Normandy France

rfs7306

Cunard's QM2 may visit either LeHavre or Cherbourg. (as do many other cruise lines)

We've visited LeHavre in 2017 & 2019 and decided to takes the Ship's tour to the D-Day museums, beaches and memorials - including the American Cemetery near Utah Beach. This is an all day excursion, with Cunard's version including a lunch stop [check what other cruise lines offer for their equivalent]

Ships will also have tours to other Normandy sites [Rouen, Bayeux, Honfluer]; or featuring the region's wine, cider or cheese. 

You will want to check on this forum about the suitability of tours to Paris - My judgment is too much travel time relative the scant time available in the city.

On this forum you will find recommendations for third party tour companies [e.g. Overlord] and do it yourself tour suggestions.

• Like 1

There are many cruises that have a port call to Le Havre, which is in Normandy and a good jumping off point for tours to the D-Day sites. 

Some years ago, a small group of us on our Roll Call used Overlord Tours.  They were terrific, and they continue to be highly recommended here. They book up quickly. 

As others have posted, Cherbourg & Le Havre are the two principal Normandy cruise ship ports.

Cherbourg is the more-convenient for US D-Day sights, but some cruises only port there for a half-day

Le Havre is equidistant for Brit & Canuk D-Day sights but a little further for US sights, however ships don't usually sail away from Le Havre before about 8pm.

Honfleur is a delightful little port, but because only small ships visit it's much more difficult to fix up a shared tour to the D-Day sights. 

Note comments from @Turtles06  about booking excursions early (same applies to ships' Normandy excursions), and @TheOldBear about the distance to Paris and the limited time in the city - I recommend you only consider Paris if it's bucket-list & you have no realistic expectation of visiting in depth in the future

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Normandy is a very large Department (area) of France, so you need to focus on the details of which port, where you want to visit, etc.  You could spend months in Normandy and not “see it all.”

Hank

On 8/17/2023 at 3:15 PM, rfs7306 said:

I would like to take a cruise that has a port near Normandy that is not too far. Would like to take a shore excursion. Has anyone done this? If so please tell me about it. 

rfs7306  I think everyone reading your thread would like to see some clarification, as the way it is currently worded is somewhat confusing..  As an example, you say" Would like to take a shore excursion. Has anyone done this? If so please tell me about it. ", but you forgot to say WHERE you would want to take an excursion TO, so difficult for others to "tell you about it". Some are guessing that you mean WW11 beaches, but  unless you tell, nobody actually knows.

if you are docking in le Havre, the most commonly visited  port in Normany, (and note that it IS in Normany and not "near Normandy" which in itself poses another question of clarity required) there will probably be the usual shorex on offer to Paris, Honfleur,the WW11 Normandy beaches, maybe Monet's Garden at Giverny and possibly others. You can also visit Rouen by train without a shorex, as you can some other destinations including Honfleur.

For best results to your question it is in your interest to clarify.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...