TSA Airport Not Sure Where To Post This

srobinet63

Since a lot of people fly to their cruise I thought I would ask this here.  If anyone has read my other posts you know that I have a special needs adult son.  He has never flown before and has Type 1 Diabetes.  We will have all of his diabetic stuff with us.  Since the TSA lines can be long and from my experience people are in a hurry what is the best way to help him through the TSA process?  If he goes first he might get ahead of me and walk too far away. If I go first will they let me go back and help him? We have connecting flights both going and coming home. I have only flown a couple of times so I'm anxious about it.  When I get to the connecting airport will I have to go through TSA screening again before boarding the next flight?  I live in South Alabama at the coast and we have to fly  to Nashville just to take a flight back to Tampa.  The return is Tampa to St. Louis then to Pensacola. My brother is in Tampa and we are riding together to Port Canaveral. 

You should go first.  Then they will let you help him. 

As for the connecting flights, just don’t leave the secure area or you will have to go through security again.

it will go fine.  Just remember to pack your patience.  Those security lines can get long.

best of luck and have a great cruise. 

• Like 2

I agree with the above. You can both stay together as you put your stuff on the conveyor and get in the same body scanner line. After you've gone through the scanner you can wait for your son on the other side, then retrieve your stuff. You'll only need to do this once unless you leave the secure area at the connecting flight. DW and I both go to the same ID checker at the same time and stay together throughout the process.

Edited by sparks1093

check in at the counter and explain your situation.  Request a wheelchair prior to flying (all legs) for your son.  They should have a representative push the wheelchair and get you through TSA together without even the pre-check.

Our experience with Delta:  we have pre-check, but we request wheelchairs because of our mobility issues.  They push the wheelchairs through a special entrance that jumps everyone.  They get first through in front of all others, even pre-check.  We do tip the wheelchair pusher $5 each time.

Depending on how much assistance your son needs TSA has a program called TSA Cares. It’s an excellent program to help passengers that need additional assistance. They work with Make a Wish, Wounded Warriors, Give Kids the World, etc. With that said it’s TSA employees volunteering and they are taken off their regular position at the airport so it’s not something that everyone should use because TSA is already understaffed it pulls a person checking bags, patting people down, etc. It may not be available at your home airport however if you think you need it you can request the service. https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/cares

Alternatively, you could pay a skycap to use a wheelchair for your son. They normally get through the line faster and will assist you with your luggage. As mentioned TSA PreCheck is extremely helpful as you don’t have to remove shoes, liquids from bags etc. Both you and your son would need it to stay together. 

18 hours ago, srobinet63 said:

He has never flown before and has Type 1 Diabetes.  We will have all of his diabetic stuff with us.  

If you are traveling with insulin or related products, that is exempt from all the rules associated with liquids.   You want to keep it in it original packaging and as soon as you get the front of the line advise them your are traveling with medication.  

TSA info at:  https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

I don't know how severe your sons disabilities are.  If you need special assistance on the flight or navigating the airport, most airlines have a medical desk that you can call a few days before and they can make arrangement ahead of time.  

• Like 1