The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 20th, 2023

richwmn

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Roy that was my first thought, why was it activated before you got it?  Something wrong there, but I think that's all it was, someone at the company activated it too soon.

I went out to water the garden and didn't stay out long.  The air is definitely smoky now.  My neighbor told me that now there's a fire in Everett, the next town over. 😞  

Hazy here in Bremerton & we can smell the smoke from some nearby fire....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, kazu said:

I am afraid I best look at getting one too. 😔. It’s helpful knowing you feel better with it 👍 

That is why I gifted myself an Apple Watch.  I can call 911 from it and it can sense a fall.  I was pounding on the floor one day and the watch thought I had fallen and wanted to call 911 for me.  Thankfully, I was able to decline that.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

That is why I gifted myself an Apple Watch.  I can call 911 from it and it can sense a fall.  I was pounding on the floor one day and the watch thought I had fallen and wanted to call 911 for me.  Thankfully, I was able to decline that.

So that is better than a Life Alert?  My widow friend has a life alert and I thought that was the way to go.  Not sure if I am techie enough to do all the stuff an Apple Watch permits but it does the trick it might be a better investment down the road?  I guess I need to do some research.  Thanks.

• Like 10

I've had two falls at home in which I was injured. One, in 2012, was a freak accident in which I broke my nose. It was late at night and I drove myself to the hospital. It was during a snowstorm, which made it difficult to persuade them that the accident had taken place indoors. When I got back, the upstairs looked like a crime scene.

The other was in 2017, in circumstances that make me wonder whether anything like a Life Alert or an Apple Watch would have helped: I was getting ready for a shower, still clothed but I wouldn't have been wearing the device, if I had had one. I was able to get up, and called 9-1-1, then went downstairs to unlock the door. That time, I had broken my left arm and probably could have driven myself, but I was glad that I didn't try, because a bit later the fainting-goat syndrome kicked in.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, dobiemom said:

It’s lightly raining, not sure when it started. And a light breeze. 

Just checking in. We’re safe and dry in the house. The rain stopped for a couple hours this morning, and then it was heavy for a while. And Ojai (north of Los Angeles) had a 5.1 earthquake. Now it has quieted down to a light rain. 

I think the wind/rain did something to our TV antenna (yes I'm cheap, we don't have cable). We lost a lot of channels (used to get over 100? 200?). I still have TV, just missing most of the major networks and 2 of our favorite stations. Not sure when DH will be able to go on the roof to check. 

@Nickelpenny Penny, my brother sent this this morning. Maybe it will help? 
20230820_095549.thumb.jpeg.e4c256e80216f6d5262f4645e7f31592.jpeg

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

25 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I've had two falls at home in which I was injured. One, in 2012, was a freak accident in which I broke my nose. It was late at night and I drove myself to the hospital. It was during a snowstorm, which made it difficult to persuade them that the accident had taken place indoors. When I got back, the upstairs looked like a crime scene.

The other was in 2017, in circumstances that make me wonder whether anything like a Life Alert or an Apple Watch would have helped: I was getting ready for a shower, still clothed but I wouldn't have been wearing the device, if I had had one. I was able to get up, and called 9-1-1, then went downstairs to unlock the door. That time, I had broken my left arm and probably could have driven myself, but I was glad that I didn't try, because a bit later the fainting-goat syndrome kicked in.

Supposedly I can wear my Medical Guardian in the shower. I admit I don't do it, but I place it nearby. Probably should.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

And mine credits me with steps for each crochet stitch I do. It asked if I wanted to record an elliptical workout when I was winding yarn. 😜

1 hour ago, kazu said:

So that is better than a Life Alert?  My widow friend has a life alert and I thought that was the way to go.  Not sure if I am techie enough to do all the stuff an Apple Watch permits but it does the trick it might be a better investment down the road?  I guess I need to do some research.  Thanks.

A few other tricks it can do: it’s a timer ( recipe calls for stirring 6 minutes on the stove); don’t remember where my iPhone is?- make it play a location tone; check Ring to see a photo of who or what is at the door; displays your route from Apple Maps and taps your wrist when it’s time to turn: ekg; heart rate: start and stop audio books:

Just a few.

Update on this neck of the woods: we’re currently in the center of the storm- lots of wind from the NE. We’ve had steady rain all day. Lots of drops but no torrents here.

@Nickelpenny The news says the 15 is closed in Barstow. Cajon is full ( it’s usually a b***** without weather). The newscaster said maps show green areas but that’s because the highways are closed. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/live/video/20230821015940-kcal-news/#x

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

I will add a word of caution about medical alert devices.  I think the discussion must be country specific.  I should know more in a few weeks but it looks like Medical Guardian does not work at all in Canada.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

And mine credits me with steps for each crochet stitch I do. It asked if I wanted to record an elliptical workout when I was winding yarn. 😜

A few other tricks it can do: it’s a timer ( recipe calls for stirring 6 minutes on the stove); don’t remember where my iPhone is?- make it play a location tone; check Ring to see a photo of who or what is at the door; displays your route from Apple Maps and taps your wrist when it’s time to turn: ekg; heart rate: start and stop audio books:

Just a few.

Thanks 🙂   

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Update on this neck of the woods: we’re currently in the center of the storm- lots of wind from the NE. We’ve had steady rain all day. Lots of drops but no torrents here.

Hope it stayed that way for you overnight 🤞 stay safe please.

17 minutes ago, dfish said:

@kazu Jacqui, I don’t know if it is better, but it has a sporty look and doesn’t make me look like an old woman.

LOL 😂 😆 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I will add a word of caution about medical alert devices.  I think the discussion must be country specific.  I should know more in a few weeks but it looks like Medical Guardian does not work at all in Canada.

Roy

Lifeline seems to be the big one here Roy.  Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu @dfish  one more trick that the watch can do: accept or place calls via recents, contacts or keypad. If your watch is not cellular enabled, your iPhone has to be nearby.

IMG_1761.jpeg

I am not a techie by any means.  I’m proud I’ve figured out to use a few things on my IPhone and my Apple tags.  Now, on an Ipad - I’m good.  I hate small keyboards 😂 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am not a techie by any means.  I’m proud I’ve figured out to use a few things on my IPhone and my Apple tags.  Now, on an Ipad - I’m good.  I hate small keyboards 😂 

You people don't even want to hear what I am saying about setting up my new, upgraded, cell phone. I want simple. My watch is one I can easily adjust for time changes as I travel. My medical alert does what it is supposed to do and medical alerts (and can also be used if I feel unsafe for some reason). I just about have the cell phone usable.... and will then proceed to get my Australian documents in order.

Susan

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

You people don't even want to hear what I am saying about setting up my new, upgraded, cell phone. I want simple. My watch is one I can easily adjust for time changes as I travel. My medical alert does what it is supposed to do and medical alerts (and can also be used if I feel unsafe for some reason). I just about have the cell phone usable.... and will then proceed to get my Australian documents in order.

Susan

You and I are in the same boat, Susan.  Besides, I can’t dump my “engagement” watch.  Jose bought me a Gucci watch the day he proposed.  I did get a ring later (even though I said I didn’t need one).  He had it re-plated a few years ago and it’s my favourite watch - especially with my elbow now.  It’s like a bracelet - nothing to do up. 👍 

We both need 9 year olds to help us I think 😂 

• Like 3