Alternatives to Celebrity

Islander500

5 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

This thread has certainly been enlightening.  It's kicked me into researching several other lines to see what folks have to say about how well they handle gluten-free for all meals plus room service.  Some look very promising and I've taken a leap of faith and booked two.  Haven't been on HAL in decades (3-star but last cruise was Zaandam in 2002) but I'll be doing a deep dive today to see what might work. 

Very, very useful thread indeed.  Thanks OP, Islander500. 🤗

I’m in the same boat as you with gluten free. Although I think Celebrity does GF really well, I’ve jumped ship so to speak with HAL.

My research shows that they handle it pretty well, although the food at the buffet isn’t labelled unlike the OVC. Staff will guide you through what’s safe, but it’s not quite as easy as simply reading an allergen label on each dish. 
I have sent an email to HAL  asking if they plan to introduce allergen labelling as its now common practice worldwide. I’d be interested in reading what you find out with other lines. 
Without this thread I may have stayed blinkered for a while longer.

• Thanks 1

Boatharbour’s post above emphasizes that we all need to pick an alternative line that fits our special needs and wants. Those differ from person to person. The thing is here, Celebrity wasn’t fitting any of these for many, due to the fact that their fares are higher than competition. I respect those who need gluten free food, as my daughter and several friends do. But on several of the lines mentioned in this thread, you may never visit the buffet. The sit down restaurants are too good. So another question might be, do the restaurant menus label gluten free selections? This daughter was with us on our Regent Explorer Alaska cruise last June, and gluten free selections were noted in all restaurant menus. Don’t know about the buffet, as we never ate there.

Edited by Dolebludger

Wow.  I am surprised at the people trying other lines.  Some of whom I never thought would...

We just booked a cruise on AMA Waterways.  Yes I know that it is a river cruise,  but it hits many of the things that we like about ocean cruising.  The thing that we noticed right aways is that there is not a bunch of add on fees.  The only one that we are aware of is that they recommended tipping for certain staff.  The staff do get the money directly and you know whom is getting it and how much as you hand it to them.  We were surprised that the bus to the airport was included also.  I can live with all inclusive being truly all inclusive....

• Like 1

I agree 100% with all inclusive. And I don’t agree that a 20% tip should be added to the price when I am handed a cookie I bought. That is a simple retail transaction that historically is non-tipped. And the cookie should have been included in the first place. We haven’t taken any cruises in this century (ocean or river) that are less than all inclusive. I mean totally. Because when you are on a cruise, you are in a monopoly. If you don’t like the price of things on land, you can’t just walk down the street where prices are better. Celebrity used to offer all inclusive, non-inclusive, and steps in between. You could book any degree of inclusiveness you wanted. Of course, the more inclusiveness you booked, the higher price you paid, naturally. But now, the prices on Celebrity for semi— all inclusive are higher than on lines that offer full all inclusive. That’s why people are leaving Celebrity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Boatharbour’s post above emphasizes that we all need to pick an alternative line that fits our special needs and wants. Those differ from person to person. The thing is here, Celebrity wasn’t fitting any of these for many, due to the fact that their fares are higher than competition. I respect those who need gluten free food, as my daughter and several friends do. But on several of the lines mentioned in this thread, you may never visit the buffet. The sit down restaurants are too good. So another question might be, do the restaurant menus label gluten free selections? This daughter was with us on our Regent Explorer Alaska cruise last June, and gluten free selections were noted in all restaurant menus. Don’t know about the buffet, as we never ate there.

Sorry I should have clarified that Celebrity identifies four of the most common allergens, not only at the buffet but also at other dining areas. This can benefit a significant number of passengers.

There were some lapses in the specialty restaurants and daily specials in the MDR but overall it was handled well. 

GF restrictions are fairly new for me and I dislike making a fuss by having to ask staff for guidance at every meal. Listing allergens is so common world wide I’m surprised HAL doesn’t do it.

Despite this we’re motivated enough by all the changes to give HAL a go. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Stay tuned we are taking our FIRST non-Celebrity cruise 12 days from today.  I will probably be a Live Post Comparison and will fire it up in about a week from now.

Like many of you, I guess I qualified as a "Loyal" Celebrity cruiser as we have not ever sailed another line in 23 years.   Like many when too many things change in a relationship it is time for either a separation or a divorce.  We will be hitting Double Zenith soon and to tell you the truth not excited about it (Except for the free Aqua Class Cruise). 

We have also been looking around and so far Seabourn, Azamara and Silverseas is popping to the top of our research list.

Enjoying everyone perspective as many of us have different priorities.   Our main priority are longer cruises (14+ days) and NON-Caribbean itineraries.  Bermuda an RCL/Celebrity Island are definitely not of interest. 

Jim,

This should be a wake up call for Celebrity.  I hope they are reading this.  We are trying other lines although we have been loyal Retreat cruisers (and E+),  but you are Double Zenith so as loyal to them as it gets.  And you are trying another line for the first time.  That says something to a lot of us here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Jim,

This should be a wake up call for Celebrity.  I hope they are reading this.  We are trying other lines although we have been loyal Retreat cruisers (and E+),  but you are Double Zenith so as loyal to them as it gets.  And you are trying another line for the first time.  That says something to a lot of us here.

As long as the ships are sailing full, I don't think Celebrity really cares if the person in the cabin is a first time cruiser or Double Zenith.  I'm not sure if most of the people currently sailing are paying current very high fares or they booked a long time ago.  It will be interesting to see if the demand continues at the current levels in about a year or so.

• Like 1

“Our mainpriority are longer cruises (14+ days) and NON-Caribbean itineraries.  Bermuda an RCL/Celebrity Island are definitely not of interest. “ 

I believe is with be the main reason for us to look at other cruise lines for future cruises 

I would also add in Nassau into the list of ports to miss 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Wow.  I am surprised at the people trying other lines.  Some of whom I never thought would...

We just booked a cruise on AMA Waterways.  Yes I know that it is a river cruise,  but it hits many of the things that we like about ocean cruising.  The thing that we noticed right aways is that there is not a bunch of add on fees.  The only one that we are aware of is that they recommended tipping for certain staff.  The staff do get the money directly and you know whom is getting it and how much as you hand it to them.  We were surprised that the bus to the airport was included also.  I can live with all inclusive being truly all inclusive....

When we booked our Oceania Marina Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise I started looking at the Oceania CC forum, After I joined and explained that we booked because Celebrity had pulled out of SA for 2025, I was surprised by so many ex Celebrity cruisers on the forum congratulating me for jumping ship from X. 

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

When we booked our Oceania Marina Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise I started looking at the Oceania CC forum, After I joined and explained that we booked because Celebrity had pulled out of SA for 2025, I was surprised by so many ex Celebrity cruisers on the forum congratulating me for jumping ship from X. 

It's natural progression. A lot of new Celebrity cruisers arrive from RCL looking for a more upscale experience. Then in the course of time many feel it's time to look for something more upscale than Celebrity. Recent management appointments starting with LLP have probably accelerated that process. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Jim,

45 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

As long as the ships are sailing full, I don't think Celebrity really cares if the person in the cabin is a first time cruiser or Double Zenith.  I'm not sure if most of the people currently sailing are paying current very high fares or they booked a long time ago.  It will be interesting to see if the demand continues at the current levels in about a year or so.

Benefits cost money! I think that Celebrity would do their "happy dance" if Jim and Iain would be replaced with a new cruiser who wouldn't require benefits. Celebrity never really understood how important the loyal cruisers is to them and didn't know how to use their loyalty to the brand. By the way Jim and Iain are great guys, the kind of people that Celebrity needs.

• Like 1

I just did it- booked an Oceana Marina Reykjavik to Southampton cruise for next Aug. This will be our fourth attempt at Iceland, hope this one actually happens!! We still have a Millennium, Japan,  for cherry blossoms that we booked in ‘21, we will still do that one since the price we booked is so low compared to now.  I have a feeling that we will meet a lot of former Celebrity passengers.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Poconolady said:

I just did it- booked an Oceana Marina Reykjavik to Southampton cruise for next Aug. This will be our fourth attempt at Iceland, hope this one actually happens!! We still have a Millennium, Japan,  for cherry blossoms that we booked in ‘21, we will still do that one since the price we booked is so low compared to now.  I have a feeling that we will meet a lot of former Celebrity passengers.

I found that when I took the Oceania. Even the Cruise Director was a long time Celebrity CD. It was very good seeing Paul again.

42 minutes ago, Orator said:

Benefits cost money! I think that Celebrity would do their "happy dance" if Jim and Iain would be replaced with a new cruiser who wouldn't require benefits. Celebrity never really understood how important the loyal cruisers is to them and didn't know how to use their loyalty to the brand. By the way Jim and Iain are great guys, the kind of people that Celebrity needs.

Jim and Iain stay in suites, usually above sky suite.  They're paying for their duplicate benefits of the suite.  Their Zenith benefits (wifi, bevs, and laundry) have no value and don't cost Celebrity anything.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Orator said:

Seriously though, how much money do benefits actually cost X, average $100/person?  We personally never paid for laundry Cafe coffee but started using it once our status included it for free.  In that case, X isn't losing out on the retail price, it only costs them its actual cost which is probably a dollar per laundry bag and pennies for the cafe coffee

7 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Seriously though, how much money do benefits actually cost X, average $100/person?  We personally never paid for laundry Cafe coffee but started using it once our status included it for free.  In that case, X isn't losing out on the retail price, it only costs them its actual cost which is probably a dollar per laundry bag and pennies for the cafe coffee

8 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Jim and Iain stay in suites, usually above sky suite.  They're paying for their duplicate benefits of the suite.  Their Zenith benefits (wifi, bevs, and laundry) have no value and don't cost Celebrity anything.

They pay for a Classic Beverage package, but get the Premium Package as a benefit. They also pay for the standard internet package , but get the Premium. The laundry, pressing and dry cleaning also has a value. They receive invitations to any Zenith gatherings, such as a special luncheon. They might not get photos that first time cruisers tend to purchase. Benefits cost and much more than $100!

Just now, Orator said:

They pay for a Classic Beverage package, but get the Premium Package as a benefit. They also pay for the standard internet package , but get the Premium. The laundry, pressing and dry cleaning also has a value. They receive invitations to any Zenith gatherings, such as a special luncheon. They might not get photos that first time cruisers tend to purchase. Benefits cost and much more than $100!

Laundry costs them very little, probably around $1 bag and a few cents per pressed garment.  Due to their sky high retail laundry prices, only a small minority were paying full retail for laundry so we can't use retail numbers

This thread I full of mention of lines that provide many or some of these inclusions in the fare for a price less than Celebrity currently charges. so Celebrity is no longer competitive. Simply stated, if a business has competitors that offer a better product for a lower price, that business needs to make adjustments or eventually cease to exist. This is how the free enterprise system works. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Who is crazy enough to pay these kind of prices next year. Sky Suite at $20K+ and Iconic Suite over $100K+?

Not me.  If I had that kind of money in my travel budget, I would cruise on a six-star line or I would rent a villa in Tuscany.  How many nights in a Tuscan villa could I get for $100K?

13 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Not me.  If I had that kind of money in my travel budget, I would cruise on a six-star line or I would rent a villa in Tuscany.  How many nights in a Tuscan villa could I get for $100K?

You might be able to buy the Tuscan Villa for $100K, LOL

Edited by terrydtx
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

This thread I full of mention of lines that provide many or some of these inclusions in the fare for a price less than Celebrity currently charges. so Celebrity is no longer competitive. Simply stated, if a business has competitors that offer a better product for a lower price, that business needs to make adjustments or eventually cease to exist. This is how the free enterprise system works. 

As I have been digging into what is included in our March 2025 Oceania South America cruise I am amazed at the differences.  We booked a Concierge Class Verandah vs the Equinox Sky Suite on the cruise canceled by Celebrity in South America.

*We get 3 free bags of laundry

*All taxes, fees and port charges are included in cruise fare

*We get a $1000 shore excursion credit

*Daily gratuities are only $18pp per day.

*Cabin is only 20sq ft smaller than the SS

*Priority boarding by noon

*All specialty restaurants are free and included in fare, Oceania is known as a foodie cruise line

*We get 18 nights VS 14 on Celebrity with 3 more ports on Oceania

*We saved $200pp on cost with the 4 extra days and 3 more ports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

It's natural progression. A lot of new Celebrity cruisers arrive from RCL looking for a more upscale experience. Then in the course of time many feel it's time to look for something more upscale than Celebrity. Recent management appointments starting with LLP have probably accelerated that process. 

I have posted about that progression, too. It seems that Celebrity served as a bridge from Royal to the higher end lines. For RCI, that used to mean Azamara, and now means SilverSea. I do not understand why they are seemingly blowing up that bridge, sending their customers elsewhere, rather than keeping it strong and continuing to charge tolls while directing customers to their top line. 

• Like 1