QM2 EXCURSIONS NYC

Down-Unders

They do offer a limited number of excursions but are expensive. We have done a few roundtrips and always use the NYC ferry which is right next to the ship and goes to Wall Street and costs $4pp per journey. You can also get a free transfer to another ferry at Wall Street taking you to other parts of Manhattan as long as you transfer quickly. Very efficient and regular service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't done an excursion with Cunard, but it's a fairly easy place to get around by tube/subway, assuming you're reasonably mobile.

You can get the ferry across from Brooklyn to Manhatten to Pier 11 for Wall Street (Google Red hook - Manhatten ferry). That whole area is interesting, Battery Park, the 911 memorial (very moving), etc. Or you could get the subway up to mid town. It all depends what you want to see. Of course, if you want an overall view, then a tour may be best. It's a magnficant city. 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Thanks 1

The personalizer for my upcoming trip next October shows excursions that would only be applicable to in-transit folks from the preceding trip. These include a shuttle to Macys Herald Square and another to the Woodbury Outlets. I can log back in and get a list if anyone is interested.

• Thanks 1

To follow on @rakkor

Think about taking a 10-15 taxi/Uber ride form the Brooklyn Cruise terminal to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade with stunning views of Lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge. There is also a riverside park adjacent to the Promenade. You can also see some classic brownstone mansions around the Promenade and some nice eateries in Brooklyn Heights for lunch. 
If you want a tour with a little less hustle and bustle than going into Manhattan while still getting a New York experience then check this option out. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NYC is exactly the sort of place where I would not take a Shore Experience, since it's easy to get around, the distances are short, it's easy to return to the vessel and if the weather is bad there is going to be an easy Plan B. And C, and D and E.... Plus I doubt that Cunard can unlock any special doors in NYC.

But on my Personaliser I've got:

- New York Highlights $80 - coach trip, Rockefeller Center, Empire State etc - 4 hrs. limited walking

- Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island $110 - 6 hours

- Christmas in New York $75

- Woodbury Common Shopping Outlets $70 (yes, you pay them)

- Accessible New York highlights (sold out)

- Private Guide half day $485

- Private Car 4 hours (sold out but there are bound to be other options_

- Private Van 4 hours $1150 for up to 12 people

- New York Insight + top of Rockefeller $124 7.5 hours, 2.5 hours walking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The personalizer for my upcoming trip next October shows excursions that would only be applicable to in-transit folks from the preceding trip. These include a shuttle to Macys Herald Square and another to the Woodbury Outlets. I can log back in and get a list if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the info.... How much is the shuttle to Macys, Herald Square ?

• Thanks 1

I recently did the New York highlights coach tour and thought it was excellent. As a solo lady in her 60’s I  did not want to venture off alone. The guide was very knowledgeable, took us to extra places and we were out for nearly an hour extra. Also we had priority disembarkation and embarkation so was painless. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The 'Transfer to Macys' shows as $59 - duration is 7 hours

Thankyou so much x..... I've been a few times to NY and did the shuttle once before and wizzed around here and there but unfortunately cannot walk so far now, so I am a bit limited. I would like to try a nice eating place for lunch (within close proximity of Macys), any suggestions anyone?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VIRGINCRUISER1066 said:

Thankyou so much x..... I've been a few times to NY and did the shuttle once before and wizzed around here and there but unfortunately cannot walk so far now, so I am a bit limited. I would like to try a nice eating place for lunch (within close proximity of Macys), any suggestions anyone?

There's Rowlands Grill in the lower level of Macys, along with a number of other dining options in the store. There is a huge number of informal eateries around Macy's.

https://www.patinagroup.com/rowlands/menu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone, we have been to NYC and to tell you the truth my wife and I have worked it out that it would take us a good 6 months to see the great city. A day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art,   Police museum,, Ellis Island Museum, full day at Ground Zero Memorial .........But what takes up so much of our time is asking locals for directions or just striking up a conversation in the City Library. They say the Irish can talk and so can the New Yorkers and we love every minute of it. Having seen little of the suburbs Little Italy.  Hells Kitchen, Harlem ........ we have decided to try a Cunard City Tour as we are only in for the day.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I recently did the New York highlights coach tour and thought it was excellent. As a solo lady in her 60’s I  did not want to venture off alone. The guide was very knowledgeable, took us to extra places and we were out for nearly an hour extra. Also we had priority disembarkation and embarkation so was painless. 

Thank you for your reply this is one of the coach tours we are looking at.

5 minutes ago, GaryEssex said:

Just looked and our for our round trip in Oct 2024 are now up..... Although no Macy's trip is shown..... Think we going to take a walk into Le Harve on our own too!

There was a shuttle to the city centre when we were in Le Havre a few years ago. The market it splendid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Oh good I am doing a 3 nighter this weekend to Le Havre. Hope it’s still running.

It’s a permanent covered market where everyone shops for food. I’m not sure what you can import post Brexit, though.