Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

Hi Jim,

I have been following many of your previous “LIVE” posts, but have never posted.  Thank you for all the great information.

I am a native Buffalonian and along with my husband (who lived in the Niagara region of Ontario for years), we are very familiar with the area.  Please let me know if you have any questions or need any suggestions about what to do in Port Colborne.  I would highly recommend Niagara-on-the-Lake and the surrounding wineries.  

Also, when is the ship due to transit the Welland Canal?  We drove over to see one of the Viking ships transit last month and it was a fascinating experience.  We would love to see your ship and wave, schedule permitting!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/22/23837206/ozlo-sleepbuds-bose-sleep-earbuds

Ozlo  - a play on Oslo

My batteries are still going strong after 4 years but my left is wonky.    I got a replacement on Ebay -   Someone had a listing for theirs for parts as their dog had chewed the right one up.      They were virtually new -   I sanitized it and purchased new rubber covers.   

I think I might also pre-order the new ones myself.   I can't imagine not having them. While helpful with a snoring partner -  they are really helpful in quieting down your mind.

Thank you Jim. I shared the link with my wife and she is excited.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I find them very comfortable but it had to do with finding the correct size tip. 

On a plane I usually listen to E-Books and also have a pair of Bose Over the Ear that have incredible noise cancellation.

Even the smallest ones are too big for me. I may get the courage to trim them down someday. I'm just afraid of making them worse. 

21 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will take a look.  If we all complain about costs of cruises wait until we book a hotel in Manhattan. 

Hi Jim, we live in Manhattan and let me know if I can help in any way! Theatre tickets, restaurant recs, etc. We can't wait to try a TA on the QM2. So exciting!

15 hours ago, the penguins said:

Glad to help. We are away for a few days will be happy to send you more tips/info when we get back.

We sailed on the Fram, inside cabin, on an itinerary that included : the Peninsula, South Georgia, several smaller islands in the Falklands and Port Stanley. 17 days total.

Our email is: geoffanita at hotmail dot com.

Geoff and the boss (Anita)

Thanks Geoff and Anita

2 hours ago, JackE said:

Hi Jim, we live in Manhattan and let me know if I can help in any way! Theatre tickets, restaurant recs, etc. We can't wait to try a TA on the QM2. So exciting!

Thanks Jack  -  I hate to say in on this thread but really getting more excited about QM2 than expected.    I've spent most of the day listening to YouTube videos. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Thank you Jim. I shared the link with my wife and she is excited.

I like the idea of them being able to track your sleep pattern.   Our fitbit's do that and always interesting to see how much I slept in different states.   I'm a light sleeper so my sleep score is always down around 68-72 while Iain is usually in the High 80's to 90.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Jack  -  I hate to say in on this thread but really getting more excited about QM2 than expected.    I've spent most of the day listening to YouTube videos. 

you may find a bunch of us on Cunard going forward..classy but not stuffy.. The Afternoon fancy Tea is not to be missed!  

• Like 1

Differences -

Phone Apps - 

Many on the Celebrity board complain about the App.   I guess I have become accustomed to it and really enjoy it.   I agree with all the comments that it can be buggy and not up to day until cruise date.

Ponant's app  is very basic and is more for information than a tool before and while on a cruise.   At lest what I can see at this point.

The Home Page simply lists your bookings -

They then have buttons for

Preparation - just boilerplate

Your Voyage -  Shows the itinerary -  you can see daily details of cruise and excursions including price.  (You can't book anything on the app)

Ship - Boilerplate and list of on-board services

More -

Ponant Moments -  Passenges send in pictures of their recent cruise and are included

Glossary - Seafaring terms

Glossary -  Winds and Tides -  Boilerplate explaining how tides work

Link to the ships Webcam

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

you may find a bunch of us on Cunard going forward..classy but not stuffy.. The Afternoon fancy Tea is not to be missed!  

I'm pleasantly surprised with what I've read so far.   Some of the quick differences I've noticed between Queens Grill -  equivalent CS and Above - fresh fruit daily, two bottles of wine or booze, All Suites (Princess and Queens Grill) have Butler Service, 24 hour Room Service for all rooms.   This is based on videos I've watched.

I did find out one thing.   The super duper fare I got has no perks and both passengers are required to purchase same drink package.

I asked my agent about it and he responded.

The Labor day sale promotion perks not included.  For an additional $1140 you can get Beverage Package ($70 per day per person), Gratuities ($16.50 per person per day) + $700 on board credit. Please advise.

I of course said --- Book It. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

I was impressed with their Afternoon Tea but the also have an optional one -  Godiva Afternoon Tea --- It is with a upcharge but includes Godiva Cakes and two Godiva Chocolates as well as tea,finger sandwiches and scones.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was impressed with their Afternoon Tea but the also have an optional one -  Godiva Afternoon Tea --- It is with a upcharge but includes Godiva Cakes and two Godiva Chocolates as well as tea,finger sandwiches and scones.

will keep that in mind.. that will shoot uo the blood sugar!

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was able to talk Bruce into the QM2 when I told him about the Godiva Cafe🤣!  He loves chocolate! We are doing thd Princess Grill as the Queens Grill was sold out.  Getting excited also! 

29 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

I was able to talk Bruce into the QM2 when I told him about the Godiva Cafe🤣!  He loves chocolate! We are doing thd Princess Grill as the Queens Grill was sold out.  Getting excited also! 

I was really surprised at how much of the ship was booked.   I guess the adage when you snooze you loose. 

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but you must watch Gary Bembridge on YouTube. He’s a Cunard fan.

We didn’t realise that in a suite when you finish a bottle it gets replenished!

Have a great trip and thank you for your enjoyable posts.

34 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Jim, when do you leave? I’m getting so excited to follow along on your new adventure!

I was thinking this morning that possibly I started a little too early with as much per-cruise information as I had.

We fly to Minneapolis on Saturday morning (3 days from today) and our Cruise begins on Monday. 

Iain was telling me last night that I seem more excited than I have ever been for a cruise.   I think he's correct.     Until I started this thread it seemed so far away and suddenly Bam..

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but you must watch Gary Bembridge on YouTube. He’s a Cunard fan.

We didn’t realise that in a suite when you finish a bottle it gets replenished!

Have a great trip and thank you for your enjoyable posts.

That is one thing I was trying to find out also.    I will look up his YouTube Videos.  

Not knowing that, the other thing I was originally looking for was  what size bottles.   As a non-drinker I think I worry more about this than Iain does -  and he's the drinker.   Just doesn't bother him.  

I'm off to pick up my Daughter, Alison who lives about 1 1/2 hours away so we can celebrate her birthday before I leave.

She is mobility challenged and finds it difficult to drive.    She's my miracle baby and has survived 3 fatal disease and has flourished.     I know we should never show favoritism toward our children but after living in double door isolation with her for 2 months she definitely has a special place in my heart.

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm off to pick up my Daughter, Alison who lives about 1 1/2 hours away so we can celebrate her birthday before I leave.

She is mobility challenged and finds it difficult to drive.    She's my miracle baby and has survived 3 fatal disease and has flourished.     I know we should never show favoritism toward our children but after living in double door isolation with her for 2 months she definitely has a special place in my heart.

I remember you telling us that story on the Apex, it brought tears to our eyes.... A Father's special bond... Love that you have that!  Enjoy every minutes with her. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was thinking this morning that possibly I started a little too early with as much per-cruise information as I had.

We fly to Minneapolis on Saturday morning (3 days from today) and our Cruise begins on Monday. 

Iain was telling me last night that I seem more excited than I have ever been for a cruise.   I think he's correct.     Until I started this thread it seemed so far away and suddenly Bam..

Have read this thread and the one you are doing on Ponant Forum.

Welcome to the Midwest.  Our weather will be perfect this weekend when you fly into MSP airport.  Enjoy Milwaukee. and do  have a German dinner. My son went to Marquette University so I got to know some of the city during those years. I look forward to your cruise on a Great Lake  and on a French owned ship.

I sailed Celebrity for many years. Loved the M class ships. Then booked a Viking Ocean and have found my new favorite cruise line. It too is European  owned ; love  their service, ship design,  food and  their emphasis on the history of the  area you are visiting  and having a resident historian on board. 

I can feel your excitement about your new adventure , happy for you both.

Edited by Azulann

51 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is one thing I was trying to find out also.    I will look up his YouTube Videos.  

Not knowing that, the other thing I was originally looking for was  what size bottles.   As a non-drinker I think I worry more about this than Iain does -  and he's the drinker.   Just doesn't bother him.  

It’s full size bottles. We had a Cunard red wine and a Queen’s gin. 

When you finish them they ask what you’d like them replaced with. Mixers (Fever Tree) came whenever we wanted.

Also, and I got told off on the Cunard forum for this but….. you get the same table every night.

We’re not bothered by sea views when we eat but do like to be on our own. The Grills are quite tightly packed and if your new friends on either side of you aren’t to your taste then you’re stuck.

The reason I got told off is that a Cunard regular, who we met on the Silhouette, told us to give the Maitre d’ a discreet tip when we first arrived. We asked him to be seated in a table away from the masses. 

We were given a lovely corner and had a ball with amazing staff. Best few bucks I spent as our original table would have been hard work seeing who we were a going to be a few inches from!

Edited by swjumbo

I am interested to hear if there is much of a difference to your ride on the great lakes vs on the ocean. I have been told that it is a different animal.

Enjoy your time with your daughter! As a father of two, I can't imagine going through that. My son had open heart surgery when he was five months old and that was hard enough. Now he is 30 years old, just picked up his masters in education and loves teaching.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Oh well... you only live once.   

I know,   but if one goes off plan  too often one may  live shorter!  I am still on Metformin with sugars in range after many yrs!

Of course, I do allow for one IGLU and a fru fru drink a few times  per cruise,  and amaretta and baileys ( after dinner).

Not a dessert person but would def  weaken for a chocolate buffet!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DTR.

Our daughtert is a  BRAVE SURVIVOR

Our grandsons are special  gifts.

Live each day !

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1