Dyson Airstraight

I know they’re relatively new, but has anyone taken a Dyson airstraight on a Royal Caribbean cruise? And if so, did you have any issues with it powering up properly?

I took my GHD straight iron on Wonder in April, and it would not work. I thought it had broken but when I got home it was fine, so I’m assuming it was a “too low voltage to the cabin” issue.

I will be on adventures of the seas in a couple of weeks if that helps.

28 minutes ago, islandchicklet said:

so I’m assuming it was a “too low voltage to the cabin” issue.

No, it's likely a grounding issue. That unit and perhaps others are looking for a land-based grounding system to operate - the shipboard system is different. @chengkp75 can provide a better explanation if needed.

I didn't think any kind of irons (hair or clothes) were allowed on board RCCL ships; however, I could be mistaken. They may have overlooked it on your previous cruise. I'm looking at ship's policies, trying to find out.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, it's likely a grounding issue. That unit and perhaps others are looking for a land-based grounding system to operate - the shipboard system is different. @chengkp75 can provide a better explanation if needed.

Thanks, I guess I’ll leave it at home because it’s awfully big to lug around for it not to work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I didn't think any kind of irons (hair or clothes) were allowed on board RCCL ships; however, I could be mistaken. They may have overlooked it on your previous cruise. I'm looking at ship's policies, trying to find out.

Straight irons, curling irons, and hairdryers are all allowed. You may not bring a steamer or a clothes iron.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, islandchicklet said:

Straight irons, curling irons, and hairdryers are all allowed. You may not bring a steamer or a clothes iron.

Yep, you are correct! I finally found it on RCCL's site:

• Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense, and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy is curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However, "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Enjoy your cruise! Cheers!

• Like 1

And that makes no sense at all!   At all!  As I've said before, any number of things can be deadly...look at knitting needles for instance, Mrs Marple!  As can anything that gets hot.  What's the difference in matches lighters and a big lighter...duh.  Flame suit on  LOL

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

Totally agree with @BecciBoo!

OMG! Just googled the Dyson Airstraight and price is around $500.00!😲 What happened to $20 hair straighteners? LOL! Glad my hair is very short and manageable with a round brush.😉

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Totally agree with @BecciBoo!

OMG! Just googled the Dyson Airstraight and price is around $500.00!😲 What happened to $20 hair straighteners? LOL! Glad my hair is very short and manageable with a round brush.😉

Yeah, that’s why I was asking the question… Definitely don’t want to fry that sucker. Because that’s what I thought I did to the $300 straightener in April.  But it is a hair dryer/straightener if that makes it any better.😂😂

• Like 1

From what I've heard (I don't use these products myself, being 70 and baldish), many of the Dyson products don't work, inconsistently, on ships, and many ceramic type hair straighteners don't either.  I believe it is the electronics of the Dyson digital motor that does not like the shipboard grounding system (same with the ceramic straighteners).  And, this may be that the products work for one user on a given ship, and not for another user on the same ship a different day, or even for the same user on different days, since the existence or non-existence of a ground fault somewhere on the ship can affect how these electronics work, and these ground faults show up and disappear (repaired) almost randomly.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

From what I've heard (I don't use these products myself, being 70 and baldish), many of the Dyson products don't work, inconsistently, on ships, and many ceramic type hair straighteners don't either.  I believe it is the electronics of the Dyson digital motor that does not like the shipboard grounding system (same with the ceramic straighteners).  And, this may be that the products work for one user on a given ship, and not for another user on the same ship a different day, or even for the same user on different days, since the existence or non-existence of a ground fault somewhere on the ship can affect how these electronics work, and these ground faults show up and disappear (repaired) almost randomly.

Thanks! I guess I kind of understand. 

1 hour ago, jjsparkles said:

My Dyson will only work using the EU socket, I take an EU plug adapter with me. This socket has a higher voltage. Worked for me on Harmony and Anthem. Good luck 🙂

I don’t want to use the EU plug… If it fries it, the warranty will be voided.  I’m glad you’ve been able to do it with no problems.

6 hours ago, islandchicklet said:

I know they’re relatively new, but has anyone taken a Dyson airstraight on a Royal Caribbean cruise? And if so, did you have any issues with it powering up properly?

I took my GHD straight iron on Wonder in April, and it would not work. I thought it had broken but when I got home it was fine, so I’m assuming it was a “too low voltage to the cabin” issue.

I've never had a problem with bringing my flat iron on board...my GHD worked fine on multiple ships including most recently, the Anthem--I wonder what the issue was for yours?  Steamers and clothes irons get sent to the naughty room, but curling irons/flat irons are permitted. 

Teddie

Edited by teddie

2 hours ago, islandchicklet said:

I don’t want to use the EU plug… If it fries it, the warranty will be voided.  I’m glad you’ve been able to do it with no problems.

Dysons are not multi-voltage, so yours from the US will need to be in the US outlet, while jjsparkles, who is from Scotland, will have to use the EU outlet, and would not work at all on the US outlet.  Plugging a US Dyson into the EU outlet will definitely burn it out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Dysons are not multi-voltage, so yours from the US will need to be in the US outlet, while jjsparkles, who is from Scotland, will have to use the EU outlet, and would not work at all on the US outlet.  Plugging a US Dyson into the EU outlet will definitely burn it out.

Well, that makes sense…. I did not realize she was from Scotland but I sure don’t know enough about it to tell somebody they’re doing something wrong lol.

19 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Oh boy! then we would be reading of riots at the port trying to separate a woman from her hair iron!😁

• Haha 2

Just now, Arzeena said:

@SilkySal I haven't seen you two and Kay in a while. Hope we get to meet soon on another cruise.

Tom and I have 13 booked cruises through March 2025. Check my signature to see if you may be on any of them. Kay has not cruised since Covid due to other issues but is doing better these days and is anxious to return to cruising soon. She hasn't been on CC either and even forgot her password. LOL! I'm sure she'll be popping into CC fairly soon too. Hop on one of our booked cruises and sail away with us!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Tom and I have 13 booked cruises through March 2025. Check my signature to see if you may be on any of them. Kay has not cruised since Covid due to other issues but is doing better these days and is anxious to return to cruising soon. She hasn't been on CC either and even forgot her password. LOL! I'm sure she'll be popping into CC fairly soon too. Hop on one of our booked cruises and sail away with us!

I could not see your signature but I checked via your posts. We are booked on the Adventure Jan 5.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I could not see your signature but I checked via your posts. We are booked on the Adventure Jan 5.

Here are ours:

Next RCCL:10/21-11/02/23 Mariner B2B; 12/8-22/23 Adventure B2B; 02/10-24/24 Adventure B2B;

9/27-10/21/24 Radiance B2B Pacific Coast/Panama Canal; 12/27/24-01/10/25 Adventure NYE

B2B; 3/01-21/25 Adventure B3B.

Next Celebrity: 9/22/23 Solstice 9-nt Hawaii; 2/13/25 Constellation 9-nt NO.

Kind of went crazy with Adventure since the prices were really cheap!

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, islandchicklet said:

I have taken it on numerous cruises & it has been very much hit & miss--even on the same cruise! But I have yet to have it work consistently on any cruise. Not sure I'll bring it again.

• Like 1