Princess Plus worth the money?

nursemom23

20 minutes ago, 58Piano said:

I have not cruised in years. I have no idea what" oceans now" is.? Never used "Medallion"? Do you have to wear that device? Last time all we had was a cruise card on a lanyard on our neck. Can we still do that? Why pay anything extra for a meal? Buffet free, dining room free, pizza free, international cafe free.  We do not drink alcohol. Maybe a few sodas

The medallion takes the place of the cruise card. You can wear the medallion on lanyard  around your neck just like the card. That's what we do. Some buy accessories so they can wear it like a watch, some buy pretty neck chains, some buy key chain type accesdories, etc., for their madallions. We just use the free lanyard. And we are like you in that we seldom pay extra for food or drink. So much is included. This is the medallion & lanyard. Medallion is about the size of a quarter, maybe slightly smaller. 

20230831_133025.jpg

Edited by 1965
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, 58Piano said:

I have not cruised in years. I have no idea what" oceans now" is.? Never used "Medallion"? Do you have to wear that device? Last time all we had was a cruise card on a lanyard on our neck. Can we still do that? Why pay anything extra for a meal? Buffet free, dining room free, pizza free, international cafe free.  We do not drink alcohol. Maybe a few sodas

I just keep my Medallion in my pocket. No need to take it out to unlock the cabin door as it happens automagically when I approach. If you aren't buying anything the only time you will need to take it out of your pocket is when you get on and off the ship and when you "check in" at the muster area. Can't imagine why I would want to use a card instead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I just keep my Medallion in my pocket. No need to take it out to unlock the cabin door as it happens automagically when I approach. If you aren't buying anything the only time you will need to take it out of your pocket is when you get on and off the ship and when you "check in" at the muster area. Can't imagine why I would want to use a card instead.

so, since this thread is about PLUS ... did you?

38 minutes ago, 58Piano said:

Lots of talk on this question about alcohol. I said I do not drink. So is this plus worth it. How much is gratituties per person a day? How much is just a soda only package? I dont need this medallion. Just a cruise card given onboard

The plus package is 60 bucks.  The gratuities are built in and they are 16.  So if you factor out the gratuities, you're at 44 per day.  If you don't buy wifi and you don't drink alcohol, then don't buy it.  If you do buy wifi, that's 15 per day.  Taking that off of the 44 leaves you with 29.  You get two 15.00 credits at Alfredo's worth 4.00 a day over a 7 day cruise, so you then are down to 25.  So you would have to spend 25 a day on soda, specialty coffees, mocktails and bottled water to make it worthwhile.  Even teetotalers have said it's worth it.  YMMV

48 minutes ago, 58Piano said:

Lots of talk on this question about alcohol. I said I do not drink. So is this plus worth it. How much is gratituties per person a day? How much is just a soda only package? I dont need this medallion. Just a cruise card given onboard

Depends on how you value the drinks.  Wifi and tips come to about $31, so if you drink $29 a day of value to you, then it's probably worth it.  We do not get it.  We do not drink alcohol, so I bring on water/soda that we drink, you can do this if you want to deal with packing it in your suitcase or bringing on at ports.  I figure for a 7 day cruise I spend less than 1/2 what Plus would cost simply by bringing my own drinks with me and not paying the inflated prices onboard.  But ultimately, that is a personal decision for each cruiser.  

9 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The plus package is 60 bucks.  The gratuities are built in and they are 16.  So if you factor out the gratuities, you're at 44 per day.  If you don't buy wifi and you don't drink alcohol, then don't buy it.  If you do buy wifi, that's 15 per day.  Taking that off of the 44 leaves you with 29.  You get two 15.00 credits at Alfredo's worth 4.00 a day over a 7 day cruise, so you then are down to 25.  So you would have to spend 25 a day on soda, specialty coffees, mocktails and bottled water to make it worthwhile.  Even teetotalers have said it's worth it.  YMMV

If you just want sodas and mocktails, you could buy the Classic Soda Package for $17.69 per day, leaving you with $7. However, if you also wanted specialty coffees, the Zero-Alcohol Drink Package would cost $35.39 per day. So you would be better off with Plus fare even without any alcohol.

42 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so, since this thread is about PLUS ... did you?

Not yet. Still "on the fence" but considering buying more Princess cards from AARP to finance Plus on the first 24 day segment. The last 32 days have Plus so that would only leave 2 day and 5 day segments in the middle without Plus and, in theory at least, we should get an Elite mini bar for each of those segments and can always purchase a bottle or two of wine in Sydney. 😉

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2