Room Service Sky Suite?

39august

Yes room service is still free to Retreat passengers, all other classes have to pay for delivery. We will be on the Apex next week in a SS. I doubt you will be able to have a shrimp cocktail delivered to your mini fridge anymore as from what I am reading SS room service orders are being delivered by standard room service crew members. It may now be left out on a counter or table if you are not in the room.

• Like 1

I'm told you can place your room service order with your Retreat concierge team and they will handle it.  As for placing items in your mini-refrigerator, I'm not sure you have one anymore in SSs and Sunset SSs.  I phoned the Retreat Concierge 800 number last week to get some clarity on the changes.  The person I spoke with told me directly that the mini-bar refrigerator is now full of items that are NOT included.  I pointed out that all of the mini-bar items are already included in my Retreat premium drinks package and asked why there would be a charge for them?  He kindly acknowledged that I was correct, but that was now the policy.   This is asinine.  I asked if he would remove all my mini-bar stuff on my upcoming voyage so that I could fill it with things I drink from the Retreat Lounge.  He said that can be arranged. 

My wife is still trying to trying to talk me into keeping this reservation but this seems to be getting more stupid by the day.  

Edited by Winemaker_1
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Winemaker_1 said:

I'm told you can place your room service order with your Retreat concierge team and they will handle it.  As for placing items in your mini-refrigerator, I'm not sure you have one anymore in SSs and Sunset SSs.  I phoned the Retreat Concierge 800 number last week to get some clarity on the changes.  The person I spoke with told me directly that the mini-bar refrigerator is now full of items that are NOT included.  I pointed out that all of the mini-bar items are already included in my Retreat premium drinks package and asked why there would be a charge for them?  He kindly acknowledged that I was correct, but that was now the policy.   This is asinine.  I asked if he would remove all my mini-bar stuff on my upcoming voyage so that I could fill it with things I drink from the Retreat Lounge.  He said that can be arranged. 

My wife is still trying to trying to talk me into keeping this reservation but this seems to be getting more stupid by the day.  

I agree it is the dumbest thing ever. First day on the Apex next week our plan is to call the Retreat team and have our mini fridge emptied of all of the pay extra items. We have always done this in non-suite cabins too. Our Retreat tote bags will then be used to fill up on water and beer in the Retreat lounge to restock our mini fridge. We do not drink sodas so we don't need any of them. The extra exercise to walk to the lounge will help walk off more calories. This has to be the dumbest way to treat high paying passengers. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Winemaker_1 said:

For entry level suites it was never the policy that you could take whatever was in the fridge (and there are still fridges in all cabins). Sometimes butlers would empty them and fill them with your desired pop or beer but that was never official policy. It does seem silly as they are all part of the package but technically this is not a change. You just might have gotten lucky before. Of all the changes,  and there are many I don't like, this really isn't one of them.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

You just might have gotten lucky before. Of all the changes,  and there are many I don't like, this really isn't one of them.

Have to agree on that one, many things to push back against, but that one really isn't the one to fight over as it was always very specifically excluded for the Sky Suite.

It is an example where a number of the Butlers were willing to break the rules for the guests benefit, but with the change the rule breaking will have ended.

Can't claim they are included in the Premium Drinks package as that explicitly states it excludes the mini-bar...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, verizon said:

Hey butlers are you listening ?If you break the rules And get caught you will be Fired .

I really worry about the Retreat Team members being overwhelmed with requests for fridge emptying and restocking by guests who don’t know about the changes…They will be at the hard end of complaints too.

Wouldn’t it be better to leave the fridges empty with a card on top saying something like….

”The mini fridge is left empty for you to stock with items of your choice. If you would like it stocked with pay for items please phone……”

Surely this must be more hygienic too? I wouldn’t want to drink from a can that moves weekly in and out a fridge! The room attendant would not need to check and report usage at the end of the cruise, nor re-fill…

This would also, perhaps allow the Retreat Team some discretion in perhaps offering to get water, soda etc for guests with mobility issues or are elderly and can’t carry a bag full of drinks to their room…On reflection, however, the basket on the front of those mobility scooters may be ideal.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Have to agree on that one, many things to push back against, but that one really isn't the one to fight over as it was always very specifically excluded for the Sky Suite.

It is an example where a number of the Butlers were willing to break the rules for the guests benefit, but with the change the rule breaking will have ended.

Can't claim they are included in the Premium Drinks package as that explicitly states it excludes the mini-bar...

It is an unfortunate fact that sometimes bending rules in good faith can have repercussions.

I remember when free laundry was first introduced for RS and PH guests. It was listed as ‘unlimited’ and then just before our cruise became twice per cruise. We queried this on board and were told it was because many guests in higher suites are travelling with extended family and some were simply sending in the full family wash. In reality now whilst the ‘twice per cruise’ rule is there as long as the quantity sent in is reasonable there is no problem.

From a recent post ordering room service in a top suite from a specialty restaurant or Luminae is no longer allowed. Much as this disappoints me I am not in the least surprised. We would occasionally (perhaps once per cruise) request an in suite dinner 24 hours in advance from our butler. We would discuss what we wanted and it would be arranged. Sometimes our butler would offer something not even on any menu. However, in recent years there have been more guests reporting on CC they have ordered room service from Luminae and the speciality restaurants without pre planning and have been accommodated. I totally understand if many guests are doing this and frequently that this would put pressure on Luminae, the speciality restaurants and the butler service. What we had always seen as a ‘treat’ not a right in un upper suite had become to some an expectation and then becomes non sustainable…The inevitable consequence is the ‘reasonable’ guest only requesting occasionally and giving 24 hours warning has lost a much valued treat. 

On our next cruise in an upper suite I will discuss with the butler possibilities for one special meal and see what they can do…If they can’t I will sadly accept it…It is a treat not a perk attached to the room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, chemmo said:

It is an unfortunate fact that sometimes bending rules in good faith can have repercussions.

I remember when free laundry was first introduced for RS and PH guests. It was listed as ‘unlimited’ and then just before our cruise became twice per cruise. We queried this on board and were told it was because many guests in higher suites are travelling with extended family and some were simply sending in the full family wash. In reality now whilst the ‘twice per cruise’ rule is there as long as the quantity sent in is reasonable there is no problem.

From a recent post ordering room service in a top suite from a specialty restaurant or Luminae is no longer allowed. Much as this disappoints me I am not in the least surprised. We would occasionally (perhaps once per cruise) request an in suite dinner 24 hours in advance from our butler. We would discuss what we wanted and it would be arranged. Sometimes our butler would offer something not even on any menu. However, in recent years there have been more guests reporting on CC they have ordered room service from Luminae and the speciality restaurants without pre planning and have been accommodated. I totally understand if many guests are doing this and frequently that this would put pressure on Luminae, the speciality restaurants and the butler service. What we had always seen as a ‘treat’ not a right in un upper suite had become to some an expectation and then becomes non sustainable…The inevitable consequence is the ‘reasonable’ guest only requesting occasionally and giving 24 hours warning has lost a much valued treat. 

On our next cruise in an upper suite I will discuss with the butler possibilities for one special meal and see what they can do…If they can’t I will sadly accept it…It is a treat not a perk attached to the room.

Regarding in room dining from specialty restaurants while in an upper suite.

We were in a signature suite on the Reflection on August 14 and were told by the retreat manager that in room dining from specialty restaurants were no longer permitted for guests in upper suites.

We boarded the Edge in an Edge Villa August 26th and our butler had no problem delivering what we wanted from any of the specialty restaurants. I’m not sure if the policy changed between the 2 cruises or if there is some inconsistency’s between different ships?

40 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

We were in a signature suite on the Reflection on August 14 and were told by the retreat manager that in room dining from specialty restaurants were no longer permitted for guests in upper suites.

We boarded the Edge in an Edge Villa August 26th and our butler had no problem delivering what we wanted from any of the specialty restaurants. I’m not sure if the policy changed between the 2 cruises or if there is some inconsistency’s between different ships?

Reliably inconsistent seems to be the answer!

I can only ask when I board!

Edited by chemmo

Earlier this year in a SS our butler brought room service and set it up.   Also told us anything we wanted in terms of soft drinks and water will be refilled in mini bar. Never mentioned alcohol and we didn’t take any. 

Last week in a SS the room service team delivered it and it was room service we contacted to order it.   The delivery person offered to take it off the tray and set it up which was not necessary for us.  Our stateroom attendant (aka Retreat Team) never offered or mentioned room service and frankly he seemed so overworked I don’t see how he could.   But he was very clear that nothing, including non alcoholic, was free from minibar even with our premium package.  He did empty the minibar and put the contents on one of the cabinets.  

Edited by Raemk

3 hours ago, sixpackeddie said:

There has always been a good amount of inconsistency between ships.  Then posters return from great cruises where they got bottles of wine, room service from a specialty,  balloons, cake, wine, chocolate covered strawberries in their room on their birthday, gatherings with food and beverages in their suite at no charge.  Then others read of it and expect the same.  Next cruise they ask and if they get it alls good, if not likely they are disappointed and the butler or cabin attendants tip suffers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raemk said:

Our stateroom attendant (aka Retreat Team) never offered or mentioned room service and frankly he seemed so overworked I don’t see how he could.   But he was very clear that nothing, including non alcoholic, was free from minibar even with our premium package.  He did empty the minibar and put the contents on one of the cabinets.  

We also just ordered our room service the 'old fashioned way', not through our Retreat Team--who were constantly swamped.  The moment our steward/host introduced himself, he let us know that there were charges for the mini fridge items.  We asked him to clear it all out so we could use it for waters, which is all we wanted anyway. Truly he was just a steward--by Day 2 this was clear and we only asked steward-like tasks of him rather than burden him with tasks behind his ability;  better for him and for us.  All's well that ends well.

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

While in a SS we have never had room service for a dinner, only breakfast and occasional port day lunch.  Can a SS get room service for dinner from Luminae? 

We have had dinner in both SS and CS but only on ships which have dining table.  Luminae was not an option.  We had to order from MDR or RS menu.  Most times we had shrimp cocktail, French onion soup or salad, filet from kids menu, and dessert.  Especially nice on a late departure with no wind and light of the city.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have had dinner in both SS and CS but only on ships which have dining table.  Luminae was not an option.  We had to order from MDR or RS menu.  Most times we had shrimp cocktail, French onion soup or salad, filet from kids menu, and dessert.  Especially nice on a late departure with no wind and light of the city.

I didn't think a SS could order room service from Luminae, but I have recently read posts about doing this. On the Reflection last year when we had a very late lunch onshore we did order just a bowl of the French Onion soup from our butler for our dinner on our balcony table. That soup can be a meal in itself. I know we tried to order RS breakfast from Luminae and got turned down too.

14 minutes ago, 39august said:

So, did he empty the mini fridge, and if so, when, please?

Yes, he agreed to do it on Day 1, but it didn't happen until Day 2. Or more accurately, we emptied it out ourselves to make room for our waters and he then removed the items on Day 2.  Didn't really matter to us as long as we had space for the waters which we brought from the Retreat Lounge.

btw--ALL waters were still the aluminum bottles, no plastic to be found.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I didn't think a SS could order room service from Luminae, but I have recently read posts about doing this. On the Reflection last year when we had a very late lunch onshore we did order just a bowl of the French Onion soup from our butler for our dinner on our balcony table. That soup can be a meal in itself. I know we tried to order RS breakfast from Luminae and got turned down too.

We only ordered for breakfast due to 3 very early excursion departures.  Simple items so no difference btwn regular and Luminae eggs/fruit/pastry basket.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

We only ordered for breakfast due to 3 very early excursion departures.  Simple items so no difference btwn regular and Luminae eggs/fruit/pastry basket.  

I wanted to order the Huevos Rancheros and the chicken sausage from the Luminae breakfast menu which I could not do.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I wanted to order the Huevos Rancheros and the chicken sausage from the Luminae breakfast menu which I could not do.

Ah, true...though they did have some ok chix sausage in the OVC too...likely can write in that on the room service card to order it (hopefully).

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

I guess the plan of traveling with a group, not in the retreat, where one does a move up bid to a SS and then is able to supply beverages to all others in the group may be cut off too! Will they question someone who removes a large quantity of beverages from the Retreat lounge daily?? Will they restrict the amount you can take from the Retreat lounge?? Will they stop the fairly easy methods of converting NR OBC to cash?? What about manufactured spending that is currently doable on the ships - will that be cut off too??

OMG, what to do if they will get rid of the class system that makes me feel special and  everyone is treated the same. When will the changes stop!!

6 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Ah, true...though they did have some ok chix sausage in the OVC too...likely can write in that on the room service card to order it (hopefully).

I tried writing in the Chic Sausage and Huevos Rancheros on my RS card and my butler had to let me know that they were not available from the RS kitchen. I did find out from him that when I ordered omelets or scrambled eggs to write on the card "fresh eggs only", otherwise they used the premixed egg concoction that tasted terrible. I wish the Luminae breakfast was available for room service as I believe it is far superior to the MDR.