Butler Team Service in SS - Please Post Current Cruisers Comments on your Experience.

JDPCruisers

There has been a number of threads on the change in SS butler service away from a dedicated butler to a butler team, but I don't recall seeing comments from anyone currently on board in a SS about what their experience has been? No real change, a different process, requests go unfilled, the service is non-existing, etc.?

Would appreciate any real-life experiences and thank. 

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Here is link to one persons experience.

Thanks for the reminder on this one! I read through the thread and if our experience on Connie in Dec is like hers was on Equinox, nothing to be concerned about and I'll post about it. Hopefully, if more people have a chance to post their positive experiences it will allay any anxiety.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Thanks for the reminder on this one! I read through the thread and if our experience on Connie in Dec is like hers was on Equinox, nothing to be concerned about and I'll post about it. Hopefully, if more people have a chance to post their positive experiences it will allay any anxiety.

We will be on the Edge in 2 months so we will see for ourself.  We don’t ask much of the butler, juice on sea days, occasionally a snack and previously keeping the mini bar stocked with water and soda.

Following in hopes that more first hand experience comes in. I am a bit fascinated. The few times this question has been posed since the changes to the butler program the thread gets nearly no traffic as opposed to the hundreds of posts that are only wild speculation and assumptions. Very strange considering the high number of Sky Suite cruisers posting here. 

The Sky Suite cruisers have to be on or completed a cruise to have the info OP and other would like.  Since the change is only occurred about 2 weeks ago it may be early for first hand accounts.  The vast majority of cruisers are not on Cruise Critic.

• Like 3

Today will be the last day of my 9 days cruise on Reflection from August 24-September 2

Have never seen butler teams on my sailing except on the last day there were two at the corridor greeting.

When Iapproached him he did know my name

I just wonder where he was during the 9 days I was onboard ?

I have been on so many suite cruising I can tell you this is the worst cruise experience that happened to me.

I swear I will never book a Sky suite again.

I don’t think they deserved the included tipping.it will be more fair to go to the room attendants since all the works is done by them.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 39august said:

Was there anything you requested of the "team", please? How many concierges in the Retreat Lounge,? 

I am a very low maintenance guy.

Never request any services but at least the butler should have come and introduce themselves.

I always take care of them but not this cruise.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, verizon said:

Today will be the last day of my 9 days cruise on Reflection from August 24-September 2

Have never seen butler teams on my sailing except on the last day there were two at the corridor greeting.

I have been on so many suite cruising I can tell you this is the worst cruise experience that happened to me.

I don’t think they deserved the included tipping.it will be more fair to go to the room attendants since all the works is done by them.

Were you aware that the Sky Suites no longer had dedicated Butler?  There are 2 Butlers who are in the Retreat and coordinate the services to your suite, e.g. food delivery, laundry pick up and delivery, dining reservations etc.

Did you see or meet your Retreat Host/Cabin Attendant? 
They are now responsible for the day to day things that the Butler previously did for Sky Suites.  

Edited by jelayne
typo
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Were you aware that the Sky Suites no longer had dedicated Butler?  There are 2 Butlers who are in the Retreat and coordinate the services to your suite, e.g. food delivery, laundry pick up and delivery, dining reservations etc.

They are now responsible for the day to day things that the Butler previously did for Sky Suites.  

There is a Head Butler supposed to take care of a few suite cabins.

To me he is invisible except the last day that is today.

I'm sorry you experience was not better, I hope you still enjoyed your cruise.

With the changes I'm not expecting to see a Butler unless I go the the Retreat Lounge and then only if I have  a request or question.  From what I read the Retreat Host/Cabin attendant has responsibility for 7 suites vs previously when they had 12 - 18.  That is the person who is the one I expect to see the most and have provide what we need.

I though the Head Butler was responsible for the  dedicated Butlers and the Butlers in the Retreat Lounge and the team of Retreat Hosts .  But it is still unclear to me.  

I guess when we board I'll just ask each of them what their role is.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, verizon said:

I am a very low maintenance guy.

Never request any services but at least the butler should have come and introduce themselves.

I always take care of them but not this cruise.

I think the 2 butlers of the butler team are there to service requests IF asked, similar to the Retreat concierge(s)...it would take forever for them to go to each Sky Suite to introduce themselves, as there are just 2 of them and many, many, many Sky Suites.

This conversation reinforces my belief that Celebrity's comunication is dreadful. 

Why should it be so unclear who is responsible for what? Why should anyone in a suite go 9 days without seeing anyone from the Butler Team? Why should "I think the 2 butlers are..." even be a thing?

I am not blaming the posters here for what they are saying. At all. 

Y'all are paying a pretty penny to be in Retreat. You should have a really good idea of what you can expcet onboard, and you certainly should have met members of the team before Day 9. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that a great deal of the negativity on message boards and social media about Celebrity could be avoided with decent communication. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, verizon said:

If you didn’t ask for or need anything what specifically made this your worst cruise experience ever? Was it just the missing introduction? The Head Butler is supposed to coordinate the butler team not necessarily be the one providing service to cabins. 

26 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I think the 2 butlers of the butler team are there to service requests IF asked, similar to the Retreat concierge(s)...it would take forever for them to go to each Sky Suite to introduce themselves, as there are just 2 of them and many, many, many Sky Suites.

if they dont come around to say hello, no extra $.. and your tip is being used to service someone else. I suppose these sky  suite tips cannot be   reduced? good deal for them

9 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

This conversation reinforces my belief that Celebrity's comunication is dreadful. 

Why should it be so unclear who is responsible for what? Why should anyone in a suite go 9 days without seeing anyone from the Butler Team? Why should "I think the 2 butlers are..." even be a thing?

I am not blaming the posters here for what they are saying. At all. 

Y'all are paying a pretty penny to be in Retreat. You should have a really good idea of what you can expcet onboard, and you certainly should have met members of the team before Day 9. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that a great deal of the negativity on message boards and social media about Celebrity could be avoided with decent communication. 

This was applicable before the shift to a team. I don’t even know the roles. Head Butler, Butler,  Retreat Host, Retreat Concierge? Retreat Manager? Cabin Steward? Previously if I dial the butlers extension it’s rarely been our assigned butler who answers the call. We have a few months before we are in a suite again but I assume if I stop by the lounge and simply ask who does what and what the expectation should be they can provide some clarification.

Just disembarked Millennium from the 8/25/23 7-day Southbound Alaska cruise in a Sky Suite. We’ve sailed numerous times with Celebrity and have long loved their product. Here’s the feedback I provided on Celebrity’s Feedback Form (specific minutia as requested by the Retreat Host):

Froilan (Luminae), Jewel (Luminae) & Fernando (Luminae) provided fabulous personalized service and are an asset to Millennium. Overall, the cruise was good, but the experience was noticeably inferior to our past experiences on Millennium, Summit, Reflection, Solstice and Eclipse despite significantly higher prices.

The unannounced removal of butlers from Sky Suites is a strong disincentive to rebook Suite-level cabins and felt misleading as it was unannounced between our time of booking/payment and departure. We are used to daily canapés, non-alcoholic mini-bar service and over-the-top pleasant surprises from our butler. New policy eliminated all of this. Retreat staff admirably tried to compensate for service reduction policies, but corporate policy ultimately rules and we can’t rely on expected service-levels for future cruises.

On an unexpected sunny, warm day in Alaska, we spent 45-60 minutes in the Retreat sundeck jacuzzi which was unstaffed from 5p-6p so drinks were unavailable.

Loss of self-service wine in the Retreat Lounge was noticed as was the unavailability of premium water selections. 

In the past, we regularly ordered & received premium Orange Juice at breakfast in Oceanview Cafe, but it seemed that our Premium OJ orders were filled with the standard unappealing OJ from the self-serve stations.

We missed the blintzes we usually enjoy in Oceanview for breakfast, but didn’t see them at all this trip.

The “premium” wi-fi frequently froze and provided extremely limited bandwidth (suggesting ”premium” is suitable for streaming is beyond laughable as it barely worked at times for basic web browsing). The selection of TV channels has been reduced and those frequently stuttered or had “no-signal”.

Years of Celebrity cruises set our expectations high and we’ve frequently raved about Celebrity being a step above, but we now have to be open to exploring alternative higher-end cruise providers to regain what Celebrity has voluntarily given up. With an expected increase in our travel frequency due to near-term retirement, we’ll miss being able to rely on Celebrity for consistent service and unforgettable experiences.

We hope that Celebrity returns to its prior level and convinces us to try again.

Edited by Cruiser_Steven
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 9

1 minute ago, paulh84 said:

This was applicable before the shift to a team. I don’t even know the roles. Head Butler, Butler,  Retreat Host, Retreat Concierge? Retreat Manager? Cabin Steward? Previously if I dial the butlers extension it’s rarely been our assigned butler who answers the call. We have a few months before we are in a suite again but I assume if I stop by the lounge and simply ask who does what and what the expectation should be they can provide some clarification.

I get it. After all, if I had a dollar for every "I'm going to be in a suite, what does a butler do?" posts, I might be able to afford to book a suite. 

I just think that improving comunication would benefit both passengers and X by generating goodwill and decreasing confusion and frustration. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I get it. After all, if I had a dollar for every "I'm going to be in a suite, what does a butler do?" posts, I might be able to afford to book a suite. 

I just think that improving comunication would benefit both passengers and X by generating goodwill and decreasing confusion and frustration. 

Well said, as usualimage.png.5975bcd0277cede118b63cecf1bfd872.png

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Jeylayne,  again is his first hand knowledge or are you speculating?

13 minutes ago, LMHSRN said:

Jeylayne,  again is his first hand knowledge or are you speculating?

See post #2 in where I linked a thread from someone who was on the Equinox and reported their experience.  Also there have been posters who have shared the written and phone responses from X on how services will be provided to SS guests.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruiser_Steven said:

Just disembarked Millennium from the 8/25/23 7-day Southbound Alaska cruise in a Sky Suite. We’ve sailed numerous times with Celebrity and have long loved their product. Here’s the feedback I provided on Celebrity’s Feedback Form (specific minutia as requested by the Retreat Host):

Froilan (Luminae), Jewel (Luminae) & Fernando (Luminae) provided fabulous personalized service and are an asset to Millennium. Overall, the cruise was good, but the experience was noticeably inferior to our past experiences on Millennium, Summit, Reflection, Solstice and Eclipse despite significantly higher prices.

The unannounced removal of butlers from Sky Suites is a strong disincentive to rebook Suite-level cabins and felt misleading as it was unannounced between our time of booking/payment and departure. We are used to daily canapés, non-alcoholic mini-bar service and over-the-top pleasant surprises from our butler. New policy eliminated all of this. Retreat staff admirably tried to compensate for service reduction policies, but corporate policy ultimately rules and we can’t rely on expected service-levels for future cruises.

On an unexpected sunny, warm day in Alaska, we spent 45-60 minutes in the Retreat sundeck jacuzzi which was unstaffed from 5p-6p so drinks were unavailable.

Loss of self-service wine in the Retreat Lounge was noticed as was the unavailability of premium water selections. 

In the past, we regularly ordered & received premium Orange Juice at breakfast in Oceanview Cafe, but it seemed that our Premium OJ orders were filled with the standard unappealing OJ from the self-serve stations.

We missed the blintzes we usually enjoy in Oceanview for breakfast, but didn’t see them at all this trip.

The “premium” wi-fi frequently froze and provided extremely limited bandwidth (suggesting ”premium” is suitable for streaming is beyond laughable as it barely worked at times for basic web browsing). The selection of TV channels has been reduced and those frequently stuttered or had “no-signal”.

Years of Celebrity cruises set our expectations high and we’ve frequently raved about Celebrity being a step above, but we now have to be open to exploring alternative higher-end cruise providers to regain what Celebrity has voluntarily given up. With an expected increase in our travel frequency due to near-term retirement, we’ll miss being able to rely on Celebrity for consistent service and unforgettable experiences.

We hope that Celebrity returns to its prior level and convinces us to try again.

Thanks for this post.. we are not future Retreat candidates..once was Okay but def not now!.

Well done review.  The summary tells the story..at least for Millie.

Hope OP  or someone sends it in to the Exec ofc!

1 hour ago, Cruiser_Steven said:

Just want to address one issue you had for others consideration.  It is very common on Alaska cruises to have sporadic internet and perhaps even TV signals.  It's because of the remoteness of the locations.  I think it would be the case regardless of ship and regardless of cruise line.  We've experienced this on every Alaska cruise we have sailed (and we've sailed many, including last year)

I'm also curious - I don't recall ever seeing self-service wine in any of my retreat experiences (of which I've had fewer than 10, most in the last couple of years).  Was this common before? I don't think I've sailed in the Retreat on Millennium, but have on Apex, Equinox, and Solstice and maybe others, I don't recall.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just want to address one issue you had for others consideration.  It is very common on Alaska cruises to have sporadic internet and perhaps even TV signals.  It's because of the remoteness of the locations.  I think it would be the case regardless of ship and regardless of cruise line.  We've experienced this on every Alaska cruise we have sailed (and we've sailed many, including last year)

I'm also curious - I don't recall ever seeing self-service wine in any of my retreat experiences (of which I've had fewer than 10, most in the last couple of years).  Was this common before? I don't think I've sailed in the Retreat on Millennium, but have on Apex, Equinox, and Solstice and maybe others, I don't recall.

Some Retreat Lounges would have open bottles of a few wines that you could refill your glass.  Saw this on Edge and Apex but don’t recall seeing the open wine bottles on Beyond.
I haven’t seen self serve wine on any S or M class.