Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

I am really bummed our 2024 Alaska cruise does not stop at Icy Strait Point. We stopped here in July and did an amazing whale watch tour with Glacier Wind Charters on their 6 person boat. However our port times were short so we couldn't do the Sky Glider. I need a long stop here so I can do both!!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

the encore will have Spice H2O.  This is an adults only outdoor area with a dedicated bar, hot tubs…no one under 18 allowed.

Actually Encore won't have Spice H20. The Bliss does, but not the Encore.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

This is that bridge rooms someone was telling me about. Pretty cool.

looks like sometimes they have windows into the bridge.

IMG_2429.jpeg

IMG_2430.jpeg

IMG_2431.jpeg

Access to the bridge viewing is on deck 11 forward port side - don’t go there during docking or leaving port as the blinds will be closed. 

• Like 2

Really enjoying the live report. I just read your 2022 Alaska report from Carnival. We were on the Disney Wonder to Alaska the week before you were on Carnival (May 16th to 23rd, 2022) and had even warmer weather in Port it was 75+ each day and sunny, the only rain we had was in Vancouver where it was cold and wet.

We are Canadians who have snow and temps down to -40F in the lovely cold snaps and still truly enjoyed Alaska and all she has to offer. We've been on 2 AK cruises and enjoyed them both and I would happily return (though I'm hoping for sun and beaches for our next vacation)

Edited by TinkLoverSam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Grimix said:

Actually Encore won't have Spice H20. The Bliss does, but not the Encore.

Sorry “won’t” should be “doesn’t”…

That’s the BA+ class ship that we will not return to. Nice ship except for the mid ship chandelier- OMG!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, depplep said:

Thank you for the tips. We are mid ship balcony and I was actually planning on using it cruising the glacier. Assuming we don't freeze to death having lived in Florida for 18 years now. Sorry to hijack your thread @Saint Greg. Carry on.

I too am from Florida and did Alaska on the Encore last year.  You're going to love it.   It will get chilly, but by no means is it frigid yet in the month of October.  I was fine with a heavy North Face fleece most of the time.  Highly recommend waterproof hiking boots, ground is consistently wet and slick.  Personally, I've done Royal's megaships as well as some of the smaller ones and prefer NCL in just about every way, especially when it comes to food.  Cruised on Royal last Summer and the food was atrocious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lupush said:

I too am from Florida and did Alaska on the Encore last year.  You're going to love it.   It will get chilly, but by no means is it frigid yet in the month of October.  I was fine with a heavy North Face fleece most of the time.  Highly recommend waterproof hiking boots, ground is consistently wet and slick.  Personally, I've done Royal's megaships as well as some of the smaller ones and prefer NCL in just about every way, especially when it comes to food.  Cruised on Royal last Summer and the food was atrocious.

I agree with the food. Royal has been going downhill for awhile. I've been back and forth on buying a Patagonia/Columbia lined rain jacket. Wasn't sure if I needed it and won't likely use it again. I own nothing waterproof that is insulated. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Good you found it - but you’ll have to go back there when ship is at sea. 

I posted the last message before I saw that you actually went there. 

Tbats not very often on this cruise. just at night and the last day.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, depplep said:

I agree with the food. Royal has been going downhill for awhile. I've been back and forth on buying a Patagonia/Columbia lined rain jacket. Wasn't sure if I needed it and won't likely use it again. I own nothing waterproof that is insulated. 

I highly recommend it, it's pretty wet in October.  Not sure if you're in South Florida, but I got all my gear at the North Face outlet in Sawgrass Mills.  Most of the stuff I bought was 70% off.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lupush said:

I highly recommend it, it's pretty wet in October.  Not sure if you're in South Florida, but I got all my gear at the North Face outlet in Sawgrass Mills.  Most of the stuff I bought was 70% off.  

I'm in between Tampa and Orlando so I' sure there's an outlet somewhere up here. I hadn't even thought about that. Gives me an excuse to get out of town.

Edited by depplep
  • Like 4

On 8/28/2023 at 12:07 PM, TravelE said:

Too funny! I thought the Grand Canyon was epically beautiful. There are so many angles and viewpoints to appreciate it from. Not to mention sunset. I had to force myself to stop staring at it to give my brain a much needed break.

Same here. I only went one time and had to keep eyes on my then two little girls. I want to go back, without little kids, and just sit and stare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

That was slightly more terrifying than I expected.

IMG_2519.jpeg

That tram ride is no joke. It's all good until it goes straight up. We actually zip lined down. I don't know what gets into me sometimes. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4