Another side note/question on appreciation for cabin stewards?

Cheadle_Chick

Has anyone ever done anything else to show their appreciation for their cabin stewards? Like left them a little gift or something special in addition to a tip? Just wondering if this is done and what people have done if so? 

What is common to leave for a tip for cabin stewards and when do you leave it? New to cruising and definitely want to show our appreciation!  

Hi Cheadle,

We usually tip the cabin steward $10. Per day in addition to the prepaid crew appreciation. There was one time in our 16 cruises where our cabin steward was basically terrible ( not an HAL cruise ) needless to say there was no additional gratuity from us.

Finally , I have been told that some Doritos or Cheetos are pretty popular among the crew , so if you can safely pack a couple small bags with you  for them , I think that would be much appreciated. Needless to say , these extras are all optional and very much up to your discretion.

Hope you have a great cruise 🚢🍀

Welcome to cruising, to CC and to HAL!!

There is no real "customary" amount for additional tips and you'll likely see quite a few varied responses on that topic. There are numerous posts if you have time to review them.

We do give additional tips that varies from cruise to cruise because we base the amounts strictly on the service we receive.

We don't give anything other than cash, but I think that's a lovely idea and am sure the crew recipients appreciate them. There are also threads on that topic that could give you ideas.

The only "set amount" I leave is laundry - it's $20/week. I've never had less than superb service and feel like that's the right amount for me.

Unless you remove them, your cabin stewards, along with the dining staff and most others you interact with, will receive a portion of the daily grats that are billed daily (or that you pre-paid) to your cabin. While they appreciate anything additional you want to give, they certainly don't expect more. I've read that Room Service deliveries are the one exception as they are not included and volunteer to deliver for the tips. @crystalspin may be able to provide more insight. 

This is a very personal and highly debated topic. You'll need to judge the service you receive and consider the amount you're already paying by way of the daily grats then follow your heart.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Welcome to cruising, to CC and to HAL!!

There is no real "customary" amount for additional tips and you'll likely see quite a few varied responses on that topic. There are numerous posts if you have time to review them.

We do give additional tips that varies from cruise to cruise because we base the amounts strictly on the service we receive.

We don't give anything other than cash, but I think that's a lovely idea and am sure the crew recipients appreciate them. There are also threads on that topic that could give you ideas.

The only "set amount" I leave is laundry - it's $20/week. I've never had less than superb service and feel like that's the right amount for me.

Unless you remove them, your cabin stewards, along with the dining staff and most others you interact with, will receive a portion of the daily grats that are billed daily (or that you pre-paid) to your cabin. While they appreciate anything additional you want to give, they certainly don't expect more. I've read that Room Service deliveries are the one exception as they are not included and volunteer to deliver for the tips. @crystalspin may be able to provide more insight. 

This is a very personal and highly debated topic. You'll need to judge the service you receive and consider the amount you're already paying by way of the daily grats then follow your heart.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Thank you! I appreciate all of this info! Especially the note about room service being something to tip for! 

This is just a side note: but since you are new to cruising & Holland America, I thought I'd add it.  If you pre pay your auto gratuities, it will show up on your onboard spending account as a credit, then each day the appropriate amount will be deducted from that credit daily.  My son got really confused about this, so it helps to know up front.

Edited by Banditswife
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

This is just a side note: but since you are new to cruising & Holland America, I thought I'd add it.  If you pre pay your auto gratuities, it will show up on your onboard spending account as a credit, then each day the appropriate amount will be deducted from that credit daily.  My son got really confused about this, so it helps to know up front.

Appreciate this! Thank you! 

• Like 1

Use the “Let Us Know” feature on the HAL app. On my recent 14 day cruise, I used to do this every night before bed to give kudos to everyone who made my day special. Employees receive the feedback overnight, and they know exactly who gave them the feedback (positive or negative). 

• Like 6

I write Thank You notes and place them with an additional tip on my bed one day prior to my last day on the cruise.  The room stewards are so busy on turn-over day AND they may switch cabins, that I want to make certain that the proper stewards get the additional tip.  I’ve also developed the habit that, if it is a long cruise, roughly half way through, I’ll give half of that additional tip.  The stewards usually get a partial day off at one of the ports and I suspect that the additional funds are spent onshore.  (More than once I’ve seen my stewards stopping at a grocery store buying snacks to bring back onboard.)

Do I do this all the time?  No.  I don’t remove the usual tips, but I don’t give extra if the service doesn’t warrant it.  I DO always tip for Room Service.  That grin when you give the person who delivers the food is worth it!

• Like 2

We bring along regular small envelopes and hand them our cash tips for the cabin stewards and fixed dining stewards. On top of the crew appreciation service charge. 

Those crew members will leave you a card with their names on it - be sure to remember these names so you can mention them in any later cruise satisfaction survey or while on board on your Navigator. That is always welcome too. 

We only tip extra for those who have provided long-term daily care onboard. For us that is just cabin and dining. For others when they frequent a particular bar, they often leave tips for their favorite bar tenders.  We do not tip for occasional room service, nor laundry.

I like the idea we are on a "cashless" ship, and do not need to "buy" our way into getting included regular service.  Others genuinely enjoy showing more direct cash appreciation for their services. Just to let you know you don't have to spend your time handing out a flurry of cash, to enjoy your days on board. Just unpack once,  and take care of any of your bills only at the end of the cruise. 

One reason we ended up mainly on HAL ships is my husband's observation: the crew is still nice to you ***after*** you give them their tips.  His experience had been just the opposite on other cruise lines.

• Like 4