Changes Since 2022?

JamieLogical

My husband and I are considering a sailing in June. We haven't sailed since September 2022 and I know a lot of the cruise lines made some cuts to services and quality during the early part of 2023. Can you tell me what cuts Celebrity has made? Do they still do evening turndown services outside of the Retreat? Is room service still included outside of the Retreat? Have they limited buffet hours and selection? Any other changes you have noticed since 2022?

25 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

My husband and I are considering a sailing in June. We haven't sailed since September 2022 and I know a lot of the cruise lines made some cuts to services and quality during the early part of 2023. Can you tell me what cuts Celebrity has made? Do they still do evening turndown services outside of the Retreat? Is room service still included outside of the Retreat? Have they limited buffet hours and selection? Any other changes you have noticed since 2022?

You must have stayed away from this board as well!  Even threads not devoted to discussing all the changes invariably devolve into discussions on the changes. 😆

• Like 4

Just now, What A Market said:

You must have stayed away from this board as well!  Even threads not devoted to discussing all the changes invariably devolve into discussions on the changes. 😆

I have been spending all of my time over on the MSC boards, as I sailed MSC twice in April and have upcoming cruises with them in September, October, and February. We are just now starting to plan what we want to do in May/June and I was looking at an ABC Islands sailing on the Beyond.

Prices on everything have gone up from drinks to excursions to automatic gratuities.

The menu selection in the MDR has been parred, too many pasta dishes. In a way I don’t understand this as the selection and variety in the Oceanview Cafe is simply outstanding as is the quality. We were on the Equinox last week and had a pretty good cruise, we did a bid on a move up to a veranda cabin, the cabin was good but the location was bad as we heard the constant beat of drums from the main showroom, we were forward on deck 6. Back to the dining room, the last 3 nights of the cruise our waiter informed us that the chef had prepared additional meals not on the menu, they included, roast duck, Beef Wellington and a veal chop on the last night, they were all very good. My guess is there were probably complaints about the selection. There was no lobster during the week unless you paid an up charge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

Prices on everything have gone up from drinks to excursions to automatic gratuities.

The menu selection in the MDR has been parred, too many pasta dishes. In a way I don’t understand this as the selection and variety in the Oceanview Cafe is simply outstanding as is the quality. We were on the Equinox last week and had a pretty good cruise, we did a bid on a move up to a veranda cabin, the cabin was good but the location was bad as we heard the constant beat of drums from the main showroom, we were forward on deck 6. Back to the dining room, the last 3 nights of the cruise our waiter informed us that the chef had prepared additional meals not on the menu, they included, roast duck, Beef Wellington and a veal chop on the last night, they were all very good. My guess is there were probably complaints about the selection. There was no lobster during the week unless you paid an up charge.

Are you able to answer my specific questions about turndown service and room service? Disappointing to hear there is no more lobster in the MDR and that duck was only available as an extra option not on the menu.

In March when I was on board there was turn down service (one night I didn't get it but the attendant came by extremely late so I was in the room by that point so told him not to bother).

Room service I didn't look at due to the charges for it well unless you want a continental breakfast which I don't eat.

Just now, Lena11033 said:

In March when I was on board there was turn down service (one night I didn't get it but the attendant came by extremely late so I was in the room by that point so told him not to bother).

Room service I didn't look at due to the charges for it well unless you want a continental breakfast which I don't eat.

So continental room service breakfast is still included at least? That's usually all the room service I would do anyway. We like to have coffee and a pastry before getting showered and dressed to go to real breakfast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

So continental room service breakfast is still included at least? That's usually all the room service I would do anyway. We like to have coffee and a pastry before getting showered and dressed to go to real breakfast.

Yep that is included so you should be good there.

Turndown still there, as is room service for continental breakfast 

just off Edge and enjoyed all the MDRs.  Plenty options every night.  Good to have waiters and assistants with time to talk and a wine waiter that remembers your preferences.

buffet good for breakfast and lunch 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Are you able to answer my specific questions about turndown service and room service? Disappointing to hear there is no more lobster in the MDR and that duck was only available as an extra option not on the menu.

If 7 nights or longer there is free lobster on one chic night.  The equinox does both 6 night and 8 night sailings and has been causing confusion 

Just first the pillow chocolate was reduced, it’s left first and last night and you have to request it for the other nights 

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If 7 nights or longer there is free lobster; equinox does both 6 night and 8 night sailing

Just first the pillow chocolate was reduced, it’s left first and last night and you have to request it for the other nights 

My husband will be sad about the chocolate. He stockpiled those and whenever I sailed solo, I saved them up and brought them home for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

My husband will be sad about the chocolate. He stockpiled those and whenever I sailed solo, I saved them up and brought them home for him.

At the moment you can still get it all but it’s apparently by request.  I have friends on the summit and they were told this is now fleet wide

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

That ABC Itinerary is a great one.  

Yeah, we did it on the Equinox in January 2022, I believe and we were just in Aruba and Curacao at least in April on the MSC Meraviglia. Will be back in Aruba on the MSC Divina in February.

6 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If 7 nights or longer there is free lobster on one chic night.  The equinox does both 6 night and 8 night sailings and has been causing confusion 

We’ve taken 5 Celebrity cruises since the startup and we received 2 chocolates mints for all 7 days on all 5 cruises and we also had twice a day room service, can’t say the same for our Holland America and Princess cruises though the Princess cruises were in November and December of 2021 when the lines were trying to return to pre pandemic cruising, in fact the first sailing we did was the first for the Caribbean Princess in 608 days, ship was only half full, everyone was masked up and there were some shortages here and there, no mints at all, we still had a great cruise and it was so good to be back on a cruise ship

38 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

We had twice a day room service on all 5 of our Celebrity cruises since the startup.

There was no charge for the roast duck nor for the Veal Chop or Beef Wellington.

3 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We’ve taken 5 Celebrity cruises since the startup and we received 2 chocolates mints for all 7 days on all 5 cruises and we also had twice a day room service, can’t say the same for our Holland America and Princess cruises though the Princess cruises were in November and December of 2021 when the lines were trying to return to pre pandemic cruising, in fact the first sailing we did was the first for the Caribbean Princess in 608 days, ship was only half full, everyone was masked up and there were some shortages here and there, no mints at all, we still had a great cruise and it was so good to be back on a cruise ship

This is apparently a brand new rule, no idea exactly when it first started and if it’s only on the summit or is what the summit crew is saying is true, that’s its fleet wide

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

This is apparently a brand new rule, no idea exactly when it first started and if it’s only on the summit or is fleet wide 

We sailed on the Equinox 3 times, the Reflection once and Infinity once and as I said we had morning and evening room service and mints every night on all 5 cruises.

5 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We sailed on the Equinox 3 times, the Reflection once and Infinity once and as I said we had morning and evening room service and mints every night on all 5 cruises.

When was the most recent of those 5? I've sailed on Celebrity 7 times since the restart, but the most recent of those was in September 2022 and I know some things have changed since then (as they have with most mainstream cruise lines).

17 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

When was the most recent of those 5? I've sailed on Celebrity 7 times since the restart, but the most recent of those was in September 2022 and I know some things have changed since then (as they have with most mainstream cruise lines).

We sailed on the Equinox last week dis-embarking on Saturday.

One thing I forgot to mention that cheese cake was always available every night in the MDR but that has been cutback to one night. Again I don’t understand with so many great desserts available in the OVC at lunch time, is having cheese cake every night on the menu in the MDR going to put Celebrity out of business. I don’t eat cheesecake every night but it’s my favorite dessert and it’s nice to know it was always there when you didn’t care for the other desserts on the menu.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I have been spending all of my time over on the MSC boards, as I sailed MSC twice in April and have upcoming cruises with them in September, October, and February. We are just now starting to plan what we want to do in May/June and I was looking at an ABC Islands sailing on the Beyond.

I’ve missed your live threads on the Celebrity boards!

We did ABC islands on the Apex.  It may have been our first post-Covid trip. Also first time on E class ship. Had a great time.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I was on the Millennium last November and the Summit (a charter) in February.  There was turndown service on both.  Room service was free on the Millie and about $12 per order on the Summit.

About the buffet... oh man.  😮  The Millie's buffet was fine - it was cut down on one night, but considering it was sailing half full, it was as good as expected.  Then around January 1, apparently they cut the dinner buffet back on ALL Celebrity ships.  The were howls of displeasure from many of us who dine at the trough and some trepidation about what was happening by many others.  But on my Summit charter sailing, the OVC for dinner was as good as ever.  And I haven't heard many bad stories about the buffet since.

There are other changes to Celebrity, as outlined by others, but they mostly don't affect me yet.  We'll see what happens on my next charter on the Summit next March.

45 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

the pillow chocolate was reduced, it’s left first and last night and you have to request it for the other nights 

This is news to me.  Thanks for sharing.  I like the chocolates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

As stated, I did say "brand new", therefore I'm under the impression this only started this month