Beware Canadians Travelling to Egypt - New Process for Visa

CDNPolar

11 hours ago, ALD18 said:

Our tour operator has informed us to hold tight on applying and are apparently going to try and do a bulk order of visa requests for us.  However, some people have already gone ahead and utilized the current e-application method.  It is still working apparently.  They filled it out, input the February 2024 dates of arrival and departure, paid $90 US, got confirmation of success, and have visa and receipt of payment.   Sounds like they are good to go.  My concern, even though it sounds solid, is whether it would still be valid after the changes are applied.  Sounds like they are good to go, but still a bit cautious of going down that path as things appear to be changing fast and furious.

The fact that the e-application method still accepts dates beyond October 1st, will not mean that the e-visa will be valid.  It is an operating system currently and I would not rely on a visa being granted for a future date as a "grandfathered" valid visa.  

What gnome12 says...

The sad reality of this situation is that this confusing and not well communicated roll out of a new date and requirement for Canadians is going to cause a lot of stress for all those travelling to Egypt in the near future.

I would suggest as a precautionary step to investigate your cancelation and trip interruption insurance to see if they will cover you for cancelation if you cannot get a Visa because of these new pending requirements?

I know that cancelation insurance that we hold and have purchased in the past have a Visa clause both as an inclusion in the insurance and as an exclusion.  You will have to figure out whether you have a claim based on this or not.

For those that may have paid for their cruise also check when penalties kick in, as often you pay in advance but actual penalties don't kick in until perhaps 120 days from sailing.

If I were in this situation with an Egypt trip coming up in the next few months I would be investigating all these options and making sure I know key dates so that I could make a decision.

I would also investigate revising the dates of my sailing to a later date to ensure that I could comply with the new regulations.

I am certain that all cruise companies are just now becoming aware of this and the Canadian market is much smaller to them, but they should be starting to investigate this too.  They don't want you to lose out, but this is out of their control also.

There is a Facebook page for the Egyptian embassy in ottawa.(  Look for the flags on their picture.   There seems to be a second unofficial one. ) There is a post from may 10 that has a link to a form to fill out.   Lots of chat in the comments of the posted diagrams some from people who have paid 50 and some 150 dollars.   On my cruise in January there is one port of call in Egypt.   I haven't yet seen anything with an official process.  Some hearsay in those comments that says you can mail it in but nothing published official that I've seen

Following this post

12 hours ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

I am on a cruise in October. I have no idea what to do. I called and emailed the embassy, but am not feeling confident that we'll even be able to board the ship.

I feel your frustration as this situation somewhat feels like travel post covid when every requirement was changing and you had to understand the requirements for your destination, the country or city you were transiting through etc.

Rely heavily on your cruise line, your TA if you are using, or the tour company you are using.   Push these people to a solution.  They don't want you to cancel, and they should be heavily invested in helping you to find a solution, even though Visas are largely your responsibility.  They should be invested to help since this is an unexpected change that no one expected.

Here is another discussion in River Cruising that you should follow too in case there is different information posted there... if you are not already watching this one.

Good luck!

• Like 1

When the news came out several days ago, only "Visas on Arrival' for Canadian citizens were affected. You could still get e-visas.

I rushed to apply for our e-visas at a cost of $165US (Non refundable) through their e-visa portal. Since then, and during our wait for the visas to be approved, the Egyptian government further announced that as of October 1st, all e-visas issued to Canadians would be null and void.

Wouldn't you know it, I received our e- visas that day! What irony.

W have been thoroughly screwed by the Egyptians.

We are travelling by cruise ship to Egypt mid October. I talked with my online agent who, in turn, contacted Celebrity Cruises. Apparently all of them have their heads in the sand and do not have a handle on the situation. Every time you contact them, you get a different answer.Very frustrating to say the least.

Neither the Egyptian Embassy in Ottawa or Montreal are answering their phone. Obviously they have been inundated with calls.

I hate the thought of going through the trip interruption insurance provided by my CC company but that may be the only thing left to do.

16 minutes ago, Cruisy Guy said:

When the news came out several days ago, only "Visas on Arrival' for Canadian citizens were affected. You could still get e-visas.

I rushed to apply for our e-visas at a cost of $165US (Non refundable) through their e-visa portal. Since then, and during our wait for the visas to be approved, the Egyptian government further announced that as of October 1st, all e-visas issued to Canadians would be null and void.

We are travelling by cruise ship to Egypt mid October. I talked with my online agent who, in turn, contacted Celebrity Cruises. Apparently all of them have their heads in the sand and do not have a handle on the situation. Every time you contact them, you get a different answer.Very frustrating to say the least.

Neither the Egyptian Embassy in Ottawa or Montreal are answering their phone. Obviously they have been inundated with calls.

I hate the thought of going through the trip interruption insurance provided by my CC company but that may be the only thing left to do.

Trip interruption insurance may not cover this situation, check your policy.

2 hours ago, Cruisy Guy said:

The Egyptian decision to no longer recognize the visa after September 30 that sounds like a perfect case to raise with your credit card company.

9 hours ago, Cruisy Guy said:

Frustrating to say the least and I feel for your situation.   

Please keep us updated as to how things go for you.

Question for me is how long has the implementation dates been known?  By our research it sounds like about month, month and a half.  It apparently is a political retribution by Egypt on our visa requirements on their people.  Did Egypt just make a snap, fast tracked decision to implement it.  It appears to be having a serious affect on dual citizen Egyptians nationals travelling on Canadian passports.  Compounded by the lack of knowledge and confusion by the tourism industry, who one would think would have been very proactive finding out what was happening, and lack of reactions from the Egyptian agencies here in Canada.  Their inability or refusal to interact with the public seems strange unless they are short staffed and are being swamped with requests.  Something looks fishy here.  Hmmmmmmmm.

Whether fishy or not, the Canadian Government travel site has now updated to say the following so I think that we have to take this as serious...

Entry.svgEntry and exit requirements

New entry requirement

Starting October 1, 2023, Canadian passport holders will not be able to obtain a visa online before travelling to or upon arrival in Egypt. You will be required to obtain a visa from an Egyptian embassy or consulate abroad.

If you travel to Egypt on an electronic visa on or after October 1, 2023, your visa will be considered void, and you will be denied boarding and/or entry into Egypt.

If you are planning to travel to Egypt, you should contact the nearest Egyptian embassy or consulate before you go.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Whether fishy or not, the Canadian Government travel site has now updated to say the following so I think that we have to take this as serious...

New entry requirement

Starting October 1, 2023, Canadian passport holders will not be able to obtain a visa online before travelling to or upon arrival in Egypt. You will be required to obtain a visa from an Egyptian embassy or consulate abroad.

If you travel to Egypt on an electronic visa on or after October 1, 2023, your visa will be considered void, and you will be denied boarding and/or entry into Egypt.

If you are planning to travel to Egypt, you should contact the nearest Egyptian embassy or consulate before you go.

WOW!!!!!  Short notice and harsh:(

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

New entry requirement

and per Norwegian, visa not required. 

IMG_3441.jpeg

check out the facebook post of the

ECBN - Egyptian Canadian Business Network and the Embassy of Egypt in Ottawa

(this link was posted on another group I belong to)

Read all the comments on this post as they seem to have some information in the comments

However they don't mention the link to any form in the ECBN post.   

and they don't say how long the visa's are valid for

But they do say they will post answers to questions on Tues when they can find out more.

I find it concerning that the official source of info at the embassy is not actually publishing official information and all we get is second hand 

Note I'm not an official source either.  just passing along what I've found.   I'm still waiting to hear back from SilverSea.   And I also have an email sent to the Egyptian embassy but so far ...crickets.  

There is a link to A form on the Egyptian Embassy facebook page BURIED on a May 10th post.

I have no idea if that is the correct form for the new process but that is the only "official" source for anything I have seen and it is older.  Note you have to be on a laptop to download their form. people are saying it doesn't work to their phone

There is a big info graphic on the Egyptian Embassy facebook and if you read the comments there, there are some phone numbers and a way to bypass the "message" prompt when phoning.  

I received an email response back from the e-visa "contact us".  they say they can only comment on e-visas. so no joy there

The Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt in Ottawa is pleased to offer its warmest greetings to the Egyptian community in Canada, and is honored to inform that in the framework of the updating of the consular working system to facilitate citizens present in the embassy's specialization area to speed up their consular transactions, forms and steps of all consular transactions have been listed on the embassy’s Facebook page on In the direction of the elbow.
This, and the Embassy is pleased to brief the citizens of the means of communication with the Consular Department through the following alternatives:
Embassy address for postal transactions
• 454 K1N 6R3 Laurier Avenue East Ottawa ONTARIO
Consular Department Phone:
613-368-4910 (passports - certifications - agencies - driver's license translation)
613-368-4915 (Visas - Criminal case sheet - Consular certificates - Palestinian travel documents - Marriage and divorce documents - Death certificates - Recruitment topics and national number)
Consular Department Email: embassy. ottawa1@mfa.gov eid
The different forms can be viewed through the following links:   
[...]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Alert for those travelling to Egypt after October 1st, 2023
If you are a non-Egyptian travelling to Egypt , you will not be able to get a visa at the Cairo International Airport as was the case in the past.
A travel visa must be obtained before traveling either from the:
1-Egyptian Embassy in Ottawa. 454 Laurier Avenue East, Ottawa, k1N 6R3
Opening hours, drop off 10-12am, pick up 2-4pm
2-the Egyptian Consulte in Montreal. 1501 Ave McGill College, 10th floor, Office 1000, Montreal H3A 3M8. Opening hours 9:30am to 12:30pm Monday to Friday. Indoor parking is available at the building from the side street.
You will need to bring your passport, 2 pictures, a confirmation of the hotel reservation. $50 for a tourist visa or $150 for business or other purpose. Payment in cash.
The process should take a couple of days.
Please note that this message does not apply to Egyptians travelling with Canadian passports. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Maryanncc said:

and per Norwegian, visa not required. 

IMG_3441.jpeg

NCL clearly needs to update their website. Interestingly, its webpage dealing with visa requirements  says the "Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with VisaCentral to provide our guests with comprehensive, accurate information regarding travel visas." It's too bad that NCL doesn't visit Visa Central's website to get comprehensive, accurate information. 🙄 

• Like 1

We are visiting Egypt mid October aboard the Celebrity Apex.

I contacted our tour operator, Ramisside Tours. ,this is the response I got from them.

"Okay, the official update is about Canadians arriving by flight to Cairo airport or any airport in Egypt. but as a cruise passenger you don't need a visa you only get a transit stamp in your passport. this is only for the passengers from the cruise ships you don't need a visa because you are not staying in Egypt you are just making a trip while your cruise stops in Egypt."

I don't know if they are just covering their asses or the info they have from the Egyptian authorities is correct. Right now, nobody is sure what is going on. Ether way, we are going on the cruise hoping for the best.Going through the embassy's red tape is not an option.

Edited by Cruisy Guy

5 hours ago, Cruisy Guy said:

We are visiting Egypt mid October aboard the Celebrity Apex.

I contacted our tour operator, Ramisside Tours. ,this is the response I got from them.

"Okay, the official update is about Canadians arriving by flight to Cairo airport or any airport in Egypt. but as a cruise passenger you don't need a visa you only get a transit stamp in your passport. this is only for the passengers from the cruise ships you don't need a visa because you are not staying in Egypt you are just making a trip while your cruise stops in Egypt."

I don't know if they are just covering their asses or the info they have from the Egyptian authorities is correct. Right now, nobody is sure what is going on. Ether way, we are going on the cruise hoping for the best.Going through the embassy's red tape is not an option.

This seems wrong to me as if you are stopping in Egypt, then why would arriving on a cruise ship be different than by air?

Also in other discussion topics somewhere on CC, it has been asked that Okay, so you don't have the Visa, then you don't disembark in the country - right?  This was pushed back on because there is no way for a cruise ship to know or to bar someone from disembarking the ship in Egypt based on holding a Visa or not.

I think that this is taking the cruising industry by storm and with such short notice that they don't know what is up and what is down.

There apparently is some updated information from Egyptian embassy on their Facebook page.  Find it strange they are updating via it as some people, including me, does not have Facebook access.  One glaring tidbit was apparently you could get the visa either in Ottawa or Montreal satellite building but their business hours were only 9:30-12-30 am Monday thru Friday.  Our tour operator has suggested waiting a bit longer and utilizing one of the visa application services, but previous looks at those services were fast/efficient but some are pretty expensive for the service.  This whole mess is causing us to seriously consider cancelling our February trip.  This whole thing is a mess and we're really concerned everything will be ironed out by then.  I truly feel sorry for you fellow CC'ers who are scheduled in October and such.  Best of luck and hopefully it works out for you.

Personally, I believe all visa issues should come ONLY from the govt official entities issuing them . The scary thing is I got my evisa online on Aug 31 when was already decided it will be null and void. !! No communication from anybody, to date. I learned about the issue here on this forum yesterday. Thanks for posting. I am scheduled for an Oct 1 !!! cruise with 2 stops in Egypt. I cannot board  the cruise ship unless I have all the visas.

The Canadian news had an article stating is some sort of reply to the Canadian govt refusing entry to some Egyptian nationals . It should have been handled differently, at least with some regard for visas already issued. Im supposed to leave in 3 weeks, its a headache i didnt need.

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This seems wrong to me as if you are stopping in Egypt, then why would arriving on a cruise ship be different than by air?

Apples and oranges. A cruise stop is more like an airport transit for connecting flights, not a country visit. 

A number of countries have different regulations for cruise day visitors.

1 hour ago, oceanlovertoo said:

Personally, I believe all visa issues should come ONLY from the govt official entities issuing them . The scary thing is I got my evisa online on Aug 31 when was already decided it will be null and void. !! No communication from anybody, to date. I learned about the issue here on this forum yesterday. Thanks for posting. I am scheduled for an Oct 1 !!! cruise with 2 stops in Egypt. I cannot board  the cruise ship unless I have all the visas.

The Canadian news had an article stating is some sort of reply to the Canadian govt refusing entry to some Egyptian nationals . It should have been handled differently, at least with some regard for visas already issued. Im supposed to leave in 3 weeks, its a headache i didnt need.

We are currently travelling on a cruise ship and will continue to do so until October when we switch to an Azamara cruise with stops in Egypt.  Therefore, we can't apply at an Egyptian embassy or consulate as we're on a ship.  We don't know if Azamara will let us board.  How did you find out that your cruise line won't let you board without an Egyptian visa?

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Also in other discussion topics somewhere on CC, it has been asked that Okay, so you don't have the Visa, then you don't disembark in the country - right? 

This argument has been made numerous times, but it holds no water. There have been many examples here on CC of passengers requiring a visa to enter Canada on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle stopping in Victoria being refused boarding as they hadn't bothered to get a visa. Their argument that they'd stay on the ship is futile, as they would be consider by CBSA as having entered Canada, even if they remain aboard.

8 minutes ago, travelordie said:

We are currently travelling on a cruise ship and will continue to do so until October when we switch to an Azamara cruise with stops in Egypt.  Therefore, we can't apply at an Egyptian embassy or consulate as we're on a ship.  We don't know if Azamara will let us board.  How did you find out that your cruise line won't let you board without an Egyptian visa?

Assuming that Egypt doesn't change its mind about allowing e-visas for Canadians, your best bet is to see whether there is an Egyptian embassy or consulate at any of the ports you will be visiting during your current cruise. There is no requirement for you to apply in Canada. 

14 minutes ago, travelordie said:

From my cruise line. They require all ports to have as required documentation at embark time.. Its up to the traveller to have them . If the port ppl will overlook- is another matter. You should check with your cruiseline just in case.

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Assuming that Egypt doesn't change its mind about allowing e-visas for Canadians, your best bet is to see whether there is an Egyptian embassy or consulate at any of the ports you will be visiting during your current cruise. There is no requirement for you to apply in Canada. 

There is an Egyptian embassy in Athens and we could drop off our passports for a few hours.  The problem is that they want them for 4-5 days.