Tom’s Port Guides

N 2 Sun

I have been searching the internet trying to find the wonderful Tom’s Port Guides but am having no luck….even when using the Wayback Machine…..I can get to the first page but no individual port guides will open. First of all, I’m worried about this wonderful man that produced these amazingly helpful guides….I hope he knows how beloved he and his work are. Next, I really need to use his guides for some upcoming cruises.

Does anyone know how to access the guides?

Does anyone know if Tom Sheridan is alright?

Marilyn

I’d like to suggest to the content creators who put up thousands of YouTube videos to make videos covering ports because it’s a big blind spot when it comes to cruise content. Some of us still cruise for the destination lol. Especially those areas where there’s a ton of different stops and itineraries would be helpful (Norway, Med, Spain especially) to have an idea of what’s best. Also which ports are dock right in city, free shuttle or pay shuttle. I know there’s Google but if someone is going to make the 500th video on a cruise ship review maybe some port content would be nice lol

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

There are PLENTY of Port guide resources on the internet. If he hasn't had any updates in several years thing have changed, especially since the pandemic. I would honestly move on.  

Yes, there are other sources of info. I think some of the concern is whether Tom is okay. His guides suddenly vanished. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

I’d like to suggest to the content creators who put up thousands of YouTube videos to make videos covering ports because it’s a big blind spot when it comes to cruise content. Some of us still cruise for the destination lol. Especially those areas where there’s a ton of different stops and itineraries would be helpful (Norway, Med, Spain especially) to have an idea of what’s best. Also which ports are dock right in city, free shuttle or pay shuttle. I know there’s Google but if someone is going to make the 500th video on a cruise ship review maybe some port content would be nice lol

Brilliant idea. The video maker could follow the model Tom Sheridan always followed in his great guides (list taken from his now defunct Facebook page):

The Top Ten Questions About Cruise Ports & Shore Excursions
1) Where is the cruise port?  
2) Where does the ship or ship’s tender dock?
3) If there is a shuttle bus from the ship, where does it drop me in the city?
4) What are the top tourist attractions and things to see and do from the port?
5) Can I walk to the tourist sites or do I need transportation?
6) Can the major tourist attractions be reached by public transportation?
7) Where can I find maps for public transit bus, metro, train, & HopOn buses?
😎 Is rental car an option to tour the area?
9) Does a walking tour involve steeply inclined, difficult to walk streets, and/or climbing stairs?  Where are the elevators, funiculars, or buses to avoid walking up steep streets and stairs?

If someone would make videos answering these questions, it would be most helpful. 

10) How much time do I have for my shore excursion?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

https://www.whatsinport.com/

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, there are other sources of info. I think some of the concern is whether Tom is okay. His guides suddenly vanished. 

TBH that's neither here nor there. Unfortunately people do pass away. His last Facebook post was March 28,2019, four and a half years ago. That's a long time ago. 

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

With Tom's Port Guides obviously gone, I find this site much more helpful than I would videos.  Here I can cut and past a snippet (or more) and keep (and print) information of interest, maps, etc.  Can't do any of that with videos.

Been using whatsinport.com for many years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Yes I’m aware of that resource. I know Google is not barren, just saying I know content creators read these boards and if they are making videos on their cruise experience regardless some content on ports of call would be helpful. It’s also nice to see a visual, have someone explain their experience as well, which is why travel content is so popular on YouTube to begin with. 

Ot doesn’t have to be a guide book, just as simple as which of these 20 ports in Norway or Spain are the best would be a starting point lol. 

As far as Tom, if all his existing content has vanished then I’d think it was more he sold it than something happened to him. 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

There’s a lot of content being put out by younger millennials on YouTube.  They are less likely to cruise, but instead, they travel and seem to fund it with video views.  Most are young couples and they record with outstanding 4K video.  Most on cruises don’t have the time in port to properly set up.  There’s some content out there, but nothing on point of what you are looking for.  The What’s In Port website is pretty good.  The port of call boards on Cruise Critic has some of the best quality info anywhere, be it for Europe or Asia.  I go to Cruise Critic port of call boards first and then to Trip Advisor forums and always search YouTube.

• Like 1