (as recently as June), on day 45 we would get a checkin message that included "if not using the app, click here to complete checkin".  It was easily done on my laptop.

Now the message says "if not using the app, print this page (contains only our names) and go to the terminal where an agent will check you in".  What?  No way to select an arrival time (which is checked at Baltimore terminal), nor to print boarding passes and luggage tags?

RC says "check back later".  We are now at 30 days.

??

Edited by shipgeeks
add

1 minute ago, shipgeeks said:

We don't use the app because we don't use a smartphone.

You may want to give the browser a try on a different device or clear cache/cookies on your existing one. Otherwise, you'll need to keep trying every few days. No problem if you never get to check in - the porters will have tags to affix to your luggage and the staff will likely let you check in when you arrive without any check in time.

4 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We don't use the app because we don't use a smartphone.

That's going to start becoming more and more problematic for a lot of things.  Alaska Airlines now only uses the digital boarding passes, no machines at the airport that spit out a paper one either. They are a fairly large carrier, especially in the west.  I'm guessing other airlines will be making this move as well, and sounds like cruises are doing the same.  Perhaps you can call Royal and see if there's an option for them to check you in over the phone.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Now the message says "if not using the app, print this page (contains only our names) and go to the terminal where an agent will check you in".  What?  No way to select an arrival time (which is checked at Baltimore terminal), nor to print boarding passes and luggage tags?

??

Are you saying that you logged into your account on the website using a computer and there was no link in the reservation to begin check in?  Or there was a link but it only allowed you to print the page of names? 

36 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

On all of our previous RC cruises (as recently as June), on day 45 we would get a checkin message that included "if not using the app, click here to complete checkin".  It was easily done on my laptop.

??

I didn't get an email from Royal at the 45 day mark, but I was still able to check in via their web site. I wasn't able to print luggage tags for another several weeks. When you log into your account on the web site, does it say "Check-in unavailable"? If so, that's unusual at 30 days out.

I too use my computer to do the check-in. On my upcoming cruise this end of August at exactly 45 days out I logged in to my account opened the particular sailing and check in was available. Did my check in got to pick check in time, set up account etc. Cruise Documents became available exactly 30 days out at which time I printed my bag tags off the last page. 

I do have the app but have not used it to date. Will use it on the day for health info and safety drill viewing and confirmation of same.

Its so strange how common it is with RCL some basic things work for some and not for others. Hopefully one day there IT department gets all its ducks in a row. 

I always use the website to check in, since I can easily upload the security photo I keep stored on my laptop.  Just login to your account, and go to the Olán my cruise page.  It will give you an option to check in.  That also looks you to print a hard copy of your set sail pass.  

Plan my cruise?  I just tried that, but still no option to check in without the app; however, today all our documents appeared, ready to print. The only thing we don't have is a checkin time.

Edited by shipgeeks
spelling