Panama Canal - Is Crystal Cancelling Panama Canal in December?

Yankeeclipper1

Once again name calling is childish.  By the way those of us who do enjoy sailing Crystal do not think the line is perfect.  And as one who loves sailing Crystal read my observations. I called them as I saw them.

Just wish people would grow up.

I will comment on what I do know.

And that is I have confirmed with an executive at Crystal that there will not be an impact on the 2024 World Cruise so if you are sailing from Miami to San Diego or starting in San Diego you will be fine.

Keith

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I'm certainly anything but a Crystal cheerleader, but I do have a couple of thoughts...

I don't know what Crystal is actually offering anyone, but the reports of how people FEEL about what's being offered here definitely indicates poor form.  They should be offered no-penalty moves to other sailings or full refunds in cases where dates and durations are changing.

OTOH, I think Crystal is absolutely doing the responsible thing by cancelling the sailings.  The Canal Authority is in a bind and the canal is operating at extremely reduced capacity.  The canal is a vital link between oceans that carries essential traffic and trade without timely alternatives.  With capacity choked down, every slot is precious, and if this persists long enough we can have major supply chain challenges (including with things like fuel).  

I don't doubt that people have worked hard for their vacations and they may have their heart set on particular experiences, but sailings by cruise ships just going back and forth through the canal for tourism reasons when other lines are returning those slots for more essential traffic to use would just be plain irresponsible.  Repositioning sailings are a different story, but transit series sailings should be a no-go.

Vince

Most would consider me a cheerleader. I agree 100% with you.

This is not just a port change.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Shoe just dropped - TA informed me Dec 2 Miami - Puerto Caldera - changed.  He is on the  phone with them now because their "offer" was outrageously ridiculous - as if it was just a dropped port.     New itinerary is Miami - Nassau - St. Martin - St. Kitts - BVI - San Juan.  Eleven night cruise just became 7 nights and the title Panama Cruise - eliminated. No thanks - I'll pass.

(KenzSailing - you may want to double check that or keep on top of it).

I am confused.

I was sent an e-mail that a friend of mine received from their TA saying the December 2 cruise went from 11 days to 14 days.  Do you have something in writing that says it is 7 days.  If what was sent to me is right it would be the next cruise which is less days.

44 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I am confused.

I was sent an e-mail that a friend of mine received from their TA saying the December 2 cruise went from 11 days to 14 days.  Do you have something in writing that says it is 7 days.  If what was sent to me is right it would be the next cruise which is less days.

Keith,

What I was sent so far show two cruises turned into 3.  Extra days (from what I understand) come into play if you choose future Panama Canal cruises that are all 16 - 18 days.  You can get those for the same price as you already paid - does not work for me.  All I would like - since the new cruises are not in anyway reflective at all of what I bought is a refund that will allow me to choose when and where I will book - so far that full refund (without a penalty) is elusive. 

Image preview

Edited by Yankeeclipper1
Error in days cited.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Keith,

What I was sent so far show two cruises turned into 3.  Extra days (from what I understand) come into play if you choose future Panama Canal cruises that are all 16 - 14 days.  You can get those for the same price as you already paid - does not work for me.  All I would like - since the new cruises are not in anyway reflective at all of what I bought is a refund that will allow me to choose when and where I will book - so far that full refund (without a penalty) is elusive. 

Image preview

Wow, that is a big change they are forcing you to accept or be penalized.  So sorry about this.  Not good.  I can see why they don’t want to refund you without a penalty as if others feel as you do, and as I would, they will be sailing with a very low occupancy on these new itineraries. The itineraries are no way comparable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisr said:

Waiting for Crystal cheerleaders to weigh in on this.  IMHO Crystal does not want to spend the dollars which would guarantee the transit if they can avoid it.  I get it, its a financial decision.  That being said the way they are handling it is poor form.  Transiting the PC is a bucket list for some and substituting a typical Caribbean cruise and a shorter duration at that does not cut it.  I feel very bad for the OP.  I also think its bad that the reservation department did not know about this when questioned.  They are the first contact TAs or guests have with Crystal and it doesn’t exactly give a positive impression that they were not advised.  They should have been briefed.  If the supervisor knew then front line should have been told.

While I agree with your comments about how poorly Crystal handled this change, I have to disagree with your speculation that this is a financial decision based on Crystal not wanting to spend the money to guarantee the transit. This is NOT an appropriate time for any cruise ship or pleasure craft to be attempting a transit. My sailing friends have all postponed their transits until things change down there.

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I'm certainly anything but a Crystal cheerleader, but I do have a couple of thoughts...

I don't know what Crystal is actually offering anyone, but the reports of how people FEEL about what's being offered here definitely indicates poor form.  They should be offered no-penalty moves to other sailings or full refunds in cases where dates and durations are changing.

OTOH, I think Crystal is absolutely doing the responsible thing by cancelling the sailings.  The Canal Authority is in a bind and the canal is operating at extremely reduced capacity.  The canal is a vital link between oceans that carries essential traffic and trade without timely alternatives.  With capacity choked down, every slot is precious, and if this persists long enough we can have major supply chain challenges (including with things like fuel).  

I don't doubt that people have worked hard for their vacations and they may have their heart set on particular experiences, but sailings by cruise ships just going back and forth through the canal for tourism reasons when other lines are returning those slots for more essential traffic to use would just be plain irresponsible.  Repositioning sailings are a different story, but transit series sailings should be a no-go.

Vince

BINGO! Excellently stated, on all accounts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keith, thank you for confirming with an executive at Crystal that there will not be an impact on the 2024 World Cruise sailings from Miami to San Diego or starting in San Diego….big sigh of relief for me!  I’m sure I’m not the only guest on one of those cruises that is concerned … suggest crystal send something to travel advisors and/or passengers on those 2 cruises letting them know that as of now crystal is planning to continue with the original itineraries…. 

6 minutes ago, happy cruising said:

Keith, thank you for confirming with an executive at Crystal that there will not be an impact on the 2024 World Cruise sailings from Miami to San Diego or starting in San Diego….big sigh of relief for me!  I’m sure I’m not the only guest on one of those cruises that is concerned … suggest crystal send something to travel advisors and/or passengers on those 2 cruises letting them know that as of now crystal is planning to continue with the original itineraries…. 

I've suggested just that.

I've gotten notes from several people asking me about this so between those notes and other postings here and on another site I reached out to them.

Keith

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I've suggested just that.

I've gotten notes from several people asking me about this so between those notes and other postings here and on another site I reached out to them.

Keith

Keith, I know you catch a lot of flak from some members in here about your close ties with Crystal execs, but I for one am super happy that we have someone to talk to who can bring the thoughts, suggestions, complaints and experiences of the passengers directly to those who need to know. I'm sure many cruise lines monitor what goes on here on Cruise Critic, but that's not the same thing as having an actual cruiser whom we can talk to directly, and who can take the pulse of the conversations in here and consolidate and summarize it for management. We're lucky to have you. I don't know of another "Keith" on any of the other cruise lines I have sailed. (There may be some, but I don't know them!) 😉 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Leejnd4 said:

Keith, I know you catch a lot of flak from some members in here about your close ties with Crystal execs, but I for one am super happy that we have someone to talk to who can bring the thoughts, suggestions, complaints and experiences of the passengers directly to those who need to know. I'm sure many cruise lines monitor what goes on here on Cruise Critic, but that's not the same thing as having an actual cruiser whom we can talk to directly, and who can take the pulse of the conversations in here and consolidate and summarize it for management. We're lucky to have you. I don't know of another "Keith" on any of the other cruise lines I have sailed. (There may be some, but I don't know them!) 😉 

Thank you so much LeeAnne. You are very kind.

The good news is most of the people on CC are great.

But some are........You know what I mean.

Thank you again.

Keith

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

If Keith, who’s taken well over 100 cruises on Crystal, isn’t one of their most cherished guests, I don’t know who would be! 

The fact that he loves helping us all navigate the Crystal waters, in such a gentle way, enhances the booking and cruising experience for many of us.

Other members of CC also are helpful and generous with their time. They don’t seem to generate the negative reactions, though. It’s a mystery to me, but I will stop there, so I won’t stoop to anybody’s level.

I will say it’s wonderful to have LeeAnne and Vince back, and many others. I like that ATA  embraces the attribute that some think is not a compliment. I agree, ATA. I am, too! 

I can’t get it to say AtA. Whew, got it.

• Like 9

Muriel no worries. Honestly there are just a handful of people who make it personal at any time and some have gone away to be replaced by a few.

Otherwise the comment about cheerleaders is actually directed at many of us.  Childish? Absolutely.  Third grade? Absolutely.  It's sort of similar to when someone can't make a logical point on an item go low use name calling in place of logic.

Keith

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Since we have a cruise coming up on another lux line, I've been hanging around their board.  The cruise company actively monitors it, and responds to posts.  Imagine that, a direct channel.  Seems to work just fine.  

Yes, you can’t beat a direct line rather than having a filter applied or relying on anonymous sources. That’s why I’d alway use my TA to get accurate and reliable info 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Since we have a cruise coming up on another lux line, I've been hanging around their board.  The cruise company actively monitors it, and responds to posts.  Imagine that, a direct channel.  Seems to work just fine.  

So what did they say? Is your cruise still going through the Panama Canal?

21 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Yes, you can’t beat a direct line rather than having a filter applied or relying on anonymous sources. That’s why I’d alway use my TA to get accurate and reliable info 

Funny. That’s what Keith always tells us to do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

It appears both of you missed my point entirely. Yes of course Crystal and other cruise lines read the boards. I assume neither of you believe that Keith is the ONLY way that Crystal gets feedback from passengers, or from Cruise Critic, right?

I also assume you realize Keith is not OUR only source of information about Crystal. We have Crystal itself, we have our TAs, we have other passengers. AND we have Keith. How is that a bad thing? He does seem to have insight into their thinking that we probably wouldn't get from them directly, and he often shares things with us that the cruise line might not.  He doesn't work for them, so he can speak more freely. It's unfortunate you don't recognize the value in that.

But this is the exact kind of comment directed towards Keith I was referring to. At least he's always a good sport about it! He doesn't need me to fight his battles...I just didn't appreciate having what was meant to be compliment to Keith, misconstrued. 😏

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

There are other Crystal itineraries that aren't sold out, right? But they aren't canceling those cruises. Only the ones with a canal transit. Given the current situation down there, that's gotta tell us something.

Also early December is also slow in terms of bookings.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

There are other Crystal itineraries that aren't sold out, right? But they aren't canceling those cruises. Only the ones with a canal transit. Given the current situation down there, that's gotta tell us something.

It's like the urban legend that airlines will cancel flights if there aren't enough passengers onboard.  Which at first, simplistic glance seems like it makes sense.  But then, when you dive deeper, you find that changing schedules is near the last thing any transportation company wants to do.

And if we want to look at cruiselines changing their schedules, Explora has to come to the top of the list.  Their current plan is so far off from what they initially sold.  Wholesale redeployments.  And just this week, they advised that there will be further significant changes to their 2024 and 2025 schedules.

• Like 4

As of today - Crystal Reservations Supervisor - "Crystal not giving refunds."  This is unsatisfactory for the reasons I previously mentioned - a total switch out of the cruise not reflecting anything of the original - this is being elevated to Senior Crystal Management.  Not a good way to build new customers and keep old ones. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

'He doesn't need me to fight his battles...

I agree.  I very much enjoy your POV, especially about transiting thru Florida.  But in some areas we have a different perspective.  I think we understand each other and can leave it at that. Wishing you smooth sailing.

• Like 1

It is for the reasons that are being posted that I recommended to Crystal yesterday before reading most of them that they provide more information on why the itineraries changed.  I have no idea why but realize that the fewer the details the more speculation there is (right or wrong).  As I mentioned earlier, I suggested that they get something out to those on WC 2024 that the Miami to San Diego cruise will go as planned.  My view is transparency is good on some things and this is one of them.  With that said over the years I have seen changes to itineraries by a range of cruise lines sometimes with an explanation and other times without one.

In terms of what they will do for those impacted let's see what happens.I have also leaned that sometimes these things change.

Keith

• Like 1

I know this is upsetting for some people but others I've heard from are fine with this change. As one said she went from a 11 day to 14 day cruise. I believe price the same and got a refund on port fees and more on board credit.  in her case when she changed the flight she got a credit from the airline.  

As she said it was not ideally what she wanted but the Crystal reps was very helpful and she is fine with all of this and now happy.

Just saying that some are fine with the changes.

Keith 

• Like 1