Could A New HAL Ship be Named Maasdam ?

mcrcruiser

• mcrcruiser changed the title to Could A New HAL Ship be Named Maasdam ?

As long as it is “Maasdam” and not “Nieuw Maasdam”. I would like to see Ryndam and Prinsendam re-used as well. I believe the new “Rotterdam” was initially supposed to be named Ryndam, although I am not sure if it had the Nieuw prefix.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, RD64 said:

As long as it is “Maasdam” and not “Nieuw Maasdam”. I would like to see Ryndam and Prinsendam re-used as well. I believe the new “Rotterdam” was initially supposed to be named Ryndam, although I am not sure if it had the Nieuw prefix.

Current Rotterdam was initially Ryndam (without the Nieuw). I suspect the next new ship name will be Amsterdam.

• Like 4

Why not? HAL has reused ship names any number of times over the decades. The current Rotterdam is the 7th in that line. There have been several named Statendam, as well as the strangely named 'Nieuw Statendam. Also several Volendams, a couple of Prinsendams, and ... . Well, you get the idea. 
There is no rule that a ship's name can't be reused. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think the next one will be Ryndam, since that was the selected name before Rotterdam VI was sold.

But who knows. HQ is always full of surprises. 

But I definitely agree with the "Nieuw" prefix BS. That should only apply to Nieuw Amsterdam, not other ships in the fleet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I think the next one will be Ryndam, since that was the selected name before Rotterdam VI was sold.

But who knows. HQ is always full of surprises. 

But I definitely agree with the "Nieuw" prefix BS. That should only apply to Nieuw Amsterdam, not other ships in the fleet.

Agreed.  They forget the -dam suffix was the catch.  Not sure why they tried to get cute with Nieuw for the Statendam.  Only place it should be used is Nieuw Amsterdam, named for the original Dutch colony that became New York City and in honor of the three predecessor ships of the same name.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hard to spell words with unknown pronunciation for a general English-speaking customer base can be a drawback. Just saying.

"Nieuw" is a bit of a tongue twister for the uninitiated. But easy as pie once one learns it is pronounced "New". (Or is it, in Dutch?) Could pie really be  pi-ee?

I remember a Swiss friend who  had fun with English pronunciations. He would always say "close - ed", for closed.

They had learned the English suffix "ed" often called for  a separate pronunciation, so it got separate billing when they saw it in a word.  Close- ed. The store is close- ed.

17 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

"Nieuw" is a bit of a tongue twister for the uninitiated. But easy as pie once one learns it is pronounced "New". (Or is it, in Dutch?) Could pie really be  pi-ee?

"Nieuw" and "New" are pronounced very similarly but not completely the same.
You can hear some pronunciations here (I prefer the 2nd, the 4th one is too exaggerated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 4:39 PM, richwmn said:

Current Rotterdam was initially Ryndam (without the Nieuw). I suspect the next new ship name will be Amsterdam.

That could be somewhat confusing, given that the Nieuw Amsterdam is still sailing.  Still, both the most recent Amsterdam (pre pandemic) and the Nieuw Amsterdam were both sailing during the same period.  But, somehow, it would seem to be a little confusing since one would expect that the latter would be the newer ship.  I would like to see HAL let the Amsterdam name RIP until there is only one ship with that name.  Not logical; just wistful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

"Nieuw" and "New" are pronounced very similarly but not completely the same.
You can hear some pronunciations here (I prefer the 2nd, the 4th one is too exaggerated

I struggled with pronouncing  the umlauted Ü versus the unaccented U when learning German.

Until my teacher drew a picture where the tongue was to placed against the teeth or not, when making the Ü sound. Made all the difference, which I could not pick up just by listening to the two very different U sounds.

Italian pronunciation also likes hearing at least a hint of every vowel, even when strung together in short words. As well as a slight explosion of separation when  pronouncing double consonants.

English has its weird rules sometimes, but is pretty straight forward in most pronunciations.

Edited by OlsSalt