LAFFNVEGAS Alaska Bound...Live September 3, 2023 HAL Westerdam

LAFFNVEGAS

Here is what Tom and I had. First we are still  in Juneau All Aboard is not till 8:30 and it’s only 7. Alaska time. We had 5:00 pm dinner. There were very few of us in the Dining Room. 
We had for drinks the Holland America Sparkling Wine that we had a bottle of and had it sent to the dining room to be on ice. 
I have always said that the cruise lines NCL, Princess and HAL had the worst house Sparkling, I always called it rot gut swill😂 and refused to drink it but was shocked when I saw Wycliffe Sparking which is inexpensive but very tasty. It is a cross between Prosecco and moscato. Definitely a good move for HAL to have made.
I ordered the Seafood Deviled Eggs and they were good, then I ordered the Chile Rellenos and the No sugar added Almond Fruit cake. I was disappointed with Chile Rellenos it badly needed a red sauce or Ranchero Sauce, it had a strange lightly coated deep fried batter on it like panko and a lot of queso stuffed in the chile but it was dry. But the Chile was tender and tasty so that was a plus. Then the Almond cake was very moist and tasty 😋. Tom skipped starters and he had the Steak and Lobster. He was actually surprised that the lobster was very good as was the steak. Then he had the red velvet cake and said it was very good.

Overall we have felt the food on the  Westerdam has been much better than our last several Holland America cruises.

IMG_4483.jpeg

IMG_4485.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_4487.jpeg

IMG_4486.jpeg

• Like 16

Dinner choice would be Turkey Noodle Soup,  Salmon   and the Strawberry Crisp with icecream.

Lisa, interested in your  comments that the new HAL house sparking wine is an improvement on the previous one , which I called  "gut rot".  

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Late to dinner again-but isn't today Be Late for Something Day?

I'll try the arugula, artichoke and barley salad, Wiener style (huh?) Schnitzel, and the Almond fruit cake, along with the Aperol Spritz.

Every day is Be Late for Something Day at my house!!

6 hours ago, erewhon said:

Dinner choice would be Turkey Noodle Soup,  Salmon   and the Strawberry Crisp with icecream.

Lisa, interested in your  comments that the new HAL house sparking wine is an improvement on the previous one , which I called  "gut rot".  

Yes, cruise line "rot gut." Pol Acker is a running joke on the Cunard board.

So many good choices on the menu! Looks like a greater variety than we had on Eurodam this winter. I know this is a special Alaska menu, but I hope they get inspired for other itineraries, too. 

• Like 3

I am enjoying following your cruise journey. How does the general health seem about the ship? Do you notice many people coughing? We have friends currently on the Grand Princess and they say the entire ship is coughing.

Edited by 510picker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 510picker said:

I am enjoying following your cruise journey. How does the general health seem about the ship? Do you notice many people coughing? We have friends currently on the Grand Princess and they say the entire ship is coughing.

I have to say that was my fear, read of several Princess ships and NCL the same but oddly have not hear coughing and it so far seems to be a healthy ship. But keeping my fingers crossed 🤞🏻. The thing I found strange is at no time all the way up to boarding did we have to fill out a Health Questionnaire, that really surprised me.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I have to say that was my fear, read of several Princess ships and NCL the same but oddly have not hear coughing and it so far seems to be a healthy ship. But keeping my fingers crossed 🤞🏻. The thing I found strange is at no time all the way up to boarding did we have to fill out a Health Questionnaire, that really surprised me.

Glad to hear that and hope it continues that way. We didn't have to fill out a health questionnaire on our July New England cruise. Seems strange that they would do away with them.

• Like 1

I just realized I totally forgot to talk about our day in Juneau 😂 Well first it was probably one of the prettiest Sunny days we have had here espyfor September. Tom wanted Halibut like he had last time from The Hanger so we walked over there I wanted Crab Legs. 
My Crab Legs were good but but they were not the Jumbo Red King like Tracy’s has and no side came with it so paid extra for Onion Rings. They charged $70 a pound, I had just one pound. Next time we will go to Tracy’s but Tom got to enjoy his Halibut.

We then walked around town and in a few shops. Did not see anything that jumped out at me that I needed to buy.

Today is Hubbard Glacier and we actually do not arrive at Hubbard till 2:00 pm, that is the latest I ever remember arriving at a Glacier. We have 12:30 lunch reservations in Pinnacle Grill so playing lazy this morning and will just grab a little bite in Lido shortly for breakfast.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I just realized I totally forgot to talk about our day in Juneau 😂 Well first it was probably one of the prettiest Sunny days we have had here espyfor September. Tom wanted Halibut like he had last time from The Hanger so we walked over there I wanted Crab Legs. 
My Crab Legs were good but but they were not the Jumbo Red King like Tracy’s has and no side came with it so paid extra for Onion Rings. They charged $70 a pound, I had just one pound. Next time we will go to Tracy’s but Tom got to enjoy his Halibut.

We then walked around town and in a few shops. Did not see anything that jumped out at me that I needed to buy.

Today is Hubbard Glacier and we actually do not arrive at Hubbard till 2:00 pm, that is the latest I ever remember arriving at a Glacier. We have 12:30 lunch reservations in Pinnacle Grill so playing lazy this morning and will just grab a little bite in Lido shortly for breakfast.

Oops forgot to add pictures 

BTW the two NCL ships we sailed both in the Las 12 months, the Bliss we were on in November of 2022 and the Encore just 7 months ago in February. Also a picture of Windstar Star Breeze.

IMG_4462.jpeg

IMG_4463.jpeg

IMG_4461.jpeg

IMG_4465.jpeg

IMG_4473.jpeg

IMG_4470.jpeg

IMG_4474.jpeg

IMG_4475.jpeg

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4479.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

LAFFNVEGAS - My stepfather and I were on the Zuiderdam this summer for 35 days.

We did not have to fill out a health questionnaire. There were no announcements about covid, but the Captain reminded people to wash their hands. I wish you all the best. Thanks for posting the beautiful pictures and dinner menus! 😊

• Like 1

We have done quite a few Alaska Cruises and a tradition on the day we go to the Glacier is to have Lunch in the Pinnacle Grill, so we can play What’s For Lunch? Pinnacle Grill version
Here is the menu selection, we are heading there in 30 minutes 

IMG_4489.png

IMG_4490.png

IMG_4491.png

IMG_4492.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mmmm - it all looks so good!  First time playing and I'd like to order the grilled prawn bruschetta, broiled Alaskan king salmon, and warm fudge brownie, please and thank you!  Certainly makes my at-home dinner tonight sound pretty pathetic.

~Bernadette

Edited by Ciaranaman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

What a great menu.  I'll have the prawn bruschetta, Pinnacle burger, coconut trifle, and red wine, please.

Glacier Bay is one of my most favorite memories of our cruise to Alaska.  When you have a chance...I am thinking of doing lunch in the Pinnacle on one of our scenic cruising days in Antarctica on the Oosterdam.  But, only if it is easy to get a table by a window.  Any thoughts?  Thank you again for this fun game and letting us cruise with you.  Cherie

• Like 2