NCL Jewel Viewing Decks

Steve in Omaha

We leave Vancouver on Monday for a 7-day Alaskan cruise.  Via a site with a webcam, I've noticed people in the absolute front/point of the ship while in Glacier Bay.  I've only been on 2 cruises, but I believe that front/point area was reserved for crew.  So does NCL allow passengers out to that viewing area while in Glacier Bay?  What deck is it and how do you get to it?  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Steve in Omaha said:

We leave Vancouver on Monday for a 7-day Alaskan cruise.  Via a site with a webcam, I've noticed people in the absolute front/point of the ship while in Glacier Bay.  I've only been on 2 cruises, but I believe that front/point area was reserved for crew.  So does NCL allow passengers out to that viewing area while in Glacier Bay?  What deck is it and how do you get to it?  Thanks!

I’m on ship now and yes they open it for viewing

Deck 8 forward

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve in Omaha said:

Same with Jewel's sister ship the Gem in the Panama Canal The crew will direct you and let you out there at that time.

Edited by sailingships
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve in Omaha said:

It is open only for glacier bay. It's fun to go out to look at see, but the railings are high, there are lots of people, and you are better off on an upper deck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sailingships said:

Same with Jewel's sister ship the Gem in the Panama Canal The crew will direct you and let you out there at that time.

I’m posting this photo I took in January in the Canal so that @Steve in Omaha can see the bow opened to guests. It is normally an area restricted to crew.  @BirdTravels is correct that the railings are very high. 

IMG_0802.thumb.jpeg.78f33d70305cf59d4f95cb80c64d36cb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m posting this photo I took in January in the Canal so that @Steve in Omaha can see the bow opened to guests. It is normally an area restricted to crew.  @BirdTravels is correct that the railings are very high. 

IMG_0802.thumb.jpeg.78f33d70305cf59d4f95cb80c64d36cb.jpeg

Thanks for the perspective. Very helpful for my 5' 1 3/4" wife!

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Here's a link to a current live review on Jewel. The poster showed a few photos from the open bow when crew did open it up for folks.

Yeah it was Hubbard Glacier day. The captain made an announcement that it was open to all

• Like 1