Cabins at front of ship versus side?

pryce_tag

Just wondering if anyone has experience with cabins facing the front ie right at the front of the ship.  We are able to book either one at front of the ship with very large balcony or one on the side of the ship and not sure which would be the better choice.  Anyone have any insight?  Thanks

If you are sensitive to motion, picking a cabin near the bow would not be recommended.  

I always go for middle of ship-lower deck.

You might get more advice if you named the ship and the itinerary.  Some voyages are rougher than others.  

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you are sensitive to motion, picking a cabin near the bow would not be recommended.  

I always go for middle of ship-lower deck.

You might get more advice if you named the ship and the itinerary.  Some voyages are rougher than others.  

Hi, sorry didn't even think about naming the ship etc.  It will be on Majestic Princess Cabin M101 sailing from Sydney to Vancouver in April 2024.  We do not get sea sick no matter how rough.  It was more about what the balcony might be like and use of it being right on the bow.  

Edited by pryce_tag
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You will have a lot of sea days. 

Not sure what you mean by this?  I know there are a lot of sea days.  Does this have bearing on the cabin choice?  Sorry I have the flu and not really understanding what you mean by this 🙄

Edited by pryce_tag
  • Like 1

The front facing cabins can get a lot of wind.  So if you have a lot of sea days, prepare to usually leave your balcony doors closed most of the time.  Many people have reported it’s comfortable sitting out on the balcony, but having the wind blow through the cabin not so great.  Also - it’s a long walk from those cabins to and from most of the ship.

possibly one other consideration - the forward facing cabins are a 2 person occupancy - there is no fold out bed.

a lot of people love those cabins!  I get motion sickness, and our daughter prefers to have her own bed to chillax in (even though she still sleeps with mommy and daddy), so I haven’t been able to try these out myself.  One of these days.

5 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

The front facing cabins can get a lot of wind.  So if you have a lot of sea days, prepare to usually leave your balcony doors closed most of the time.  Many people have reported it’s comfortable sitting out on the balcony, but having the wind blow through the cabin not so great.  Also - it’s a long walk from those cabins to and from most of the ship.

possibly one other consideration - the forward facing cabins are a 2 person occupancy - there is no fold out bed.

a lot of people love those cabins!  I get motion sickness, and our daughter prefers to have her own bed to chillax in (even though she still sleeps with mommy and daddy), so I haven’t been able to try these out myself.  One of these days.

I have booked it tentatively for three so there must be a fold out bed??  I don't mind not having the door open for the cabin, but just wanted to know if they were ok to sit outside on the balcony or if it usually is just too windy for that.  This particular cabin has a large balcony whereas if I go for a side cabin the balcony is regular sized.  I also don't mind the walking as one has to get rid of those extra food calories somehow hehehe.

10 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

Shoot - sorry, I was thinking of the corner cabins (107/108) - those have the larger balcony, and large odd shaped room with no fold out.

Ah ok you had me worried for a moment hehehe.

You will have to keep the curtains closed at night, as light pollution will affect the night vision of the bridge watch, and they will send crew to remind you if you forget.

Balcony doors should never be left open, as this interferes with the AC system in surrounding cabins.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

You will have to keep the curtains closed at night, as light pollution will affect the night vision of the bridge watch, and they will send crew to remind you if you forget.

Balcony doors should never be left open, as this interferes with the AC system in surrounding cabins.

Yes I did read that about the curtains.  Again not going to be a bother to us as we would have them closed anyways at night.  

I never liked to keep the balcony door open.  🙂

• Like 1

we have had those cabins for a number of days, and so have other family members. We all love them.

The angled solid rail does deflect the wind, you have some  protection above if it rains, and certainly keeping the sliding door closed and the drapes closed at night is not an issue.

The huge balcony is a bonus as are the outstanding views.

1 minute ago, chrysalis said:

we have had those cabins for a number of days, and so have other family members. We all love them.

The angled solid rail does deflect the wind, you have some  protection above if it rains, and certainly keeping the sliding door closed and the drapes closed at night is not an issue.

The huge balcony is a bonus as are the outstanding views.

Awesome thank you.  We have gone ahead and booked as all reviews seem to be great for the bow.  I can't wait.  Now the long countdown begins.  🙂

We were recently in cabin d 121 on Sky Princess. It has a forward facing picture window which we loved. There was also a balcony on the side of the ship. Not large, but then on this class of ship only the aft balconies are decent IMHO.  The cabin itself was a bit larger than the average suite, albeit with a slanted front wall. 

There were some rough seas on the cruise and my wife and grandson got seasick. No question there is more motion and slapping sounds in 3 meter waves. 

I would book again in a heartbeat. My wife said never again!

• Like 1

I love them.  Took one to Hawaii, another to Mexico and used the balcony every day but one.  Have one booked next month for Alaska and another booked for a Med cruise in 2025.  Yes, they can be windy but if you sit, it's fine.  And like you say, it helps get your steps in after dinner.  We have no issues with motion, in fact we love it.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pryce_tag said:

I have booked it tentatively for three so there must be a fold out bed??  I don't mind not having the door open for the cabin, but just wanted to know if they were ok to sit outside on the balcony or if it usually is just too windy for.  This particular cabin has a large balcony whereas if I go for a side cabin the balcony is regular sized.  I also don't mind the walking as one has to get rid of those extra food calories somehow hehehe.

Don't those front facing balconies have a solid rail?   Not see-thru glass.  That means that while seated you won't be able to see over the rail unless you are very tall.   I would look for a balcony with a glass rail myself.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

Don't those front facing balconies have a solid rail?   Not see-thru glass.  That means that while seated you won't be able to see over the rail unless you are very tall.   I would look for a balcony with a glass rail myself.

That is why they are called "obstructed" deluxe balconies.

I like the Royal class forward facing balconies. They're really large and great for entering and leaving port. Priced as an "obstructed" balcony, with an obstruction that never bothered me, they present a good value. Likewise, complying with the request to close curtains at night and keep the balcony door closed came pretty naturally.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm not a huge fan of the Royal class in general, but my wife and I warmed up to the Majestic on that very same itinerary this year.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, walkingsoon said:

I like the Royal class forward facing balconies. They're really large and great for entering and leaving port. Priced as an "obstructed" balcony, with an obstruction that never bothered me, they present a good value. Likewise, complying with the request to close curtains at night and keep the balcony door closed came pretty naturally.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm not a huge fan of the Royal class in general, but my wife and I warmed up to the Majestic on that very same itinerary this year.

Thank you.  We took celebrity on a similar cruise, that did not go to NZ and ended in Hawaii so really looking forward to this longer one.  Also looking forward now, to having this cabin 🙂

18 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

We were recently in cabin d 121 on Sky Princess. It has a forward facing picture window which we loved. There was also a balcony on the side of the ship. Not large, but then on this class of ship only the aft balconies are decent IMHO.  The cabin itself was a bit larger than the average suite, albeit with a slanted front wall. 

There were some rough seas on the cruise and my wife and grandson got seasick. No question there is more motion and slapping sounds in 3 meter waves. 

I would book again in a heartbeat. My wife said never again!

I'm with your wife on this!

On 8/18/2023 at 2:14 AM, WAvoyager said:

Also - it’s a long walk from those cabins to and from most of the ship.

We nave had the actual front cabin but one on the front side.

Yes, it's a long walk to go any where's. It always seems that we wanted to go to the other end of the ship. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 6:07 AM, pryce_tag said:

Awesome thank you.  We have gone ahead and booked as all reviews seem to be great for the bow.  I can't wait.  Now the long countdown begins.  🙂

We were fortunate to snag a forward cabin and loved it. Yes, it's a bit windier, but not always (probably) and the views going into port are worth any wind you do have. It's like your own personal Crow's Nest, but with a balcony. And relaxing out on a large balcony at the end of a port day as you sail away is quite nice. You can enjoy breakfast on that balcony as you come into port and have a view few others have.

Quite different than a forward side balcony - I would not have a cabin there.

Congrats and enjoy!!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

We have been in L102 twice and loved it.  That and the mirror cabin L101 have slightly larger balconies than the obstructed balconies up front.  All the front balconies are larger than regular balconies so any of them are nice. 

Be sure to bring binoculars for stargazing.  Since it is above the bridge it's the darkest spot I have found on any ship.  

Whenever there is a tail wind it's usually not too windy and we sit on the balcony day or night to enjoy the views.  Sail in's and sail out's are particularly good, sometimes spectacular so we plan our activities accordingly. 

We usually bring furniture risers to boost up the chairs about 3 to 4 inches.  This provides better views over the solid railing.   They take a bit more luggage space but we always bring them when we don't have a see thru glass railing. 
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, symui said:

We usually bring furniture risers to boost up the chairs about 3 to 4 inches.  This provides better views over the solid railing.   They take a bit more luggage space but we always bring them when we don't have a see thru glass railing. 

Oh this is a great idea thank you