Norwegian laundry bag

grayhair61

on a 7day cruise, the laundry special is around the halfway point. The bag is about the size of a pillowcase and costs $30. You can cram quite a bit into the bag, but it's paper so be careful not to split it.

The steward usually leaves a bag in your room the night before, but since yours is a longer cruise, I would ask the steward which days, (plus sometimes they don't leave the bag and you'll miss out on the special)

13 minutes ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

We are on day 5 of our 10 day cruise and was hoping for the special. Have not seen one yet. I will be a gold member in a day or two and may take advantage of the 50% off.

I’m afraid your status won’t apply until after your current trip.  I was in the same situation last year.  I was one night from Platinum when I boarded.  I asked, but they do not elevate your status until the cruise is completed.

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

I’m afraid your status won’t apply until after your current trip.  I was in the same situation last year.  I was one night from Platinum when I boarded.  I asked, but they do not elevate your status until the cruise is completed.

Bummer! 

13 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

The bags in the haven are fabric and easy to stuff with a lot of clothes. As noted, the paper ones can split open. If you roll your items tightly you can fit a lot more in the paper bag and then use duct tape to seal the bag.

Yes.  Using a small plastic bag like a laundry bag from a hotel to line it also works well,

• Like 1

On our recent 16 day TA they offered TWO laundry specials at $29/bag.  We're Sapphire & were able to get two bags instead of the usual one per cruise.

Hint: FOLD your dirty laundry nice & tight.  You'd be amazed on how much more you can squeeze in versus just packing it in as tight as possible.

@valleyvillage GREAT idea re: duct tape!!!  I'll have to try that!!!

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just off the Prima, an 11 day cruise. The laundry bag was $29. I added it up by piece, and it would have been $67 and change if not for the laundry bag special.

Thank you for this information! we are getting ready for our upcoming 12night cruise. Just wondering how many days into the cruise was it when you received the bag?  Im definitely going to need to do more than 1 load traveling with 2 teenagers 😆 but good to know a rough idea of pricing! thank you!

9 hours ago, Ajnp said:

Thank you for this information! we are getting ready for our upcoming 12night cruise. Just wondering how many days into the cruise was it when you received the bag?  Im definitely going to need to do more than 1 load traveling with 2 teenagers 😆 but good to know a rough idea of pricing! thank you!

It was about halfway in. And you do not need to use it that day. We used ours IIRC 2 days after we got the bag. Turned it in to a steward in the morning, and the next morning when we came back from breakfast our laundry was returned all neat and folded.

I just measured a paper laundry bag that came home with us in the past.  It measures 21" long by 14" wide. (It's definitely not the size of a standard pillow case.)

Unfortunately, I don't recall how old this bag is, but it might be the "OLD one", which was a larger bag than the new ones!

I always pack a kitchen trash bag for all kinds of possible uses.  It works very well as a liner to your paper bag.  I always roll my clothes nice and tight to get the maximum use of the space.  But in all honesty, I rarely use the laundry option, unless it’s something heavy, like jeans, I wash things in the sink and let them dry in the shower.  I had a favorite top that faded and shrunk in the laundry, so since then I don’t chance sending things to the laundry unless I have to.

• Like 4

We travel carry-on only and we take long trips that usually include a cruise in the middle of the trip with a land leg on each end.  We definitely use the laundry service on the ship.  The fragile paper bags (nowhere near the size of a pillowcase!) rip easily.  The KEY is to line them with plastic bags (medium size) and then roll your items tightly, keeping track of what you are putting in the bag so you don't have to unpack it all again to fill out the itemized form.  When you are finished put several pieces of duct tape across the top of the bag to hold it all in.  You will be amazed how much you can fit in that little bag.  Also helps not to bring bulky clothing items like jeans and sweats.  I stick to leggings and light weight tops and my husband packs light weight travel pants and the thinner sort of polo shirts. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 11:51 AM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Amazon sells 5 yard pocket sized (flat) batches of duct tape, ideal for cruise and travel packing and it takes up minimal space.  Don't leave home without it!

I'm definitely going to look for these.  What I have always done is just wind some duct tape around a short pencil so it doesn't take up any space in the luggage.  But this sounds more convenient.  Duct tape is so handy!  Not just for closing the laundry bags but for those nights with a bit of rough seas where you have a cabinet door or something that keeps banging open and shut.  Can also tape shut a suitcase with a broken zipper. 

On 8/21/2023 at 2:11 PM, PhillyTravelBug said:

We are on day 5 of our 10 day cruise and was hoping for the special. Have not seen one yet. I will be a gold member in a day or two and may take advantage of the 50% off.

If you need laundry before the 'special' is officially advertised, you can always check with guest services. Since it is offered on just about every cruise, at a minimum they'll be able to tell you how many more days you need to wait, if at all.

You can also do more than 1 bag at that $29 price if you need to. For folks who are platinum, it's technically one bag per platinum member. So if both folks in a cabin are platinum, you're entitled to 2 free bags (one per person) on every sailing.

Going to be testing all of those options on our upcoming trip to help my sister & her family of 4 as we'll have the bigger thicker Haven bags and 2 for free, while they're in a regular room with the smaller bags. So planning on taking their heavier thicker items with our laundry bundle. 

DH and I always took advantage of the free laundry for platinum guests.  Sometimes we needed it for the cruise, or at the very least we used it to take home clean clothes so one less chore when we got home.  DH was a Marine, so he would roll the clothes up very tightly and carefully stuff the bag so no rips.  It was always amazing how much could be stuffed into the bags.  One of the great joys is getting the clothes back perfectly folded in the basket with tissue paper.  We would pick it up and put it dircctly into the suitcase.  As mentioned above, ask your cabin seward about the special, they can help.  Usually, they will take care of you if you take care of them.  I always tip when I first meet them, tell them what I want during the cruise (extra towels and lots of ice) and thank them in advance for their service.