Observations, first time on HAL. Zaandam 23Aug to 03 Sep 2023

Blackduck59

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just to you know, Mic is talking about crustaceans he enjoys from the land down under. I have seen the lobster that is served for an additional fee here on the ship. It was a whole Atlantic lobster and I hope the recipient enjoyed it. 

I realized that.  Just be on the look out for the boil, it was just a footnote on the daily program

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I realized that.  Just be on the look out for the boil, it was just a footnote on the daily program

They came around the other day, we declined. It is a $35.00 tariff. I'm sure others may have ordered it but we haven't had dinner in the Lido so far. We have had some excellent table mates at dinner these last 2 nights, choosing to share a table has been good for us. I think the meals have been good in the MDR unfortunately a couple of times I have thought "I should have ordered that" when looking at some of the other main dishes served around me. I think part of it is what I may think a dish should be as opposed to what is served. The idea of "Stroganoff" to me is a beef and mushroom base in a beefy sauce with paprika and sour cream, all served on buttered broad noodles. What was served as stroganoff last night didn't resemble that. I was prepared for the "braised short ribs" part so I expected the meat to  be different than my thoughts as far the meat part goes. I didn't expect to find something served on a bed of linguini with no hint of paprika, sauce or sour cream. While it was okay, it was not "Stroganoff"

• Like 6

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Personally, I think Lobster is overrated, sometimes it is dry and sometimes it is bland and only thing that saves it both times is the garlic butter. A few times it has been nice.  Most often on ships it is just lobster tail anyway. I would rather a balmain bug or Moreton Bay bug or even tiger prawns.

The ones that you are talking about Mic are called Spanish or Slipper Lobsters ( i.e. bugs ) here in South Florida . But the ones that we dive for , catch and eat here are the Caribbean Spiny Lobster (Reef Creature Identification , by Paul Humann).

84580340_IMG_0002(5).thumb.JPG.4aee0865267f0bf31830ef6c58f68dbd.JPG

They are the ones that HAL serves at Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas - only much smaller . We cook the tails broiled or grilled - never boiled .

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

They came around the other day, we declined. It is a $35.00 tariff. I'm sure others may have ordered it but we haven't had dinner in the Lido so far. We have had some excellent table mates at dinner these last 2 nights, choosing to share a table has been good for us. I think the meals have been good in the MDR unfortunately a couple of times I have thought "I should have ordered that" when looking at some of the other main dishes served around me. I think part of it is what I may think a dish should be as opposed to what is served. The idea of "Stroganoff" to me is a beef and mushroom base in a beefy sauce with paprika and sour cream, all served on buttered broad noodles. What was served as stroganoff last night didn't resemble that. I was prepared for the "braised short ribs" part so I expected the meat to  be different than my thoughts as far the meat part goes. I didn't expect to find something served on a bed of linguini with no hint of paprika, sauce or sour cream. While it was okay, it was not "Stroganoff"

We need a sad button, it used to be free on the lido 

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

...I think the meals have been good in the MDR unfortunately a couple of times I have thought "I should have ordered that" when looking at some of the other main dishes served around me. I think part of it is what I may think a dish should be as opposed to what is served...

You are able to order additional items (judgement free) so if something looks appealing, just ask your server to bring you one. You can ask for a smaller portion if you think a full portion would be too much. Same if the "creative interpretation" of a dish doesn't align with your expectations - simply ask for something else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

It gets confusing when people discuss other cruise ships/lines in the middle of a HAL thread.

You have a bit of a point, the drift came from talk if lobster, I'm sorry it was confusing for you. My threads do tend to wander.

22 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Funny thing there was a lady at the Lido yesterday that asked for a lobster roll 🤔. The guy looked at her with that "excuse me what?" Look.

Lobster rolls were created to get rid of the junk broken lobster they could not sell as whole pieces. Canny marketing. 

52 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

You are able to order additional items (judgement free) so if something looks appealing, just ask your server to bring you one. You can ask for a smaller portion if you think a full portion would be too much. Same if the "creative interpretation" of a dish doesn't align with your expectations - simply ask for something else.

Yes I'm aware of that. I did do 2 mains on the second night. Dinner service has been a little slow so ordering another dish would slow things down even more. The meal served was okay just not "Stroganoff" that I was expecting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes I'm aware of that. I did do 2 mains on the second night. Dinner service has been a little slow so ordering another dish would slow things down even more. The meal served was okay just not "Stroganoff" that I was expecting. 

Old cruise line trick seen across brands for decades - change the menu item name, but still serve basically primarily  chicken, beef or fish.

Wait until you order their "chile rellenos". You will get a cheese stuffed chile - so truth in advertising is not 100% compromised. But you will need to wait until you can visit La Simpatia in Guadalupe, CA for the real deal.

This is not a fine dining cruise line nor does it pretend to be, even though it can do some dishes very well. Best liver and onions at sea in my book, but that is more of their Dutch pride heritage showing than anything else. 

20 hours ago, Sherry H said:

Very good point on ordering lobster every night on HAL vs the cost of cruising Oceania. 👍 

Quick price scan; balcony cabin - 11 day Eastern Canada New England

Oceania - $650 a day

HAL Voldendam - $230 a day

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

You have a bit of a point, the drift came from talk if lobster, I'm sorry it was confusing for you. My threads do tend to wander.

Wandering is part of the fun! Don't apologize for that. 

35 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Lobster rolls were created to get rid of the junk broken lobster they could not sell as whole pieces. Canny marketing. 

Well, I bless who ever came up with the idea! love a good lobster roll, especially when it's heavy on the claw meat. (At the risk of furthering drift 🙄 and starting a debate, I'm in the mayo camp)

The lobster on the ship has been frozen for heaven knows how long. Last winter, there was an upsell option for a large lobster tail. One of our tablemates ordered it as an extra to share with his wife. It was huge and tough. They couldn't finish it, even if it had been good, so they offered chunks of it as tastes. I passed. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Those are awful.  the HAL ones should be called stuffed peppers.  They are one of my least favorite entrees 

I have been ordering them on HAL for years now, just to see their evolution. 

First one was a stuffed  large green bell pepper that had been tempura battered to look like a giant baseball. Others never quite got the cheese melted. Or kept using the"wrong " chile. Last on on the Konigsdam was getting better, but still way off the real deal when it is well executed Mexican cuisine.  

But it was a reasonably tasty, battered fried cheese stuffed pepper.  Kind of. Just need to change expectations, when ordering to what it says it is: a cheese stuffed pepper..

Providing full vegetarian options has been a challenge though the "crew food" puts this out everyday. HAL's attempts for the MDR  often are a nice change of pace, even for non-vegetarians.  

Providing full vegan an even greater challenge I am sure. I remember when "vegetarian" meant only a plate of steamed vegetables, by special order ...... way back when on HAL ships.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Well, I bless who ever came up with the idea! love a good lobster roll, especially when it's heavy on the claw meat. (At the risk of furthering drift 🙄 and starting a debate, I'm in the mayo camp)

I really enjoyed the lobster roll I had on KDam Alaska cruise; it was in Pinnacle Grill for lunch. That said, if you are doing an Atlantic Canada/US cruise, there is no reason to get lobster on the ship..virtually every port will have it! And so good, especially if you find a casual place that uses sea water to cook them..come to think of it, the ships could cook them in sea water- they have an unlimited supply of sea water!!😁

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

I have been ordering them on HAL for years now, just to see their evolution. 

First one was a stuffed  large green bell pepper that had been tempura battered to look like a giant baseball. Others never quite got the cheese melted. Or kept using the"wrong " chile. Last on on the Konigsdam was getting better, but still way off the real deal when it is well executed Mexican cuisine.  

But it was a reasonably tasty, battered fried cheese stuffed pepper.  Kind of. Just need to change expectations, when ordering to what it says it is: a cheese stuffed pepper..

Providing full vegetarian options has been a challenge though the "crew food" puts this out everyday. HAL's attempts for the MDR  often are a nice change of pace, even for non-vegetarians.  

Providing full vegan an even greater challenge I am sure. I remember when "vegetarian" meant only a plate of steamed vegetables, by special order ...... way back when on HAL ships.

Bell pepper in chili rellenos? No bueno. 🇲🇽

• Haha 2

So we just finished our Pinnacle Lunch. We both started with the prawn bruschetta (Lynn had hers altered to delete the crustini and tomatoes) she got 4 prawn, mine were served as described on the menu I hot 3 prawns. I decided to try the lobster roll complete with an $8.00 surcharge it was definitely underwhelming and not worth the tariff. I did however also try the seafood chiapino, it was really very tasty, there was quite a spicy vibe to it, I heard several comments about the spiciness. Lynn chose the burger and those who sang it's praises were correct, she enjoyed it and she let me have a try. It was good. Lynn had the orange sorbet. I chose the fresh fruit with zaballon (did I spell that right?)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Quick price scan; balcony cabin - 11 day Eastern Canada New England

Oceania - $650 a day

HAL Voldendam - $230 a day

Yes, I won’t be one of those suggesting Oceania is no less expensive than a mass market ship. But given all the carping about food just on this thread (and in fairness not just by the OP), it’s worth noting that if you pay more you CAN still get a high tea experience that is wonderful, with classical string quartet playing, and much more of these things once offered on HAL but now firmly in the rear view mirror.

Tonight there’s a “Classic New England” dinner in the buffet that includes NE clam chowder, lobster Mac & cheese, seafood newburgh, fresh LOCAL mussels (I saw the chef out shopping), and much more - like Yankee Pot Roast and fresh blueberry pie and blackberry cobbler. At no EXTRA charge. 

(Also, per diems vary widely. Oceania’s posted fares include airfare, as well as something similar to HIA… did you take that into consideration in your calculation?)

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, I won’t be one of those suggesting Oceania is no less expensive than a mass market ship. But given all the carping about food just on this thread (and in fairness not just by the OP), it’s worth noting that if you pay more you CAN still get a high tea experience that is wonderful, with classical string quartet playing, and much more of these things once offered on HAL but now firmly in the rear view mirror.

They aren’t calling afternoon tea “high tea” are they?

• Like 1

Question: You mention that you are sharing a table for dinner. Are you on fixed early or late dining or on anytime ? Just hoping that if one askes for a large table under late fixed and is sailing solo that the other passengers at the table will be the same ones every night.

5 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

There are as many Beef Stroganoff recipes as there are electrons on  the internet. Start at the bottom with Betty Crocker "classic" and work your way on up:  https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/classic-beef-stroganoff/c17a904f-a8f6-48ae-bedb-5b301a8ea317

Indeed there are but I think you will find most have beef, mushrooms, onions paprika and sour cream. When something is missing most of those things, it's something else.

• Like 6