Queen Elizabeth: New Pop Art Mural in Garden Lounge

Pushpit

I got an email about this today. Cunard unveiled a new Pop Art style mural in the Garden Lounge of QE on 22 August. The artist is Thierry Guetta, who despite all the red, white and blue in his creation, is French, and lives in Los Angeles. He is associated, let us say, with Banksy. Known as "Cunard x Mr. Brainwash" it is a patchwork of Cunard posters, dating back to the 1920s, with a feature of her late majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Mr. Brainwash is M. Guetta's nom de plume and is in this photo of the unveiling dressed in black.

image.png.b149f44df1498e1bb823b928fe0ad053.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I think it looks rather nice. What was there before?

I trust @Solent Richard won't mind me posting a link to his blog. His posts under "Queen Elizabeth - A Day Visit" include a photo of the Garden Lounge showing the artwork which was there originally. Looks like it was a scene featuring a pond with a statue and water fountain.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/08/02/queen-elizabeth-a-day-visit/

• Like 3

Hi, 

Please note that my photos of the new mural were taken before it was officially unveiled. The artist was scheduled to board the ship after my departure and make some "finishing touches" to the mural. I am not sure if any changes were made. 

Chuck 

• Like 1

image.png.eac32aca4dc3fb743b05df0e5e58fa01.png

image.png.776333ef1194b114f81b86e6e271a705.png

Well I for one think it looks dreadful.  As you can see the artist threw yellow and pink paint over it.  Or as Cunard put it:

After the big reveal, Mr Brainwash added a unique finishing touch by spray‑painting his signature graffiti style to complete the piece.

• Like 3

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (first quoted in Greece, 3rd century B.C.)."

And the more you see, the more you learn!  

(Picasso's Guernica is a recognized masterpiece, but in my home I would prefer the glorious flowers of Monet--a bit more soothing. However, I truly and always appreciate the human creative spirit!)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I trust @Solent Richard won't mind me posting a link to his blog. His posts under "Queen Elizabeth - A Day Visit" include a photo of the Garden Lounge showing the artwork which was there originally. Looks like it was a scene featuring a pond with a statue and water fountain.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/08/02/queen-elizabeth-a-day-visit/

Thank you. Never a problem @bluemarble  . Over 700 followers currently.

10 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I love it just sad I will never be able to see it as I don’t fly and as QE is not due home anytime soon 

Same here. She’s my favourite. Actually, sailings from Barcelona would be possible, using the train, with a stopover in Nîmes. But rather a hassle.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Same here. She’s my favourite. Actually, sailings from Barcelona would be possible, using the train, with a stopover in Nîmes. But rather a hassle.

Yes good plan but too much for me on my own.I only live 40 mins away from Southampton and have access to free parking so only chose that option.  Looks like will be more QM2 or QA in the future as even QV seems to deserting Southampton 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Yes good plan but too much for me on my own.I only live 40 mins away from Southampton and have access to free parking so only chose that option.  Looks like will be more QM2 or QA in the future as even QV seems to deserting Southampton 

Exactly how I feel. Sailing from Southampton is so trouble free, except we have to pay. I just hope I like QA.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I have decided to set my “like” bar for Q A quite low so hopefully will not be disappointed. 

Well, we are going on her second voyage, so I shall expect everything to be smart and gleaming, but shall also expect a degree of organisational chaos while everyone sorts out where everything is and what they are supposed to be doing. I think the impressions of the interior I have seen so far seem rather nice.

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, we are going on her second voyage, so I shall expect everything to be smart and gleaming, but shall also expect a degree of organisational chaos while everyone sorts out where everything is and what they are supposed to be doing. I think the impressions of the interior I have seen so far seem rather nice.

My glass is half full so I won't look for 'issues'. We are quite prepared for organised chaos for the first few cruises. It's the price we're prepared to pay for QV to be fly/cruising most of '24.

As long as passengers smile, even if it's a resigned smile if things go a bit wonky and staff do their darndest to 'shape up' as best they can then we'll all have a great time.

• Like 3