Bar liquor availability

Jim and Monika

3 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

Question---Is it still the policy, that if you order a mixed drink (perhaps without any liquor package), while in port in MIA, before the ship leaves and is so many miles off the coast, then the federal/state tax will also be added?

Was this a policy on Oceania on a cruise you left out of Miami before? 

On 9/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, zteamtwo said:

Question---Is it still the policy, that if you order a mixed drink (perhaps without any liquor package), while in port in MIA, before the ship leaves and is so many miles off the coast, then the federal/state tax will also be added?

A sore subject (not about "O") but many ports (including Florida ports) do require ships to pay sales tax on drinks sold while in their waters.  In theory, the ship could decide to pick up the extra tax cost, but most lines do charge (this also happens with cruises in the EU).  That can also be an issue if one were to purchase a drink package (or upgrade) while in Florida waters...since they should be charged the local/state sales tax.  A few years ago, when we were on Celebrity, we bought a drink package (while in Port Everglades) and the charge was handwritten on paper so it would not processed (in the ship's computer) until we were well out in international waters.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 12:08 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

There is no price limit. There’s only a handful or two of top shelf Cognacs and Single Malt Scotches that are not included.

As for the wine: both packages (basic mealtime and prestige anytime) have the same list of available wines-by-the-glass. The list varies over time and is composed of mostly USD retail cost at home of $10-15 with an occasional $20+\- bottle in the mix.

IMO, the prestige package is best if you want higher end double cocktails. As for wine, we mostly bring our own and pay the $25 corkages for any wine we take out of the cabin. Pouring personal wine and carrying the glass to public venues is not allowed unless you pay the corkage for the bottle from which it came.

Hardly complicated: 

Basic: cheap wine by the glass at meals

Prestige: same wine and mostly unlimited spirits all day.

The most disappointing, to me, of these packages is that Oceania does not offer additional wines by the glass for the Prestige package as is done on other lines. Are those wines necessarily great wines that are added? No. But there is more to choose from and from various countries. To mostly have cheap US wines offered, and a very limited offering at that, without more by the glass offerings with Prestige is a big negative. We always bring some wine on board when we travel, but quantity will likely increase with these packages. We enjoy having a cocktail before dinner, and a cognac or port post. On sea days or short port days, a bloody or extra drink is common, so Prestige is probably our best bet with all the varying tax game played.

Comparing packages to Viking (upgraded includes a good deal more wine offerings), and all inclusive with Seabourn, Oceania is not at the top of the offering list    On these lines there is no corkage fee. And no taxes on the drinks. 

That said. Everyone has their different preferences around this subject, so it may be the opposite ranking for others who are perfectly happy with the O drinks programs. 

Does Oceania require that everyone in a cabin sign up for the Prestige package, or can this be done individually (a nice feature on Azamara)? I'm looking at traveling with my adult son, who likely wouldn't have more than 1-2 cocktails on the entire cruise. I'm likely on the value borderline and would probably sign up just to avoid any payment hassles, but not if I have to buy the package for him as well.

Just now, JYDCruise said:

Does Oceania require that everyone in a cabin sign up for the Prestige package, or can this be done individually (a nice feature on Azamara)? I'm looking at traveling with my adult son, who likely wouldn't have more than 1-2 cocktails on the entire cruise. I'm likely on the value borderline and would probably sign up just to avoid any payment hassles, but not if I have to buy the package for him as well.

no  each person can decide to upgrade  or not

No Sharing of course 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will be going on my first O cruise in a week so forgive me if this has already been addressed.  We are spending a few days in France prior to embarkation and would like to bring a couple of bottles of wine on board.  Is this permitted?  On Viking River Cruise we could bring as many bottles as we wanted.

57 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

I will be going on my first O cruise in a week so forgive me if this has already been addressed.  We are spending a few days in France prior to embarkation and would like to bring a couple of bottles of wine on board.  Is this permitted?  On Viking River Cruise we could bring as many bottles as we wanted.

Yes   bring as much as you like

you just pay the corkage  fee if you take  the wine to  a dining venue

1 hour ago, candy4040 said:

Yes, as many bottles as you want but for consumption only in your stateroom or pay a $25 per bottle corkage fee if you wish to take any to a dining venue. No taking glasses with you to dinner or any other public venue.  The official rule says there is a limit of 6 bottle per person, but Oceania chooses not to enforce the limit if folks play nice and obey the rules.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1