Observations, first time on HAL. Zaandam 23Aug to 03 Sep 2023

Blackduck59

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Well, I bless who ever came up with the idea! love a good lobster roll, especially when it's heavy on the claw meat. (At the risk of furthering drift 🙄 and starting a debate, I'm in the mayo camp)

Let the debate begin. I'm firmly in the don't order lobster roll from Pinnacle Grill camp.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Indeed there are but I think you will find most have beef, mushrooms, onions paprika and sour cream. When something is missing most of those things, it's something else.

Paprika is not a common ingredient in Stroganoff, are you thinking of goulash?

Well it's beginning to be a common theme of painfully slow service in the MDR, good thing we have good conversation or it would be very aggravating. Lynn missed a presentation she wanted to attend because of the long service. Now we have to go to the later presentation of both that an Cantare unfortunately she may not last through Cantare. 

I don't mind leisurely dinner but it  shouldn't take more than an hour. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well it's beginning to be a common theme of painfully slow service in the MDR, good thing we have good conversation or it would be very aggravating. Lynn missed a presentation she wanted to attend because of the long service. Now we have to go to the later presentation of both that an Cantare unfortunately she may not last through Cantare. 

If I might ask, what time are you showing up at the MDR and when does it actually open?

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I did however also try the seafood chiapino, it was really very tasty, there was quite a spicy vibe to it, I heard several comments about the spiciness.

Lack of spice in spicy food seems to be endemic on most cruise lines. On my first HAL cruise I ordered a Malaysian dish (can't recall the name) knowing that it should be spicy - it wasn't. I mentioned this to the waiter. He disappeared and soon returned with a small dish of sambal which solved the problem.

If there is gumbo on the menu I always order it but I'm usually disappointed by blandness, but I keep hoping. Seems that anything spicy on cruise menus gets dumbed down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Paprika is not a common ingredient in Stroganoff, are you thinking of goulash?

I stand corrected,  my beef stroganoff has paprika, it adds a nice colour. Try it you'll like it (smoked paprika is even better) 😉

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Indeed there are but I think you will find most have beef, mushrooms, onions paprika and sour cream. When something is missing most of those things, it's something else.

Indeed. And mustard. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, what time are you showing up at the MDR and when does it actually open?

We show up at around 1700 hrs. It opens at 1700 hrs. Dinner has been taking about 1.5 hrs. Tonight they delivered all the deserts except Lynn's the server  "forgot" her. It came about 10 minutes later.

As I said I would make my observations good bad or indifferent, so far the service in the MDR has been between poor and hopeless. I hope for improvement soon. The MDR food has been good but not remarkable, even with the loose interpretations of well known dishes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We show up at around 1700 hrs. It opens at 1700 hrs. Dinner has been taking about 1.5 hrs. Tonight they delivered all the deserts except Lynn's the server  "forgot" her. It came about 10 minutes later.

As I said I would make my observations good bad or indifferent, so far the service in the MDR has been between poor and hopeless. I hope for improvement soon. The MDR food has been good but not remarkable, even with the loose interpretations of well known dishes. 

Thanks. That doesn’t seem too bad for a table of 4. Hopefully since you’re arriving every night at 5 pm, they are putting you in the same dining section so you have the same servers every night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just to you know, Mic is talking about crustaceans he enjoys from the land down under. I have seen the lobster that is served for an additional fee here on the ship. It was a whole Atlantic lobster and I hope the recipient enjoyed it. 

I would hope it was fresh and not frozen

7 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

The ones that you are talking about Mic are called Spanish or Slipper Lobsters ( i.e. bugs ) here in South Florida . But the ones that we dive for , catch and eat here are the Caribbean Spiny Lobster (Reef Creature Identification , by Paul Humann).

84580340_IMG_0002(5).thumb.JPG.4aee0865267f0bf31830ef6c58f68dbd.JPG

They are the ones that HAL serves at Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas - only much smaller . We cook the tails broiled or grilled - never boiled .

Good to note.

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

They came around the other day, we declined. It is a $35.00 tariff. I'm sure others may have ordered it but we haven't had dinner in the Lido so far. We have had some excellent table mates at dinner these last 2 nights, choosing to share a table has been good for us. I think the meals have been good in the MDR unfortunately a couple of times I have thought "I should have ordered that" when looking at some of the other main dishes served around me. I think part of it is what I may think a dish should be as opposed to what is served. The idea of "Stroganoff" to me is a beef and mushroom base in a beefy sauce with paprika and sour cream, all served on buttered broad noodles. What was served as stroganoff last night didn't resemble that. I was prepared for the "braised short ribs" part so I expected the meat to  be different than my thoughts as far the meat part goes. I didn't expect to find something served on a bed of linguini with no hint of paprika, sauce or sour cream. While it was okay, it was not "Stroganoff"

I often get menu envy

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We’ve had many 2 hour dinners through the years (HAL fixed dining) at tables for 6 with lively conversations.  The more we talked,  the slower we finished our courses.  A few years ago there were more courses.  Dining in the MDR has become a less formal occasion with fewer dining room stewards.

With a table for two, we usually finish the meal in the MDR within an hour.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I stand corrected,  my beef stroganoff has paprika, it adds a nice colour. Try it you'll like it (smoked paprika is even better) 😉

Sweet paprika is in many of the strogonoffs here as well but nowhere near as much paprika you would have in a goulash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

We’ve had many 2 hour dinners through the years (HAL fixed dining) at tables for 6 with lively conversations.  The more we talked,  the slower we finished our courses.  A few years ago there were more courses.  Dining in the MDR has become a less formal occasion with fewer dining room stewards.

With a table for two, we usually finish the meal in the MDR within an hour.  

Thanks for the info when we shared tables it was 5, 7 and 6 diners. Because I said I wouldn't "compare" I won't mention other experiences elsewhere. 

• Like 1

So I haven't really talked at all about Zaandam. She is a nice size, seems to ride the sea well (although she was rocking a bit overnight and this morning) the overall impression is good. There are a couple of seemingly too dark passage ways, most notably outside of Pinnacle Grill. There is lots of imitation wood paneling accented with real wood trim. Overall it has a classic look. I think that there was a refresh done on our state room recently because our bathroom has large format tiles on the deck and large flat panels on the bulkheads. There is still a tub and shower curtain however.

I'm looking at my watch and I have to get to the show. More later. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So I haven't really talked at all about Zaandam. She is a nice size, seems to ride the sea well (although she was rocking a bit overnight and this morning) the overall impression is good. There are a couple of seemingly too dark passage ways, most notably outside of Pinnacle Grill. There is lots of imitation wood paneling accented with real wood trim. Overall it has a classic look. I think that there was a refresh done on our state room recently because our bathroom has large format tiles on the deck and large flat panels on the bulkheads. There is still a tub and shower curtain however.

I'm looking at my watch and I have to get to the show. More later. 

100% agreed.  (Also first timer) Right size ship.  Steady.  Comfortable.  My only complaint so far had been the lighting.  The passageway you mentioned. is highest on that list.   Cabin (OV on deck 3) is extremely comfortable except even with all lights on and curtains open, sometimes too dark. 
I am still trying to come to terms with use of plasticware (salad bowls, water glasses, wine glasses) in Lido buffet… (I know we are trying to avoid comparisons but this one is a big difference for me… still not sure how to process this).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks. That doesn’t seem too bad for a table of 4. Hopefully since you’re arriving every night at 5 pm, they are putting you in the same dining section so you have the same servers every night.

5pm for as you wish dining always seems the most impacted. The crowds that gather at the door when the dining room opens,  I can only imagine how difficult it must be to handle that random number all at once. When compared to the days of known quantities for only early or late fixed dining - or early and regular dining for the traditionalists 

When we had 8pm fixed on a recent Konigsdam, our own complaint was it was almost "too fast". Whisk one item in and replace it with another - with little time to pause,savor or anticipate between courses.  HAL faces the Goldilocks problem in the MDR, yet there are sweet spots to be found by varying one's routine.

I believe their current dinner service standard is now 1.5 hours. In the past it was much much longer, even  more so when soup was a separate course and the dessert menu only  came out at the end of dinner So that is one change, the more consistent 1.5 hour dinner, that has been welcomed.

Even if it now includes asking for a dessert choice at the beginning of the meal -which can be declined if one wishes to do so and make their choices later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have just finished watching Cantare, it was a truly enjoyable show. I liked the set list and the group sings well together. World Stage is a comfortable theater with a mixture of seating options. Unfortunately Lynn missed the show because dinner went long and she was too tired to wait for the evening show. We have certainly enjoyed our table mates at dinner but we are beginning to wonder if we should go for a smaller group. 

Edited by Blackduck59
Typo
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

You have a bit of a point, the drift came from talk if lobster, I'm sorry it was confusing for you. My threads do tend to wander.

The art of real traveling is to wander. Never know what will show up. But you have me at the sour cream being critical for Stroganoff. Why bother if the sauce is thin and flavorless, and not piquant and  unctuous. However, beef in an herbed cream sauce on noodles - comfort food. Good enough. 

8 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

The art of real traveling is to wander. Never know what will show up. But you have me at the sour cream being critical for Stroganoff. Why bother if the sauce is thin and flavorless, and not piquant and  unctuous. However, beef in an herbed cream sauce on noodles - comfort food. Good enough. 

If only it was beef in an herbed cream sauce, alas it was not.

Edited by Blackduck59