Viking Mars Incident involving a crew member at Invergordon

uktog

Viking Mars was in our port (Newhaven, Edinburgh) today.    

I am sorry to say that the crew member died from his injuries.    Thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues.    Chaplains were on board first thing this morning to assist with crew welfare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, showingdiva said:

I am sorry to say that the crew member died from his injuries.    Thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues.    Chaplains were on board first thing this morning to assist with crew welfare.

That’s just so sad.  I can only echo your sentiments.

2 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I am so sorry to hear this, I did fear when the trauma team and air ambulance were involved.  Thoughts and prayers with everyone affected by this tragedy

Just returned from the Mars when I saw the news that one passed due to an accident.

For us that is tragedy too close to home. We wonder who it was, Who was it that made an impact on our journey. 

We had a wonderful trip, I doubt we missed meeting many. All work hard , most to support a family far away. 

Sigh, God bless them. God bless his family. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

For us that is tragedy too close to home. We wonder who it was, Who was it that made an impact on our journey. 

From the description that the crew member fell over the side of the ship, in port, it would most likely point to a deck crew member, doing "over the side" maintenance.

50 minutes ago, deec said:

Why wouldn't someone working "over the side" have harness on?  Equipment failure it tragic.  My heart breaks for the crew who become family too.

Workers not using all of the required PPE (personal protective equipment) happens all too frequently.  Just recently they have introduced double attachment harnesses, so that when moving from one location to another, you hook your new tether before removing the old one, which, in the old days, you would be untethered while moving.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Workers not using all of the required PPE (personal protective equipment) happens all too frequently.  Just recently they have introduced double attachment harnesses, so that when moving from one location to another, you hook your new tether before removing the old one, which, in the old days, you would be untethered while moving.

“Just recently” … Do you know whether double attachment harnesses are the standard now in the cruise industry? At Viking?

19 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

“Just recently” … Do you know whether double attachment harnesses are the standard now in the cruise industry? At Viking?

Within the last 5 years or so, and they are standard in all industries.  But, again, the number of times I've seen "trained" individuals misusing PPE, or not using it at all, despite a "safety culture" in the company, would astound you.  Not saying this is the case here, but it is very common.  Very little details of the incident available, so I'm just guessing about the situation, but no hotel worker would be working over the side.  Heck, it could be as simple as the crew member breaking for coffee break, and detaching the harness before climbing out of the window washing rig, slipping and falling.  It happens, sea going is a dangerous business that most cruise passengers don't realize.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Awful news.

Prayers for him, his family and crew mates. Casts a pall.

Remember folks that your tip deducted at cruise end is also distributed to all these behind the scenes crew members you may never encounter, deck crew, engine crew, dishwashers, laundry room, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Awful news.

Prayers for him, his family and crew mates. Casts a pall.

Remember folks that your tip deducted at cruise end is also distributed to all these behind the scenes crew members you may never encounter, deck crew, engine crew, dishwashers, laundry room, etc.

Typically, deck and engine crew do not participate in the "DSC" pool.  They are more likely unionized, and have a collective bargaining agreement for wages, that are a good bit higher than the hotel staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Per the CrewCenter website: "Our source said that the crew member fell when securing the gangway from deck 2 and hit the pier side."

@chengkp75 Should crew members be harnessed in when securing a gangway from above a landing pier?

10 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

@chengkp75 Should crew members be harnessed in when securing a gangway from above a landing pier?

Industry standard calls for fall restraint equipment any time you can fall more than 6 feet, so yes, leaning out the side port to secure a gangway would qualify.