Paying by E-Check question

Boatdrill

I'm considering making my final payment by E-Check to receive the discount. 

However I'm concerned about paying cash (instead of by credit card) in case I have to cancel my cruise

and receive a refund. Is Viking as prompt with refunds to bank accounts as they are to credit cards ?  

Edited by Boatdrill

You are going to be subject to the same cancellation penalties regardless of payment method. With regard to refund, once you make your payment and cancel, in either case it is subject to Viking processing speed (less any penalties). Your decision to cancel does not necessarily constitute a viable reason for disputing the charge on your card unless you can prove that the charge was somehow fraudulent or the product was somehow not delivered.

32 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Yes I'm using a travel agent.

I think I'm about to learn my one thing for the day.  The big box agency I use allows me to pay them with a credit card and then they make payment to Viking.

I'm assuming with your agent you pay Viking directly instead of paying the agency??? 

If Viking cancels the cruise and takes forever to refund,you can dispute the charge on a credit card and get the money sooner. Eft, no cigar. Get a good cash back credit card and use it. . I had an issue with Cunard did get money back via credit card dispute. I would never pay via eft . Wells Fargo has a card that gives 2% back on all charges. No limit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mwike said:

I think I'm about to learn my one thing for the day.  The big box agency I use allows me to pay them with a credit card and then they make payment to Viking.

I'm assuming with your agent you pay Viking directly instead of paying the agency??? 

My TA makes the final payment directly to Viking with my credit card or ECheck account number.

3 hours ago, mwike said:

That's why we use a local TA. Under no circumstances would I permit the TA to deposit the funds into their account and then have the TA pay the cruise line.

Our TA contacts the cruise line and provides our credit card details, so the payment is made directly.

Since I believe you are from the USA, what protections do you have if your TA goes bankrupt between you paying the TA, and the TA paying the cruise line. In UK that is standard practice, but they have consumer protection laws protecting the customer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

We paid with e-check for a cruise in 2021 that was cancelled by Viking during covid.

The money was promptly returned to our account.

From the guests' perspective, it takes longer for an individual cancelation to be processed than it takes when Viking is canceling a whole sailing (possibly because most of the accounting department procedures have already been completed before they even inform guests that it has been canceled). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mwike said:

An added benefit of using a travel agent is that you can pay with credit card and get the benefits.

Can you please explain what the benefits are? I’m a first time VO cruiser and for other lines, always use a big box TA. Since they don’t book VO, I’m using a small independent TA. She hasn’t mentioned any “benefits.” Thanks!

As mentioned earlier an alternative to paying by echeck and getting the 3.3% discount is to use a credit card with cash back. There are many of them. Wells Fargo has the autograph card which gives you 3% on all travel related purchases at home and abroad. It includes the cruise fare, airline costs, restaurants, gas etc. It rebates 1% on everything else. It does have a 3% foreign transaction fee but the cash back would lessen the fee. The cash back is credited back monthly to pay your statement or to go to a checking or savings account

On 8/18/2023 at 11:48 AM, natshala said:

Can you please explain what the benefits are? I’m a first time VO cruiser and for other lines, always use a big box TA. Since they don’t book VO, I’m using a small independent TA. She hasn’t mentioned any “benefits.” Thanks!

One advantage of using a small independent TA is they probably have the patience and experience to answer your questions, as well as to problem-solve anything that comes up.

They will probably give you OBC, but they may not mention it in advance. Then it would be a pleasant surprise when you board. 

Your benefits of paying by CC or by echeck wouldn’t be any different than booking with a big box TA or booking direct with Viking.

Edited by May B

2 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

Do the math.....

Paying with CC which allows points to travel like air and hotel, if much better than cash back or 3% reduction.

Actually, I believe the math favors the eCheck. I prefer the added layer of protection a CC affords.

• Like 3