Statue of Liberty

Luv2bcruising56

We’re leaving next Sunday, 9/3 on NCL Escape out of NY for New England and Canada. If the ship leaves on time (5:30), does anyone know approximately what time we pass the Statue of Liberty?  We have a reservation for dinner at 6:30 and I’m wondering if I should adjust it.

2 hours ago, Luv2bcruising56 said:

We’re leaving next Sunday, 9/3 on NCL Escape out of NY for New England and Canada. If the ship leaves on time (5:30), does anyone know approximately what time we pass the Statue of Liberty?  We have a reservation for dinner at 6:30 and I’m wondering if I should adjust it.

Somewhere between 5-15 minutes after departure. SoL will be on starboard side.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Somewhere between 5-15 minutes after departure. SoL will be on starboard side.

Respectfully, it's not possible to do it in 5 to 15 minutes. The ship's departure time is when the ship starts moving away from the pier and It takes at least five minutes if not longer just for the ship to back out of the pier and turn in the Hudson River to face south and get underway. The SOL is about 4 miles south of Pier 88 and the ship will be moving very slowly in the river. The minimum time from the ship's starting to leave the pier to passing the SOL is about 30 minutes  and can be more if there's a lot of traffic in the river.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luv2bcruising56 said:

You should be OK 

can you post   how long it took

We are sailing past in Oct 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luv2bcruising56 said:

What’s the rush for dinner? The sail away from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is one of the most beautiful in the world. And it certainly doesn’t end at the Statue of Liberty, nor is the Statue the only highlight.  You’ve got the majestic buildings of Manhattan (and especially lower Manhattan), and the sail under the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge (usually a good 45 minutes after the ship has left the dock).

Everyone’s interests vary, but speaking only for myself, I wouldn’t make a dinner reservation that early, and I’ve sailed out of Manhattan many times. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The minimum time from the ship's starting to leave the pier to passing the SOL is about 30 minutes  and can be more if there's a lot of traffic in the river.

The last time we left from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal I recall that once we passed the Battery our vessel was "racing" the Staten Island Ferry. While I don't recall the actual times, it must have taken about half and hour for our vessel to have reached the Battery because the ferries depart on the hour and on the half-hour. So that would put passage by Liberty Island somewhere around 40 minutes after departing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. (Yes, we did "win" the race against the ferry, a marvelous sight it was watching from aft the receding ferry against the city skyline.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mskaufman said:

As a previous poster noted, the sail out of (and into) Manhattan is great.  I would stay on deck through Coney Island (just past the Verrazano Bridge)

At least until passing under the Verrazano Bridge (30-45 minutes after leaving pier) but the next half hour or so is also a great time to be on deck- until dropping the pilot and passing Sandy Hook.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

At least until passing under the Verrazano Bridge (30-45 minutes after leaving pier) but the next half hour or so is also a great time to be on deck- until dropping the pilot and passing Sandy Hook.

I think the only time we reached the Verrazzano in anything close to 30 minutes was our delayed sailaway last January at 3AM, when there was almost no traffic on the river, and the ship was going all out.

A little factual tidbit about the name of the bridge — it was misspelled with only one Z in 1960, but that error was corrected in 2018. The bridge is named after European explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano. 

IMG_9764.thumb.jpeg.bd21cb767282bacbc51f92627f666d24.jpeg

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I think the only time we reached the Verrazzano in anything close to 30 minutes was our delayed sailaway last January at 3AM, when there was almost no traffic on the river, and the ship was going all out.

A little factual tidbit about the name of the bridge — it was misspelled with only one Z in 1960, but that error was corrected in 2018. The bridge is named after European explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano. 

IMG_9764.thumb.jpeg.bd21cb767282bacbc51f92627f666d24.jpeg

(photo by turtles06)

Right - 30 minutes minimum to about 45 minutes.  Either way, the NY sailaway beats early supper hands down.  My favorite was on HAL Noordam in January 2007 - near zero F, with ice floes in the river slowing us a bit , but magical lights.  Then by early afternoon the next day we were in the Gulf Stream, off the Virginia Capes - sunny and in the 70’s.

• Like 4