Now $1.50 for gelato in Windjammer

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Quote: In the Italian language, gelato is the generic word for ice cream and means simply "frozen", independent of the style, so every kind of ice cream is referred to as gelato in Italian. In the English language, however, the word gelato has come to be used to refer to a specific style of ice cream derived from the Italian artisanal tradition

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Yes it is.  Ice cream in the Windjammer has never been an extra charge.

You have a choice. No one is making you buy it. Yes, there are one or two nights where they had ice cream, but the quality was horrible. I don't even call the flavors vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry but rather white, brown, and pink. If you closed your eyes, you would not know what flavors you were eating.

Would I be willing to pay more for a better product, yes, but I decide the price point. For me $1.50 is okay to try it, and then delete from there for the future.

There's two orange juice in the WJ for breakfast, free, and fresh squeezed. I got the free if I want juice. To me the fresh squeezed is bitter and not worth it. The point is that I can choose.

3 minutes ago, mets123 said:

You have a choice. No one is making you buy it. Yes, there are one or two nights where they had ice cream, but the quality was horrible. I don't even call the flavors vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry but rather white, brown, and pink. If you closed your eyes, you would not know what flavors you were eating.

Would I be willing to pay more for a better product, yes, but I decide the price point. For me $1.50 is okay to try it, and then delete from there for the future.

There's two orange juice in the WJ for breakfast, free, and fresh squeezed. I got the free if I want juice. To me the fresh squeezed is bitter and not worth it. The point is that I can choose.

I totally agree that it is poor quality ice cream.

I think the point being made here is that yet another thing that used to be included is now an extra charge (even if it is poor quality).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I totally agree that it is poor quality ice cream.

I think the point being made here is that yet another thing that used to be included is now an extra charge (even if it is poor quality).

That's the claim. Yet I've never been on a sailing where they had ice cream for free in the Windjammer.

And given the OP hasn't explained which ship, or when, it may alternatively be a new thing introduced for a fee. Which isn't quite the same.

6 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

That's the claim. Yet I've never been on a sailing where they had ice cream for free in the Windjammer.

And given the OP hasn't explained which ship, or when, it may alternatively be a new thing introduced for a fee. Which isn't quite the same.

I've definitely seen included ice cream in the Windjammer on multiple cruises.  It wasn't every night, but they did have it.

I agree that the OP hasn't explained when or where this was seen.  It would be nice if they did.

Edited by time4u2go

3 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

We have seen ice cream in the WJ many times.  On Radiance class ships, we have seen a roaming sundae cart in the WJ at dinner.  We have seen make your own sundaes on Mariner in the past.  On Anthem, we have seen ice cream being scooped at the dessert station on the left hand side of the WJ.  We have seen it on other ships too but not going to go ship to ship.  This was all pre covid, haven't done much WJ since covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have seen ice cream in the WJ many times.  On Radiance class ships, we have seen a roaming sundae cart in the WJ at dinner.  We have seen make your own sundaes on Mariner in the past.  On Anthem, we have seen ice cream being scooped at the dessert station on the left hand side of the WJ.  We have seen it on other ships too but not going to go ship to ship.  This was all pre covid, haven't done much WJ since covid.

Still doing the same now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

That's the "punishment" for saying NO to a Sorrentos fee.  They've already raised prices in Playmakers and a few of the specialty dining venues.

That was done before the pizza fiasco. Get your facts straight.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

That's the "punishment" for saying NO to a Sorrentos fee.  They've already raised prices in Playmakers and a few of the specialty dining venues.

I took your answer/post as being a humorous one, not necessarily factual.  I liked it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Eh, doesn't impact me, but I can also see this likely reduces waste (those self serve soft serve were not pretty!), and parents likely appreciate the opportunity to decide to buy or not buy. 

In my experience the soft serve was still there, even when they was an ice cream cart. 

28 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Eh, doesn't impact me, but I can also see this likely reduces waste (those self serve soft serve were not pretty!), and parents likely appreciate the opportunity to decide to buy or not buy. 

Nah, parents HATE charged ice cream, just like they hate charged popcorn and hate charged pizza (which did not happen).  Parents want kids to eat free on a cruise b/c they paid for them and kids like cheap foods anyway.  Charging for the cheap kid foods is like sticking it completely to the parent who already paid for 3 square meals a day for the kid, but all they end up eating is the extra charge pizza, popcorn, and ice cream (which is the hallmark of almost all kid birthday parties, if you add cake, too)...

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

What ship is this picture from?  Do you have a link to this picture?

Not the OP but I was on Ovation 2 weeks ago and saw this. It is right by the specialty coffee counter (Starbucks) which also has an upcharge for those drinks. This was my first Royal cruise but a charge for specialty ice cream isn't a concern to me. The ship is literally overflowing with other sweets that are no extra charge so I was never even tempted to get that ice cream and didn't see anyone else ever getting it either.

See at 1:50 in this video from 2021 (not my video).  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHSoxFan said:

Not the OP but I was on Ovation 2 weeks ago and saw this. It is right by the specialty coffee counter (Starbucks) which also has an upcharge for those drinks. This was my first Royal cruise but a charge for specialty ice cream isn't a concern to me. The ship is literally overflowing with other sweets that are no extra charge so I was never even tempted to get that ice cream and didn't see anyone else ever getting it either.

See at 1:50 in this video from 2021 (not my video).  

Was the ice cream free when you were on Ovation or was there a charge?  The specialty coffees are definitely not free but there is other coffee that is at no cost.  We have sailed Quantum and Anthem, which are sister ships to Ovation, but have never seen that ice cream case on those ships.  I might have missed it on Quantum as we stayed away from WJ but we have sailed Anthem a lot and are regulars at that coffee bar.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, parents HATE charged ice cream, just like they hate charged popcorn and hate charged pizza (which did not happen).  Parents want kids to eat free on a cruise b/c they paid for them and kids like cheap foods anyway.  Charging for the cheap kid foods is like sticking it completely to the parent who already paid for 3 square meals a day for the kid, but all they end up eating is the extra charge pizza, popcorn, and ice cream (which is the hallmark of almost all kid birthday parties, if you add cake, too)...

I never hated the extras since I didn't have to give in to them, and there was more than enough free indulgences.  Mine still remember when my youngest was excited to order cookies from room service - now that would be an issue since they charge for room service lol!  I treated that same youngest and his GF to the DBP our last cruise in 2019 - now that's too steep for me to treat anyone to it lol!

• Like 1