MDR upcharge section

Elsammo46

I’m on the Spirit currently and I noticed that the MDR dinner menu had a section where you could order steaks from Cagneys for a small upcharge. I know other cruise lines do similar things, but I’ve never seen it from Norwegian. Does anyone know if this is a permanent change? It would be welcome! 

• Like 1

When the Prima was launched they had a fixed MDR menu with specials offered from speciality restaurants. However I understand that this has now changed to the usual rotating MDR menus.

It sounds like they are trying something similar again. Is the rest of the menu the usual rotating MDR menu or is it fixed?

7 hours ago, Elsammo46 said:

I’m on the Spirit currently and I noticed that the MDR dinner menu had a section where you could order steaks from Cagneys for a small upcharge. I know other cruise lines do similar things, but I’ve never seen it from Norwegian. Does anyone know if this is a permanent change? It would be welcome! 

Been around several years.  Nothing new here.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Been around several years.  Nothing new here.

Has it? I obviously haven’t paid enough attention when looking at the menus. Is this on all ships? I’m sure there haven’t been upcharge items on the MDR menus when I’ve been there.

3 hours ago, Lightnin42 said:

15 bucks for a Carney’s filet! Well worth the money.

For the 8 oz filet that costs like $40 at Cagney's? I know the à la carte prices at Cagney's are mostly meaningless, but do they have to make it so blatantly obvious?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have not seen it on any of our post-pandemic cruises. I exclude our two cruises on the Prima which still had the fixed menu with the specialty dish of the night when we cruised. I qualify that by saying we have only sailed on BA/BA+ ships. 

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

we were on the dawn it was on their mdr menu also. personally, i figure if a i want a steak at from cagney's, i'll  go there instead

I could not get reservations for Cagney, so it was a bonus for me at 15 bucks. Great deal.

• Like 2

Interesting, will check that out in a few short weeks from now - although, we've got multiple nights of specialty dining already booked, LOL.  The questions is what about the sides and the choice of steak sauce 😁 😄 😉  Included or not offered or for additional upcharge, curious minds like to know. 

This was most definitely not offered on our Epic TA this April.  How was the Cagney's fillet, if someone ordered it ... understood that food opinions are personal & subjective in nature. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

The questions is what about the sides and the choice of steak sauce 😁 😄 😉  Included or not offered or for additional upcharge, curious minds like to know.

Each of the three steaks is listed with a specific sauce and one or two specific sides, but you can probably mix and match (see here for example). It's not the full Cagney's menu, of course, and I really doubt that the food is actually prepared at Cagney's and sent down to the MDR, but who knows?

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, complawyer said:

we were on the dawn it was on their mdr menu also. personally, i figure if a i want a steak at from cagney's, i'll  go there instead

I could see the value in this. What if I am the only one out of my party of 4 wants a "better quality steak" ?  Certainly more cost effective if the other 3 diners are happy with MDR menu that evening.

57 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

I could see the value in this. What if I am the only one out of my party of 4 wants a "better quality steak" ?  Certainly more cost effective if the other 3 diners are happy with MDR menu that evening.

Agreed.  I can see the value potential.

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Interesting, will check that out in a few short weeks from now - although, we've got multiple nights of specialty dining already booked, LOL.  The questions is what about the sides and the choice of steak sauce 😁 😄 😉  Included or not offered or for additional upcharge, curious minds like to know. 

This was most definitely not offered on our Epic TA this April.  How was the Cagney's fillet, if someone ordered it ... understood that food opinions are personal & subjective in nature. 

Definitely not on my recent cruise on the Sun, but I will be checking for options on the Breakaway.