Beware Canadians Travelling to Egypt - New Process for Visa

CDNPolar

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Assuming that Egypt doesn't change its mind about allowing e-visas for Canadians, your best bet is to see whether there is an Egyptian embassy or consulate at any of the ports you will be visiting during your current cruise. There is no requirement for you to apply in Canada. 

yeah, when in Rome ...i want to get my visa ..Or maybe should just stay another 12 days in Italy..Hmm

The clarifying measure would be to issue some sort of amendment to an already  approved and paid for e visa, as laws are not applied retroactively.

Update for MY situation.  

My trusted travel agent just heard back from the cruise company Silversea that just replied via email from their port agent dated today re my concerns.  Apparently, the rules re who needs what kind of visa re transit or visitor etc are different depending on different situations and how long the ports, how many and start/end of cruise etc etc etc.  Our stop is only one day, one stop in Egypt.   
Apparently, the rules re cruises and who needs a visa are so complicated that this is why alot of cruiselines say they will take care of visas for Egypt.    Also apparently the rules re who needs a visa have not changed just how you need to get one if you do need one. 

The port agent said basically with the new situation  and for my cruise in January there is no extra requirement for me to obtain an independent extra visa even for Canadians and if there is they ( the cruise line ) will take care of it which is what they said in the cruise documents from before still stands.  

So that might explain some of the conflicting information. At least now my TA has something in writing so if I  get denied or have to cancel later with penalty at least I have some sort of official or quasi official stmt from the cruiseline other than a website info page and my TA has written info to support me with cruiseline recourse ( along with all her other clients in this boat )

So...  still haven't heard back from my email to the embassy but thought I'd share that tidbit

Unfortunately official sources seem to be far and few between. 

get things in writing if you can.    

• Like 2

5 hours ago, travelordie said:

There is an Egyptian embassy in Athens and we could drop off our passports for a few hours.  The problem is that they want them for 4-5 days.

If you were you contact them and explain the problem that you are facing, I wonder if they might make an exception and provide same-day service. Just a thought.

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If you were you contact them and explain the problem that you are facing, I wonder if they might make an exception and provide same-day service. Just a thought.

Thanks.  I was planning to ask that question.  If the answer is no, we’ll remain in Greece for the duration of the Azamara cruise.

3 minutes ago, travelordie said:

Thanks.  I was planning to ask that question.  If the answer is no, we’ll remain in Greece for the duration of the Azamara cruise.

Good luck to you and all the other cruisers caught up in this diplomatic squabble. 🤞

• Like 1

All very confusing and complicated for everyone on a trip or about to embark...

Not saying that anyone's information shared here is not accurate, but for your own sake and making sure that you are preserving the cost outlaid for your trip that you are checking your own verified accurate sources.  

My understanding is that a Visa or any entry requirement is ultimately the passenger responsibility, so don't rely on the cruise line or tour company to tell you that they will take care of it, because in the end you could be out the cost of the trip, as cancelation insurance may not cover something just because you have an email from a cruise line.

I am also not suggesting that the cruise line is not correct, but in a couple of different discussions here about this, there is so much conflicting information that I don't think any source other than the Egyptian Embassy knows for certain.

Now if only the Canadian government had addressed the issues that Egyptians have getting visas to enter this country, we would not be in this mess. I speak from experience. My son-in-law (10 years) is Egyptian. He has applied twice for a visitor's visa to come and meet our extended family. Both times he was denied, despite his having: a job, a home, family in Egypt, a supportive letter from me detailing the events of the visit and a promise to get him back on the plane to Egypt at a specific date and time. I had our MP look into what we could have done differently, and they found nothing that should have triggered a denial of visa. It was an arbitrary decision by someone with too much power. 

At this time, I think the best course of action is to contact our government directly to negotiate with Egypt NOW for the convenience of Canada's citizens.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:33 AM, gnome12 said:

Bookbabe’s first trip is June 2024 and the second is March 2025. I’d be astounded if she had applied yet. Particularly, since this is a retaliatory move by the government of Egypt against Canada and Canadians, it may change before departure.

Visas are only good for 6 months.

On 8/31/2023 at 1:20 PM, mom says said:

Oh, and good luck contacting the Egyptian  Embassy in Ottawa for clarification. We tried several times yesterday. Their published website was unavailable. Their phone number wasn't answered and the voice box was full, and so far we haven't received a reply to our email.

We don't travel to Egypt until January, but really hope the Embassy isn't planning on stonewalling Canadian applicants.

That has always been our experience, just to get simple answers.

14 hours ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Has Azamara confirmed that you can't board the ship?

The following just appeared on our Azamara Journey roll call for October 27th:

"Notice to all Canadian passport holders...

I just spoke to an agent at Azamara and she told me that we would be denied boarding if we do not have a VISA for Egypt.  It we cancelled the cruise today we would face a 75% cancellation fee on the amount we paid.  If we wait until 30 days from departure to cancel we will face a 100% cancellation fee."

51 minutes ago, travelordie said:

The following just appeared on our Azamara Journey roll call for October 27th:

"Notice to all Canadian passport holders...

I just spoke to an agent at Azamara and she told me that we would be denied boarding if we do not have a VISA for Egypt.  It we cancelled the cruise today we would face a 75% cancellation fee on the amount we paid.  If we wait until 30 days from departure to cancel we will face a 100% cancellation fee."

Wow... this is harsh.  This is no one's fault and you would think that a cruise line would have some mercy for folks caught in this kind of mess.  

Investigate your travel insurance to see if there is a way through that, OR, if you paid by credit card, then look at their cancel policy.

We did learn through experience however that the Credit Card thing - for us anyway - because we paid the bulk on the credit card, but there were airline points involved, the CC would not cover us as you had to pay the full amount on the CC.

2 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Wow... this is harsh.  This is no one's fault and you would think that a cruise line would have some mercy for folks caught in this kind of mess.  

Investigate your travel insurance to see if there is a way through that, OR, if you paid by credit card, then look at their cancel policy.

We did learn through experience however that the Credit Card thing - for us anyway - because we paid the bulk on the credit card, but there were airline points involved, the CC would not cover us as you had to pay the full amount on the CC.

Our travel insurance clearly states that this type of situation is not covered.  Our current plan is to go to the Egyptian embassy in Athens a couple of days before boarding and hope they can issue a visa.

It is shocking that Azamara has not informed passengers of this new development.  Not all passengers are on Cruise Critic.

9 minutes ago, travelordie said:

Our travel insurance clearly states that this type of situation is not covered.  Our current plan is to go to the Egyptian embassy in Athens a couple of days before boarding and hope they can issue a visa.

It is shocking that Azamara has not informed passengers of this new development.  Not all passengers are on Cruise Critic.

Let's hope that Azamara will see some sense when it comes to this.  To impose a harsh cancellation fee on you when this requirement was dropped so short notice.

Is there the possibility that Azamara will allow you to revise your trip to a later date (without penalty) so that you can get the necessary documents and Visa in place?

There are going to be a lot of "Azamaraians" that will be caught in this kerfuffle.

32 minutes ago, travelordie said:

I would not wait until Athens to get the VISA 

I would get it ASAP  I know it is difficult  but  keep trying  before you leave Canada

JMO

47 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

This is no one's fault and you would think that a cruise line would have some mercy for folks caught in this kind of mess.  

What would be "mercy"? Having passengers lacking required visas could result in the ship being denied entry.

The cruise line has nothing to do with the change and its very good lawyers anticipated such situations when writing the cruise contract and placed the entire liability on passengers.

Wow, harsh indeed.  We were wondering how the cruise lines would handle this.  Apparently it is business as usual for the cruise lines as per their established guidelines.  Luckily you have a bit of wiggle room, not much, before you go.  We started exploring some of the online agencies that get Visa's for you and they appeared to be willing to do it.  I started to fill out the forms on one to see what costings were and initial, fast turn around, with phone support was about $350cdn per visa.  Some appeared to be cheaper, but not sure on their reputations or speed.  Bit of an unexpected additional cost, but would get you going.  Otherwise, I would try and contact your local federal elected official and deal with them directly.  See what they can/will do for you.  Best of luck regardless.

36 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would not wait until Athens to get the VISA 

I would get it ASAP  I know it is difficult  but  keep trying  before you leave Canada

JMO

Unfortunately, @travelordie  is currently cruising and Athens offers the first opportunity to acquire a visa under the new rules. An e-visa that could be acquired while aboard would not be valid come October 1st as things currently stand.

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Unfortunately, @travelordie  is currently cruising and Athens offers the first opportunity to acquire a visa under the new rules. An e-visa that could be acquired while aboard would not be valid come October 1st as things currently stand.

Sorry  did not know they were currently travelling  I thought  they were going early & would apply then

6 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Now if only the Canadian government had addressed the issues that Egyptians have getting visas to enter this country, we would not be in this mess. I speak from experience. My son-in-law (10 years) is Egyptian. He has applied twice for a visitor's visa to come and meet our extended family. Both times he was denied, despite his having: a job, a home, family in Egypt, a supportive letter from me detailing the events of the visit and a promise to get him back on the plane to Egypt at a specific date and time. I had our MP look into what we could have done differently, and they found nothing that should have triggered a denial of visa. It was an arbitrary decision by someone with too much power. 

At this time, I think the best course of action is to contact our government directly to negotiate with Egypt NOW for the convenience of Canada's citizens.

Visas are only good for 6 months.

That has always been our experience, just to get simple answers.

This is no different than the Brazil situation of Canadians need visas 

32 minutes ago, broberts said:

What would be "mercy"? Having passengers lacking required visas could result in the ship being denied entry.

The cruise line has nothing to do with the change and its very good lawyers anticipated such situations when writing the cruise contract and placed the entire liability on passengers.

"Mercy" would be the cruise line working with passengers to change dates without penalty or offering refunds...  

If the cruise line does not work with the full guest list, they are going to be denied entry to the country and then the cruise line is going to carry a poor reputation for not assisting their guests in some way.

This is not an anticipated situation and yes, I agree, that the lawyers wrote the contracts well, but that is for the occasional passenger that does not recognize their responsibility.  But for such a situation that leaves passengers with NO option to get the appropriate visa in the time permitting, the cruise line is potentially dealing with a full ship of passengers, not just one or two.

This is not the time for any business to laugh their way to the bank while passengers are paying penalties for not being able to sail.

This situation is out of anyone's control on both sides.  The cruise line - IMO - needs to have a part in this if it comes to loss.  It would not be good business to let a ship full of passengers forfeit their paid monies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wonder how some of the crew will be affect by not have a visa 

I know last year on our TA to the USA a lot of crew had to be switch as they did not get their USA visa in time for the sailing 

Is it all nationalities or just Canadians  for the new Visa rules ?

12 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

"Mercy" would be the cruise line working with passengers to change dates without penalty or offering refunds...  

If the cruise line does not work with the full guest list, they are going to be denied entry to the country and then the cruise line is going to carry a poor reputation for not assisting their guests in some way.

This is not an anticipated situation and yes, I agree, that the lawyers wrote the contracts well, but that is for the occasional passenger that does not recognize their responsibility.  But for such a situation that leaves passengers with NO option to get the appropriate visa in the time permitting, the cruise line is potentially dealing with a full ship of passengers, not just one or two.

This is not the time for any business to laugh their way to the bank while passengers are paying penalties for not being able to sail.

This situation is out of anyone's control on both sides.  The cruise line - IMO - needs to have a part in this if it comes to loss.  It would not be good business to let a ship full of passengers forfeit their paid monies.

Out of 2,000 - 3,000 passengers I would not expect the Canadian contingent to be more than a few dozen. While a cruise line may be willing to exert some effort, ultimately it's a very small problem in their universe.

• Like 2