Harvest Caye: Which Activities?

GMIAC

I need suggestions for unique things to do on Harvest Caye. Monkey River Eco Tour? Beachy things? Water sports? Mangrove tour? 

Are we on our own for lunch, or is it provided by RSS?

Edited by GMIAC

Spice farm is great if offered and you like plants.  Monkey river can be interesting depending on what wildlife decides to show up.   We live here most of the year about 45 minutes north of Placencia.  

1 hour ago, GMIAC said:

I need suggestions for unique things to do on Harvest Caye. Monkey River Eco Tour? Beachy things? Water sports? Mangrove tour? 

We were there in Dec. it is a beautiful resort type island with beaches, shops, food places. There is a golf cart type transport from the ship as it is a long walk and very hot and humid. I think it also went around the island set up like a town. We were the only ship there that day so no crowds. We did the electric boat island tour because it was short and the heat is hard on us. It was nice there were only eight of us in a smallish cover boat and they served rum punch while we watched for manatees. The beach area looked very nice with loungers and umbrellas. The water sports toys were impressive. We will be there again next year and will do one of the boat tours again as the boats are new and very accessible from from the nice

marina.

IMG_0753.thumb.jpeg.8443360cc526778d5ec8143c86076d1a.jpegIMG_0808.thumb.jpeg.21a37798b018edd7b611e2f57fb12ed1.jpegIMG_0779.thumb.jpeg.68935239ae9b5a4a1a1a4ee7c97909a5.jpegIMG_0748.thumb.jpeg.7a2b45cddc6ea7b5d7469cf4c49c3b34.jpegIMG_0747.thumb.jpeg.5ff1bf6271061614bad4d6ae0429a487.jpegIMG_0750.thumb.jpeg.78f8491c0053b86012cf9b4ce15ba156.jpeg

Sorry these next ones are from the next port and for sone reason I can’t seem to delete them.

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1793.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

IMG_1563.jpeg

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Hi GMIAC, the electric boat tour is the one we signed up for the Dec 14 cruise.  Nothing spectacular, but should be pleasant.  Rum punch, anyway!

2 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Hi GMIAC, the electric boat tour is the one we signed up for the Dec 14 cruise.  Nothing spectacular, but should be pleasant.  Rum punch, anyway!

We also signed up for this tour on the Dec 14th cruise but were put on a waitlist. 

2 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

If you want to save the long walk down the pier I would mosey up to the Pool Bar and ask for a Rum Punch and enjoy the scenery; no tip required.  Last two times in Harvest Caye we have decided to stay onboard; pool bar was very relaxing.  

3 hours ago, cwn said:

We were the only ship there that day so no crowds.

We were there that day, too. The merchants were very glad we were shopping :-).

FYI, Harvest Caye is a NCL property.

9 minutes ago, RELS said:

We were there that day, too. The merchants were very glad we were shopping :-).

FYI, Harvest Caye is a NCL property.

It was really empty… you had your choice of loungers!😂

They is a cart transport offered to get from the ship to the island. There is no way I could have done that walk!

13 hours ago, cwn said:

It was really empty… you had your choice of loungers!😂

They is a cart transport offered to get from the ship to the island. There is no way I could have done that walk!

Thanks for the info on the cart transport.  DH and I are pretty good walkers and it may be a very pleasant walk...however, would there be the cart transport back to the ship?

38 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Thanks for the info on the cart transport.  DH and I are pretty good walkers and it may be a very pleasant walk...however, would there be the cart transport back to the ship?

I’ve watched a few videos on Harvest Cate and there are carts that bring people back. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Yes there are stops with benches on the island walkways. The carts make a circle starting from the ship and back to the ship. It is a long way from the ship’s gangway to the island entrance as you see in my picture in post #3 second picture. The ship docked there at the end of the pier.

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I didn’t see where the OP’s question about lunch was answered. Are Regent guests on their own for lunch, at charge?

Also, are the excursions included in the cruise fare, or are they extra?

I'd like to know this too - I'm the OP! It looks like restaurants and bars on the caye are pay-as-you-go.

Excursions are included in the cruise fare, but certain "premium" ones have a cost attached: things like private cabanas/villas, cooking classes/lunch, etc. You'll just have to look at the ones you're interested in to determine if there's a charge. Shipboard credits can be used for these premium offerings.

Edited by GMIAC

4 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

I'd like to know this too - I'm the OP! It looks like restaurants and bars on the caye are pay-as-you-go.

Excursions are included in the cruise fare, but certain "premium" ones have a cost attached: things like private cabanas/villas, cooking classes/lunch, etc. You'll just have to look at the ones you're interested in to determine if there's a charge. Shipboard credits can be used for these premium offerings.

You are right about the excursions (are as described) and .food on the island.

Food venues on the island are cash or CC only, you can’t charge food to your ship account.

You can always walk back to the ship and eat for free.

Food offered on the tour is included in the tour be it a free one or for fee. We had run punch on our free tour as we watched for manatees.

4 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Here;s another question. Are beverages included in the Caye?

No not unless it is something included in the tour. The Caye is just like any port as far as food, drink and tours are concerned.

Free drinks are on the ship.

Edited by cwn

3 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

My last question leads to another. Is it OK to carry some Diet Coke (and such) from the suite mini fridge on the Caye? I here it gets hot there.

Not so much hot as humid.  Rarely goes above 86 on the coast.  Best drinking lots of water as you will perspire.   A little cooler dec- mar.  

3 hours ago, cwn said:

Yes there are stops with benches on the island walkways. The carts make a circle starting from the ship and back to the ship. It is a long way from the ship’s gangway to the island entrance as you see in my picture in post #3 second picture. The ship docked there at the end of the pier.

Yes, I see now.  We could walk it, but. better not exert ourselves too much if we want to walk around the island.  Is there anything to see in pedestrian mode except stores & restaurants?  Some islands have pretty architecture worth enjoying.

1 minute ago, Camillus112 said:

Yes, I see now.  We could walk it, but. better not exert ourselves too much if we want to walk around the island.  Is there anything to see in pedestrian mode except stores & restaurants?  Some islands have pretty architecture worth enjoying.

This is a private (i.e., manufactured) island/stopover which really doesn't have a village per se, rather, there are buildings built as shops, restaurants, restrooms, etc. So I gather that, while pleasant, there's not much that's remarkable or historic about the place. 

1 minute ago, Camillus112 said:

You can only walk a little in the area reserved for cruisers. After that, it is blocked off for private residences that are not accessible, therefore you will not see any architecture.

I was at Harvest Caye a few years ago.  The pool was very nicely designed, zero depth, with little curves and shade.  My friend and I did the "fish spa" and enjoyed it. The "Beach" was awful - very rough. It wasn't sand - some type of ground up shells.  No way could you go barefoot.  Just my 2 cents worth.

• Thanks 1